Opinions, please: Aftermarket Navigation Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions, please: Aftermarket Navigation Systems

How about some members' input on aftermarket navigation systems? My wife and I ordered our new Ford Escape with the $799 factory navigation system built in. I really like it, but it doesn't do me any good in my truck when pulling a car trailer.

I don't have a smart phone because I'd be intimidated by owning something smarter than I am , so I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket navigation system for the trip east to deliver Bill Pressler's new (hey, it's as new a Studebaker as I've seen in decades!) '66 Cruiser...and some sights co-pilot Howe Clark and I plan to see after delivering it.

What do you guys / gals have to say about specific navigation system brands, experiences, etc? Do you have to pay an annual subscription fee and /or activation fee when you buy one?

Any information / opinions would be appreciated. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I use a GARMIN NUVI 54, works as good or better than some I've tried, it will at least get you in the right area but not always SPOT ON with an address.

Good luck

Johnny

Comment

Setting behind me in a box is a Garmin 2797lmt 7" GPS, ready for the road, including an excellent aftermarket windshield mount. I used it for a year or two before I bought the Ram with the built-in system which I like. This Garmin is, in my mind, the best portable unit available as the size 7" makes it easy to see and it has free lifetime map and traffic updates.

Here's my offer, I haven't used it in a couple of years. It's in great nick. If you want to try it for your trip, I'll send it to you for the postage. Use it, if you like it, we'll talk. If it's for a one time trip, just send it back.

I've had Tom tom's, Garmin's and OEM units. None are perfect but the newer ones are darn good.

Best I can do today. Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-23-2017, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Standalone navigation systems are expected to go the way of the Do-Do Bird within several years as most, if not all cars will come with them. I have a Magellan that works great but now both of our cars are factory equipped with nav systems.

What you can do is download Google Maps on your phone for free and it has real-time updates on road conditions. It's only drawback is that while it's activated it draws power down on your phone so leave it connected to the 12v power supply in the car.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have a couple of Tom Tom units and have been really happy with them. Their screens are a good size and the graphics are great. They have excellent support and lots of goodies you can add to enhance your GPS experience.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I started with Magellan years ago because I was used to them in my Hertz business rentals. Then my brother-in-law gave me a Garmin and I've been a fan ever since. I have a Nuvi for my wife's Pilot, even though I have an iPhone with a couple of navigation apps - I just feel that the way the Garmin navigates, and the route selection options, are more flexible than what's on my phone. Plus, the Garmin doesn't heat up from constant GPS activity and power flow

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Been very happy with our Garmin units. Just as good as our factory Toyota unit and maybe a little easier to use.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

My old Garmin unit that I gave to someone I didn't like very much was replaced with a new paper road map. The Garmin had me living two or three different places, changed the GPS location everytime it was used, and ....well, I really hated it. But, having said that, my wife while riding in a rental car with another lady and her "unit" had even worse luck on Oahu....a really small island !.... Nope, we're too old and have no patience I guess, and besides that, have never got lost or had trouble from reading a road map or asking folks that has "been there" . Just keep you head up, enjoy the "real" view out the window, and have a great trip Bob. (was this a rant ? ha ! )

Comment

For a few years, I used a GPS program for my laptop. I had installed one of those "Law Enforcement" type computer stands in my personal pick-up, and our commercial trucks. Since it was initially "state of the art," and I had no exposure to other systems, I was very pleased at first. I thought having the laptop size screen was better than the smaller dedicated GPS only systems. Then, I began having computer problems. When you are using GPS through a finicky problematic computer, things can go bad very quickly. One day, while home between trips, I commented to my wife about some of the problems I had been having.

A few days later, the UPS truck pulled up in my yard, and delivered a brand new Tom Tom GPS with lifetime map updates. (She bought it off the QVC shopping channel). After a few frustrating hours of trying to figure it out, I finally got up to speed on its features. That was back in 2006, and I am still using it! I think the Garmin brand is higher rated. All are probably improved over the one I use. As long as you purchase one of the major brands, I think you will love it. Expect a little learning curve, but as long as you realize that folks "dumber" than you are using them successfully... I know you are up to the challenge.

It wasn't until I quit using the computer and it's GPS program, did I understand how much quicker and responsive a dedicated GPS is. With an old slow computer, it is possible to drive faster than the computer can compute. That means, you can drive past your turn while the computer is refreshing. That's how, one morning, I found myself sitting in traffic on a Manhattan bridge, after missing my turn. Forty five minutes later, the guy at the toll booth had no sympathy, as I paid a toll twice just to turn around! Paying unintended tolls, to "Recalculate" directions, adds up fast!

Garmin, Tom Tom, or one built into a smart phone, I recommend one of the two familiar stand alone units. Get one, make a few trips and report back to us. I think you will be pleased.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I use a 1993 Rand McNally road atlas....

Comment

Thanks for all the responses...and those to come. I'll weigh all this as soon as my income taxes are done. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

garmin 760 rv 7" screen, updates for life....4 years running
                        Bill Foy
                        1000 Islands, Ontario
                        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I have a Garmin unit that I use when out of this area. I am satisfied with it.
                          I don't see how you can beat Bob's (sweeetolbob) offer.
                          My taxes aren't done yet either.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a Garmin but I rarely use it anymore as my new truck (2017 Honda Ridgeline) has one and so does my iPhone. The Garmin is fine except you have to plug it in to your PC periodically to update it. The iPhone and my Honda's unit get updated automatically.

One thing those standalone units like the Garmin are really good for is act as an accurate speedometer if you are driving an old car with dodgey instruments.

Bob: Get a smart phone. It's good for an awful lot of things. Really. Look at this website from 2014 -- you can do everything in this 1991 Radio Shack full page ad on a smartphone:
                            2014-01-16-radioshackadSMall.jpgThere are 15 electronic gimzo type items on the page, being sold from America's Technology Store. 13 of the 15 you now always have in your pocket.

Comment

Google maps and my phone generally works pretty well. You can enter a destination and get turn-by-turn directions. It has been very accurate and gives you choices whether to take the shortest or fastest route. I have a state highway map as a back-up.
                              John
                              1950 Champion
                              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                              Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                              X