Fire Extinguiser Requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Extinguiser Requirement

I have used the search and could not come up with anything concerning the new SDC requirement for fire extinguishers. I know there was a notice on the Forum, but as I said I cannot find it. I also remember a corresponding announcement in Turning Wheels but I cannot find that either. Could somebody please direct me to that announcement either here or in Turning Wheels.
    I am heading up a caravan to South Bend and I want to make sure everybody has the proper fire extinguisher in their Studebaker. Thanks for the help
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Here you go.

(copy)
    SDC FIRE EXTINGUISHER MOTION
    “Failure to have an approved Fire Extinguisher will disqualify a Club member to display or enter their car into SDC judging at an official SDC sanctioned meet or show.
    The fire extinguisher must be UL listed or equivalent and fully charged. The minimum for all vehicles is a UL type 1-A:5-B:C. For fire extinguishers without a gauge; insure that the nozzle is not obstructed and the safety seal is intact. The extinguisher need not be permanently mounted, but must be clearly visible and readily available.
    When the car is on display, the fire extinguisher should be on the ground near the left front wheel. For Drive-through judging, the fire extinguisher may be on the front seat or floor, but readily visible and available.“
    This motion takes effect on January 1, 2017
    And........

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    I have used the search and could not come up with anything concerning the new SDC requirement for fire extinguishers. I know there was a notice on the Forum, but as I said I cannot find it. I also remember a corresponding announcement in Turning Wheels but I cannot find that either. Could somebody please direct me to that announcement either here or in Turning Wheels.
    I am heading up a caravan to South Bend and I want to make sure everybody has the proper fire extinguisher in their Studebaker. Thanks for the help
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have always carried a fire extinguisher in my Studebaker's and regular car and truck.
      Have seen too many cars destroyed by a wire short or carb popping back.
      Also remember a beautiful 57 Pontiac burned by a faulty fuel filter install.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks Jeff for the quick response. I do appreciate it. See you at South Bend.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hopefully a savvy vendor or two will bring a dozen or so...

Now here's an awkward question: We're opening up the car show to brands other than Studebaker. Will those entries be required to have a fire extinguisher? If they are, who's going to tell them with enough warning to comply?

Comment

Does this also apply to horse drawn vehicles?

Comment

Does this also apply to horse drawn vehicles?

NO, But I'm pretty sure a "shovel" would be appreciated by all!!! LOL

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

[QUOTE=52 Ragtop;1045927]Does this also apply to horse drawn vehicles?

NO, But I'm pretty sure a "shovel" would be appreciated by all!!! LOL

Jim[/QUOT..........Thank you Jim...........Humor is appreciated.....But you cannot discount the pain of losing your ride because no fire protection was available.
                A 5 to 20 BC extinguisher onboard is the cheapest insurance that you can buy...............

Comment

Well a guy could go all lawyer on that rule. It only applies to club members so presumably the non-members who bring their brand-x vehicles don't need an extinguisher. As for the horse drawn vehicles, OR trucks, that rule only seems to apply to cars.

Seriously, though, there are a lot of members and non-members who will be there that aren't on this message board. Someone better have a plan.
                  Last edited by BobWaitz; 03-26-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I just read through the Turning Wheels March, 2017 pages on the 53RD Annual Studebaker Drivers Club Meet....could find nothing on "Mandatory Fire Extinguisher" anywhere in the information or as part of the Registration Form. Seems that there could be a lot of frustrated drivers on Saturday Morning if the plan is to just simply turn them away.

Question: If I don't subscribe to Turning Wheels, Not on This form, But just show up at the fair grounds on Saturday Morning (Like I have for more than 10 years) ready to show my truck. What's going to happen?
                    Last edited by jeds55; 03-25-2017, 12:41 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Learning Curve....

If the new fire extinguisher law is going to be introduced by force at the South Bend show......Then at the least I think the club should have them for sale at the show gate on Saturday morning. At a fair price this might cut the frustration in half.

I can only point to the resignation form which makes no mention of the requirement or description of a mandatory fire extinguisher to enter the show.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

I actually think the SDC has been late to the party on this issue. I have been to many car shows and events in past few years that all require a fire extinguisher be present.
                        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I like that Freudian slip... 'Resignation form'...

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post
                          If the new fire extinguisher law is going to be introduced by force at the South Bend show......Then at the least I think the club should have them for sale at the show gate on Saturday morning. At a fair price this might cut the frustration in half.

I can only point to the resignation form which makes no mention of the requirement or description of a mandatory fire extinguisher to enter the show.
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by jeds55 View Post

.............Fire extinguishers should be made available to rent for the day.
                            that would ensure that the correct ones would be used........

Comment

OOPs never could spell - resignation = registration

Thanks Jeff
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X