Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 Engine ID / math help

I have the pan off of what I think is a 62 GT 289 4spd
    Every thing I have read says the engine should be black but have a lot of red orange paint bleeding through every where.
    Engine no P90092 heads I555294
    The engine has been out because rear main .020 underground.
    The bore is roughly 3.365 which would be .060 over according to an old motor manual I have.

Second question I know I am not good a math but when I plug in pi rd squared times Stroke times
    8 I do not get 289 cdi using 3.5625 bore and 3.625 stroke.are my old numbers wrong ?
    Hawkowner

That should be pi times the radius squared. 3.1417 X 1.78125 X 1.78125 X 3.625 X 8 = 289.068

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkowner View Post
      The bore is roughly 3.365 . . . I know I am not good a math. Hawkowner

Also a slight problem with either metrology or data entry. ;>) A 289 with .060" overbore would be 3.6225".

That should be pi times the radius squared. 3.1417 X 1.78125 X 1.78125 X 3.625 X 8 = 289.068"
      Also, another data entry problem. Standard 289" bore is 3.5625". The above 3.625" is approx .060" over and would be 299".

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkowner View Post
        I think is a 62 GT 289 4spd. Every thing I have read says the engine should be black but have a lot of red orange paint bleeding through every where.

My engine bears the same color[s]. . . 1962 GT Hawk. I've often wondered if the engine had been out for rebuilding before I owned it. I've shined up what I can reach from the top with fresh black. But there's a lot of orange/red on the lower half of the engine.

Paul
        I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
        1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

The red Glyptol sealer was applied to the insides of the engine, without masking before any machine work. That is why the blocks look red nder the black. they painted the black over the red overspray, after the engines were assembled.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Also a slight problem with either metrology or data entry. ;>) A 289 with .060" overbore would be 3.6225".

Also, another data entry problem. Standard 289" bore is 3.5625". The above 3.625" is approx .060" over and would be 299".

jack vines
            The 3.625 figure is the stroke, not the bore.

Comment

When I refigured with 3265 figure I came out with the 299 + figure must hav Miss decided the 289 dia.
              Thanks Hawkowner

Comment

Easiest way to figure displacement is bore X bore X .7854 X stroke X number of cylinders.2,4,6,8 etc.

Comment

Your Engine P90092 is a fairly Late '62, is it equipped with a Full Flow Oil Filter on the bottom of the Engine?
                  The '62 289's started at P79,801.

You do have to remember after 54 Years, it is not uncommon at all to find Engines in these old cars that have been Cleaned, repainted and resealed, Had Valve Jobs, an Overhaul or a Rebuild or TWO!

In that process a Machine Shop or Garage would grab whatever rattle can was handy to prevent rust and make it look new, and shoot it ANY color.

Also as Bez said, the Barn Red, brownish Red Glyptol is on some areas of the outside of the Blocks under the topcoat also.
                  But it is not really RED as in bright Red, somewhat like a burnt Orange.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Does not have ful flow oil filter or plate on the block would guess it was painted when crank was turned and block bored.
                    Thanks
                    Hawkowner

Comment

Working...
                    X