No announcement yet.

Value 1957 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing for sure 63t-cab, it will definitely steer and brake a lot more friendly now. After speaking with the previous owner a little more, it appears than this was a Government Scientist's car that has been out here in the sunny dry west forever. it appears that this is the totally original interior and paint which in this day and time is really unique within it's self. Right now I'm thinking about just leaving it as a survivor (probably have to apologize for the front end LOL!) Haven't really decided on motor choice yet, LS3 or LS7 is on the top of the list and for sure a 9" Ford or Chevy 12 bolt disc brake rear end, It's most assuredly gonna have A/C, tilt!
    sigpic

Comment

Gene, once you get this car together and drivable. I would add one more low tech item. A cable bicycle lock or similar device to secure that hood. As a safety:insurance item.
      My 1957 Silver Hawk hood flew open at 60 mph and promptly landed on the roof!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Gene-- Since you're undecided on a powertrain at this moment, my I offer a suggestion? You're obviously a skilled rod-builder, I think I would offer this recipe of parts that would satisfy your wife, most (OK, some) hardcore Studebaker lovers, and your own performance requirements: How about a modernized Studebaker 289? Get a Mopar aluminum 340 intake manifold and modify to fit, including bungs for 8 port injectors, a stand-alone fuel injection computer, an electronic ignition distributor, and a belt-driven Whipple Supercharger. Engineer some brackets for a serpentine belt set-up, and follow it all up with a 2004-R O.D. trans.
        Would still be Studebaker-powered, would look and drive completely modern, and would impress any and all who love the Marque. And-- being Supercharged, would still be a "Golden Hawk"
        I have installed Whipple Superchargers on some Mazdas back in my Import Shop Owning days, and they are slick. slick. slick!
        I have built and sold literally hundreds of cars in my career, and there is no way to please everyone who looks at your car, However, there is very strong brand-loyalty in the collector-car world, and I found there are some Cardinal Rules that I don't break. As an example, put a 454 Chev in a Mustang, and see if you can sell it. Chevy guys hate it because it's a Ford, and Mustang guys hate it because it's bastardized with a Chevy engine. Sure, it may be faster/better than it was stock, but no one wants it.
        Yes, building a Hot Rod is for you and your tastes, not all these other schmo's, but everyone wants to build something that others will appreciate, so why not appeal to the widest possible audience? Will be alot easier to sell when the time comes, too. Food for thought, that's all. Advice freely given, and worth what you paid for it
        1950 Commander Land Cruiser
        1951 Champion Business Coupe
        1951 Commander Starlight
        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
        1953 Champion Starlight
        1953 Commander Starliner
        1953 2R5
        1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
        1957 Silver Hawk
        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
        1959 Silver Hawk
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
        1965 Cruiser
        1970 Avanti

Comment

Golden Hawk

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-8 004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1713214Click image for larger version

Name:	4-8 005.JPG
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1713215Click image for larger version

Name:	4-8 006.JPG
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1713216

Well--- After driving over 1100 miles from the San Francisco Bay area to Santa Fe New Mexico to pick up this Hawk--- The deal fell through. It wasn't because of the shape of the car, it was a nice car! When the P.O. had the title reissued in 2000 the officer who inspected the car inserted the body number into the vin location and then you have a miss-matched Title. I know some states take bill of sales and what not but, I have been burned by bad titles too many times in the past and I just wasn't up for a new a*s whipping. I really wanted to get this car going again, hopefully someone else will try. I ain't bitter, just learned a little lesson--- next time let's see a picture of the title and Vin#.
          sigpic

Comment

Gene,

There are no VIN#'s on these cars, they are serial #'s only. Each state had it's own method or registering a car, and many used the original engine #. Some states like Washington came up with a convoluted method of using their own applied number and calling themselves "guaranteed title states." This required a physical inspection of all out of state cars, regardless of age. I think that in spite of the good intentions, the project must have failed because of inconsistent application and it's overall bureaucratic weight. The situation with the title is really not uncommon and has been successfully handled countless times before.

I think that the car deserves better then being relegated to still born street rod status. Unfortunately this car is no longer the icon that it once was and never will be again. Today it is nothing more then a high priced parts car, a triumph of misguided self indulgence, with no consideration given to the historical icon that it once was. I am not against street rodders or their projects, but this was one of those cases that common sense was ignored by someone who just didn't understand or care. Now the owner is going to have to come to grips with the real value of what he has left.

Comment

GENE Where is the car and what does the guy want for it some one here may have a interest if you don't.

Comment

he had another buyer lined up....he was firm @ $6,000.00 and it wasn't quite as it was advertised, the owner was thinking it was original paint, interior. I could tell it had been repainted and some interior work done on it. Still a very nice, fairly rust free example.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X