Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Oil Additives

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    I can tell you that Sea-Foam works wonders. In the 80's I bought a fully loaded 3 year old Cutlass real cheap because it sounded like it had a rod out. I dropped the pan and removed all the rod bearings, but they looked great. As long as they were out I put in new ones anyway. Next I pulled both valve covers to check the plastic rocker buttons, and found a few broken, so I replaced those but still had the bad engine noise. I then decided to try Sea-Foam for sticking lifters. I put the can in at the store, and before I got home the engine was as quiet as a new one.

My Champion uses more oil than it should, so I'll try a can of STP before I hit the roads this spring. Still waiting for 2 good rains to wash off the road salt.
    Interesting. I have heard horror stories about SeaFoam destroying engines in minutes, and for that reason i've never used it.

-George-

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reichsrundfunk View Post
    Interesting. I have heard horror stories about SeaFoam destroying engines in minutes, and for that reason i've never used it.

-George-
    Way back when, before Seafoam, folks would use Coca-cola or just plain water. Wind the engine to a few thousand rpm and dump some down the carb. Either would violently vaporize to steam and sometimes blow loose built up carbon and other gunk. And sometimes the extreme pressure would destroy engines.

I can't imagine why an engine in decent condition and reasonably well tuned would ever need such violent treatment. A tune up, fresh oil and filter change and a hundred miles on the highway might do the same job with little risk.

But for a crappy old engine full of carbon and oil deposits, maybe it'll clean it up temporarily.