No announcement yet.

Value 1957 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get the apologize for the fatman front end, Come on. What would you be apologizing for? The fact that it would steer, brake and handle better or that it's not original. Sometimes I don't get the antiquated mindset. You can add turner brakes and seems to not wad anybody's panties up but the minute you start to really make the car safer and better to drive, we have to apologize. I ain't apologizing for any of the improvements I have made. I think it makes that particular car that much more attractive to a new (younger/different) owner. I really don't get the "OMG, he really F*#cked that up" mentality that sometimes presides here, "Make em so you can drive them!"
    sigpic

Comment

Maybe you missed the point Gene, this is not your average driver '59 Lark VI that has not became collectible and valuable yet, this is THE 1950's Studebaker Icon, an actual Golden Hawk and is now definitely devalued, no question.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I don't think I missed the point, I'm driving a Coupe Express and waited almost 40 years to find the right one. My observation is how many "Museum Quality" Golden Hawks do we need? Are they all suppose to be just like original. I took the Studebaker "Holy Grail" of pickups and modified the hell out of it and guess what....I love it, most people at car shows love it. The minute someone changes things a little, then it's no longer worth what it would be as original, or at least that seems to be the assumption most of the time. I think you get much more out of them if they are actually function-able, I'm not sour if someone wants it original, I was attracted to the car because of the front end is all I was saying, somebody saved me a lot of work if I was buying it---no apologies needed!
        Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-23-2017, 03:55 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

lelshaddai check you P.M's ---Thanks
          Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Seems to straying from the posters question. What's it worth? How much do you want to pay? Simple--this vehicle is no longer a "Golden Hawk". No engine, no original frame with matching serial numbers, still needs "some" work just to make it usable as a car. Great starting point to make what you want--yes, project-yes, parts car-maybe. If I were considering it I would need to lay out what my costs would be to get to what, I wanted it to be, when done, make an offer and see what happens. It can never be an original again, it can be made to look like one, but clones are a dime a dozen in every make. Think total budget, forget final value and divide up from there. Looks like someone did that already and ran out of money or desire. Looking at it as is, a great value in parts, but if you don't have the time (maybe a lifetime) or desire to disassemble it and store the parts till somebody needs them--look at it as a new toy, what's your toy budget?

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
              I don't get the apologize for the fatman front end, Come on. What would you be apologizing for? The fact that it would steer, brake and handle better or that it's not original. Sometimes I don't get the antiquated mindset. You can add turner brakes and seems to not wad anybody's panties up but the minute you start to really make the car safer and better to drive, we have to apologize. I ain't apologizing for any of the improvements I have made. I think it makes that particular car that much more attractive to a new (younger/different) owner. I really don't get the "OMG, he really F*#cked that up" mentality that sometimes presides here, "Make em so you can drive them!"
              Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
                Rich, I don't think I missed the point, I'm driving a Coupe Express and waited almost 40 years to find the right one. My observation is how many "Museum Quality" Golden Hawks do we need? Are they all suppose to be just like original. I took the Studebaker "Holy Grail" of pickups and modified the hell out of it and guess what....I love it, most people at car shows love it. The minute someone changes things a little, then it's no longer worth what it would be as original, or at leat that seems to be the assumption most of the time. I think you get much more out of them if they are actually function-able, I'm not sour if someone wants it original, I was attracted to the car because of the front end is all I was saying, somebody saved me a lot of work if I was buying it---no apologies needed!
                Gene, Careful there, buddy. According to some here on the forum, every Studebaker, from the lowliest 4 door, flat head 6 Lark, to the Holiest of Holies, Coupe Express, Golden Hawk, Avanti, etc. should ALL be kept stock and prepared for their eventual and deserved induction into every auto museum in the world. How dare you suggest that some renegade, such as yourself, should ever be allowed to modify from the original design that the gods of the "Factory" deemed to be the only acceptable permutation of the vehicle you own. WOW... I even blasphemed in that sentence without realizing it. To suggest that you could be "owner" of your own car is sacrilege. You don't own that car, the Studebaker gods own it now and forever. How dare you... and how dare I.
                sals54

