Rarity of a Daytona wagon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rarity of a Daytona wagon ?

Came across this wagon and am curious about the rarity of this model.
    Attached Files

If the Body Tag on the Right side of the Firewall says: 64V (or S) P8, it's a Daytona, otherwise it COULD be a P4 Commander, or even a lowest level P2 Challenger.

With the Body Side Mouldings gone it is hard to tell which trim level it is.
    If it HAS a Sliding Roof it is a "Wagonaire", if it is a Fixed roof, it is a Wagon.

All Studebakers are actually rare, but '64 Sliding Roof Wagonaires are rarer than Daytona 2 Door Hardtops, and 4 Doors.

The truth is, if you are trying to relate "Rare" to "Value", it really does not work, because "CONDITION" is the important factor here, not Rarity.

That Roof Rack, if it is in fair shape IS Rare!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-11-2018, 11:49 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

it is a sliding roof car, I was basing my question on the grill. I thought it was a Lark until I realized the grill was different.

Comment

Rich: If you enlarge the photo and look real closely, you can see the "D" outline of the Daytona script that was on the RF fender.

Just Lookin: Studebaker built 1,543 1964 Daytona V-8 Wagonaires and another 723 1965 Daytona V-8 Wagonaires, for a total of 2,266 that could look like that. One of them doesn't, mine, shown here still on the trailer from southern Texas the day after it arrived in central Indiana:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4241.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1721031

Exact color breakdown of how many 1964 Daytona Wagonaires were built in each of the colors is not known. However, I extrapolated the percentage of 1964 Astra White Daytona convertibles that were built, since that is known, and applied it to 1964 Daytona Wagonaire production.

Doing that indicates approximately 400 1964 Daytona Wagonaires were Astra White.

Here's another one of them, a rare Astra White 4-speed Daytona Wagonaire now owned by SDC Trim Parts vendor Will Sander:

Click image for larger version

Name:	64wagonaire4speed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1721032

(Click to enlarge any picture.) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have not looked but was told it has a SBC in it

Comment

Originally posted by just lookin View Post
            I have not looked but was told it has a SBC in it
            That's entirely possible, even if it is a 1964 model year wagon.

There was (still is?) a white 1964 Daytona Wagonaire somewhere along the east coast that's been for sale off and on for years, into which somebody put a SBC...and it went downhill from there. I corresponded briefly with the owner/seller when I was looking for one, and I bought mine five years ago! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

OR... if people cannot tell a 90 Degree V8 Studebaker Block from a narrow Block 289 Ford, what are the chances some can't tell a Stude. V8 from a Chevy?
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                OR... if people cannot tell a 90 Degree V8 Studebaker Block from a narrow Block 289 Ford, what are the chances some can't tell a Stude. V8 from a Chevy?
                also possibly that car in that picture may be a 1965 Wagonaire , you sure can’t tell which year it is without the side trim .
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It does have a SBC in it, rotted out sliding roof car with no tailgate !
                  Attached Files

Comment

If the Body Tag on the Right side of the Firewall says: 64V (or S) P8, it's a Daytona, otherwise it COULD be a P4 Commander, or even a lowest level P2 Challenger.

With the Body Side Mouldings gone it is hard to tell which trim level it is.
                    If it HAS a Sliding Roof it is a "Wagonaire", if it is a Fixed roof, it is a Wagon.

All Studebakers are actually rare, but '64 Sliding Roof Wagonaires are rarer than Daytona 2 Door Hardtops, and 4 Doors.

The truth is, if you are trying to relate "Rare" to "Value", it really does not work, because "CONDITION" is the important factor here, not Rarity.

That Roof Rack, if it is in fair shape IS Rare!

Rich if what you say is true how many 64 Daytona 2 door hard tops were built? I have always thought about 1200.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Not to send this thread down a rabbit hole, but my So. Cal. located, Canadian built '64 Daytona (with Commander trim) had a McKinnon 283/A-12 trans/flanged axle transplant at some time in its life. A real cornicopia of Studebaker-ness. Maybe this wagon needs a DNA test.
                      Attached Files
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

THAT IS really ODD!
                        Any sign that the Commander Side Mouldings were added along with the 283 Engine, Flanged Axle etc.?

You DO have a Daytona Interior, "C" Pillar Canadian Daytona Crossed Flags, Stainless Steel Door Window Mouldings, and NO Drip Rail Mouldings, so not likely a Commander. What about the Body Tag, is it a Y8 Daytona?
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          Rich if what you say is true how many 64 Daytona 2 door hard tops were built? I have always thought about 1200.
                          Not Rich. I have a number of 2414. In the past, I was told that the number that I used for the Canadian part of the total is incorrect and that the "true" total is 2734. In either case it is double your number of 1200.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Not Rich. I have a number of 2414. In the past, I was told that the number that I used for the Canadian part of the total is incorrect and that the "true" total is 2734. In either case it is double your number of 1200.
                            EDIT: If someone checks Fred Fox's Feature Article on these cars it would be interesting to see what he used for a total.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

THAT IS really ODD!
                              Any sign that the Commander Side Mouldings were added along with the 283 Engine, Flanged Axle etc.?

You DO have a Daytona Interior, "C" Pillar Canadian Daytona Crossed Flags, Stainless Steel Door Window Mouldings, and NO Drip Rail Mouldings, so not likely a Commander. What about the Body Tag, is it a Y8 Daytona?
                              Yes, Y8 on the body tag. The trunk lid and at least one of the front fenders, front valance had been replaced. Door jamb tag matches the faint "secret" number on the chassis back by the gas tank. I assume someone up in Canada had a bunch of parts sitting around and mix/matched to suit their needs. Not sure when it came to So. Cal. (maybe mid 90's) but lots of Canadian things in the trunk. Spark plugs, air filter etc. were all Canadian. It seems like the car basically came here..., then sat until 2011 when I bought it.

Rich, you commented 7+ years ago when I first got it (cleared up confusion I had):

Last edited by wittsend; 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X