Thread: Beautiful '48 Champion on eBay

Speedster Member

Beautiful '48 Champion on eBay

The whole thing looks very original to me (except maybe for some of the carpet), though I sort of wonder about the cream color of the wheels. Is that correct for this body color?

I love the wood grain of that interior and the original Burlington Motor Sales service-record sticker. Did they ever have that wood grain on convertible interiors in the late '40s, or was it just for enclosed body styles?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Studeba...tYzf~q&vxp=mtr

I have no relation to the seller.

Have no idea what the owner expects as a sale price, but the ad seems to be written by a knowledgeable Studebaker owner. A great example of the Regal trim. If I had pics available of the interior of my '48 Business Coupe, I could give a good comparison of the difference. For example, my white colored steering wheel looks more like the ones used in the pick-ups, with only a horn button and no horn ring.

My dash is painted, with the instrument panel having a wood grain look finish. If this car is mostly as original as the seller states, I doubt we will see many (if another) Champion four door, with the potential of restoration that comes close to making financial sense. Most of these type of cars get restored as a "labor of love," and costs much more than they would ever sell for. This could be a little jewel of a car that could provide years of fun, conversation, and delight for the right person.

Looking at the pin stripes on the spare wheel...I'd say the wheel color is original.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Have no idea what the owner expects as a sale price, but the ad seems to be written by a knowledgeable Studebaker owner. A great example of the Regal trim. If I had pics available of the interior of my '48 Business Coupe, I could give a good comparison of the difference. For example, my white colored steering wheel looks more like the ones used in the pick-ups, with only a horn button and no horn ring.

My dash is painted, with the instrument panel having a wood grain look finish. If this car is mostly as original as the seller states, I doubt we will see many (if another) Champion four door, with the potential of restoration that comes close to making financial sense. Most of these type of cars get restored as a "labor of love," and costs much more than they would ever sell for. This could be a little jewel of a car that could provide years of fun, conversation, and delight for the right person.

Looking at the pin stripes on the spare wheel...I'd say the wheel color is original.
    John,

I want your business coupe, when you no longer have any use for it!
    Bo

Looks like it's a very nice driver type car. Just depends on how high it goes. 34 MPG maybe a little salesmanship but I would believe 20 if you didn't push it to hard and had open road.

Quote Originally Posted by swvalcon View Post
    Looks like it's a very nice driver type car. Just depends on how high it goes. 34 MPG maybe a little salesmanship but I would believe 20 if you didn't push it to hard and had open road.
    It has been a long time. But, soon after restoring my coupe, with a fresh engine, I recorded an average of 28mpg. It was a trip of over 250 miles interstate mostly overdrive & at least half the drive flat land. I was surprised how well it performed. I would be more surprised if a four door sedan bested the coupe!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Body tag is visible: W5=Regal Deluxe

Woodgrain dash available standard on 47-48 Regal Deluxe Champion and Commander closed cars. Convertibles were body color dash, I believe (some one correct me if needed). Window garnishes followed same usage on closed cars. No window garnishes per se on convertibles.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

That's a nice looking all original car that I'd be proud to own and drive. I'd wax it and put a blanket over the front seat and drive it. I agree with Steve that 34 is a stretch for mileage. My two 1950 Commander 4 doors both gave me 28 on the highway with 60's and early 70's gas. My 52 Land Cruiser gave me 24 MPG back then, and my 1950 Champion two door tops out at 27 MPG with today's gas.

Here's a link to another nice looking 48 Champion, but why would a professional seller not have pictures of the interior, engine, and trunk?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391733823113...MakeTrack=true

President Member
    "Here's a link to another nice looking 48 Champion, but why would a professional seller not have pictures of the interior, engine, and trunk?"

Actually there are. Scroll down through their listing. In fact there must be over 200 photos. Actually shows many details with faults.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Both cars seem like they would be well worth the money. In fact, it's a little discouraging to see that the '48 in New Hampshire has a dealer asking price of $7995. admittedly, it still needs some work, but supposedly is a runner. Why don't four doors get no respect?
    As to the Missouri seller who claimed to get 34 mpg highway, I say "show me." I had a long-time Studebaker mechanic tell me with some authority that a 47-52 Champion, if tuned well, would get 25 mpg, but that adding a visor would cut it by two mpg.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

I can believe the visor cutting the mileage by 2, as just the roof rack on my 1985 Dodge Caravan cut the mileage by 3.
    My 1950 two door Champion gets 27 MPG highway these days, and my 1950 Commander got 28 MPG back in 1971.

I threw in a bid of $3900 to help this along, and I sure expected to see a lot more bids after mine, but mine was the last bid. Top bid of $3950 didn't meet reserve. Every time I see a Studebaker come up for sale I just think of what a Model A in like condition would sell for, and am surprised that the Stude brings so much less, even though it's so much more drivable on today's roads. Not only more drivable, but so much roomier and more comfortable. Quite a change from 1931 to 1948.

I wonder what the reserve is on this nice original car?

Those Cars were built when American Cars had real CLASS! Not 40% plastic Bars of Soap.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner