Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 degrees here yesterday

Not that high today.

But life is good with 21.6 diesel horses, true 4 wheel drive and 72" of cold rolled 10 ga steel to attack the elements. Did I mention I had to turn down the cab heat because it got to warm.

Not a complaint as I enjoy this weather. I don't like heat and humidity so anything about 10 deg is fine.

Bob

It was -3° here yesterday morning and hasn't dropped below +60° all day today.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

-4F here in Fargo now. Was -18F on car thermometer on my morning commute this morning. Forecast for -24F tonight and remaining cold at least through Monday. We did have a couple days of warmer weather (30ish) from weekend through about Tuesday and then a winter storm came in with some snow and bad cold wind Wed/thursday. I-29 was closed from Fargo to Canada part of yesterday due to blowing snow.

So far seems the coldest winter in this area in about the past 7yrs or so. Won't be glad to see my December heat bill when it comes.

Jeff in ND

Comment

The next 5 days are 74, 76, 77, 74, 70 here slightly north, most west of Los Angeles. We never get to enjoy the snow like you fortunate folks. Sometimes the warm (not hot) sunshine can get so monotonous. In fact we can get "outdoor fever" and can't wait to get inside.

Perhaps a rarity in So. Cal. but I have exclusively heated my house with a wood stove, and haven't even had the heater pilot light on in..., 26 years. Since about March 2016 I've burned wood twice. For years my gas bill is $20 each and every month for cooking and hot water. Yea, we get our EQ's, brush fires, mudslides etc. but there IS something to appreciate even if it means living in a left coast liberal state.
        Last edited by wittsend; 01-12-2018, 01:29 PM.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

It has been strange weather, even for here, this winter - so far. On Sunday, it was -14F. Today, it got up to 60F. It rained all day and the snow is melting fast. There is water everywhere. Tomorrow, there is supposed to be a quick cold front coming in bringing temperatures down to single digits and causing everything to freeze up (again) and maybe have some sleet/freezing rain/snow thrown in.

EDIT: My fuel oil for heating our home was $728.46 for December.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

77 for the high on Sunday for the SAC annual banquet.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              It has been strange weather, even for here, this winter - so far. On Sunday, it was -14F. Today, it got up to 60F. It rained all day and the snow is melting fast. There is water everywhere. Tomorrow, there is supposed to be a quick cold front coming in bringing temperatures down to single digits and causing everything to freeze up (again) and maybe have some sleet/freezing rain/snow thrown in.

EDIT: My fuel oil for heating our home was $728.46 for December.
              Our weather has been much the same, nice November and early December. Then the bottom fell out with highs in the single digits for the rest. The 58 was a one day deal with temps now forecast in the teens and twenties for the next week or two. It melted all the snow, then replaced it with another 4-5 inches.

My gas bill is about 1/3 of your oil bill, I feel for those numbers.

The upside is Michigan North of the big cities is a great area to live in. Temperatures great for 10 months plus, minimal severe weather and seldom temperatures above 85 which is great for we heat haters. While my gas bill might hit the $300 range for a month or two, my AC bill is minimal in the summer and I can sleep with the windows open and enjoy the sounds of nature all night.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X