Comment

I ain't looking to stir any animosity with the purists, The poster threw it out there and asked everyone what they thought it was worth, I heard all the 1500-3000 dollar hits and I'm way past that amount based on observations and past purchases and sales. I meant what I said that I don't think it degrades it in the least and as a matter of fact, you see where I ask him to check his posts because I think it made it better, Like I said, "saved me a lot of work" and if he wants to make a buck flipping it I'm in---- We all have our opinions and I ain't apologizing for mine. I love Studebakers to death, don't get me wrong. I love their styling, chrome, that's why we have them, with that said I also love my power windows, A/C, LT1 fuel injected small block, power disc brakes, tilt wheel and wait for it----a 1937 Coupe Express that I roll on 680 everyday about 80-85 MPH. Why? because that's what traffic runs at here in the morning. I couldn't imagine trying to get out there in some of them stockers in that commute, you'd be the news @ 6 o'clock.--- I drive mine everyday, rain, shine, whatever!
                  Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with Rich that customizing this car has devalued it. It's like when a beautiful female messes herself up with a bunch of tattoos and piercings. She is no longer beautiful. Go to any car show and count the original cars and customized cars, and you'd be lucky if 5% are left original. I don't know of any car that isn't very drivable just as the factory built it.

Comment

Just remember TWCHAMP, there's a very famous quote out there---"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or better yet "beauty is skin deep and ugly is to the bone.!"
                      sigpic

Comment

I told the facts as it is in value, nothing more, nothing less. I would never presume to say that it is ruined because of changes, merely devalued, which is what the question was. As it sits now, I would guess 7-8 thousand if it includes some sort of drivetrain.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bingo--- we have a winner! That was about my thought too bezhawk!
                          sigpic

Comment

I've re-read the first post. I missed it before, but it looks like he's negotiating with the seller and he's trying to get an idea of what he should be offering for this car as it sits.

As it sits, in order to finish up the build with the fat man he's going to need to obtain those major components that it's missing - a steering rack, engine, transmission, radiator, driveshaft, a steering column and a bunch of incidentals. All that stuff, bought as parts before refurbishment, could cost him $3k to $4K on top of what he pays for what's there, before he even gets started with the project.

If he didn't want to keep the Fat Man, I think he'd end up spending about the same amount to acquire an intact and un-refurbished C/K chassis with a complete front end, Stude 289 engine, radiator, driveshaft and a column. So, one can only look at this as the beginning of a restomod build or a restoration that can be a nice GH but will never have the same value in the collector market as an all-original car - though as a kickass restorod that's really nicely done it might be worth quite a bit more to someone in the hot rod world than it would be worth to a lot of purists looking for an all-original numbers-matching GH restoration.

If it's going to cost $3K to $4K to scrounge up what additional major components he's going to need just as a starting point anyway, the question is what are those components seen in the photos worth.

I think if it were complete with an unaltered original chassis and engine $7K would not be unreasonable as a starting point for a project; because he would have most of what he needs and won't have to spend time and money looking for what he needs. However, as is and while still needing to find all of that other stuff, regardless of which way he wants to go with it, I think $3K is fair and $3.5K would be very generous.

If he has the space, one can still find K models for sale as parts cars that are complete with 289's in them, being sold by non-stude-astute folks, for between $2K and $3K. They pop up all the time. The bodies aren't great but he doesn't need a body. If he could purchase what's there for $3K to $3.5K and find a donor to supply an original chassis and drive train he might be able to get the basis for a project, and be able to part out and sell the body of the donor - various salvageable trim and window components, etc., and get started for under $6K. He'd still be a long long way from the finish line though.
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

One thing for sure--- I believe this car will be back on the road in some form or other and that's whats important. It really is a nice example and whether or not it returns as a Custom or back to original, someone has some fun work on their hands.
                              sigpic

Comment

Anyone know if this GH has been sold?....or, if not, where it's listed?....Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X