Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value 1957 Golden Hawk

Value 1957 Golden Hawk

I will throw this out there to see what the group thinks. Looking for thoughts of value on this 57 Golden Hawk. No engine or transmission. Fatman front end. Zero rust. All parts, chrome emblems there. Does not have steering wheel or column. Thinks it is original paint. Were there all white hawks? Working out details on it but still working final negotiations. Value thoughts?
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    61 Nash Metropolitan Convertible
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Silver Hawk Member
    Yes, it would make a good looking street custom; it seems an exceptionally sound basis from which to begin. Since it's already been modified, no one could complain about whatever engine/trans you decided to use.

No, since it's no longer a 57H-K7, the recently rising auction prices for restored cars are not germaine to this discussion. It's worth whatever it's worth as a core for a custom car, not what it would be worth as a complete and stock '57 Golden Hawk.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Banned
    This is a VERY INTERESTING car!....the body and the chrome appear to be in great shape (and yes, Studebaker did build quite a few 'solid color' '57 Golden Hawks)

However, since it's definitely a project someone has apparently given up on, and it has no engine or trans,...you should be able to buy it 'right'!

I'm thinking in the 3-6K range.

ps...... If you decide not to buy this Hawk please PM me.....Ed...................................(by the way, looks like someone 'borrowed' the original 160 speedo!)

Value as it sits? or done? A well restored Golden Hawk is valued @ 68,500 in Hagertys valuation guide. That is an average over the last year or so sales at major auctions. I would think 99K being the high, and around 50K being average. Modified, you have probably cut the value by 1/3 to 1/2. (when done).
    Last edited by bezhawk; 03-20-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Run the vin number on the pillar post through Andy at the museum, that will at least tell you the history, and possible value of the GH.......

Speedster Member
    3k tops in my book. But then, I am not a buyer. I felt bad enough cutting up my old farm truck. At least there is virtually no market for the old farm trucks. I can't believe anyone would do that to a 57 GH.

Id say 2500 to 3k. Its a shame someone hacked up such a good restoration candidate.... it really hurts the value of the car. Could easily been worth 15k or more had it been left alone and complete. I personally would'nt pay much for it. Its not much better than a good parts car at this point.

Speedster Member
    It shouldn't be hard to find a good stock frame for it... why not turn it back into a GH and sell the hot rod frame? The missing parts are pretty easy to come up with-- Even I have some of them!
    Someone is sure to want the modified frame to put under a less desirable Stude for a hot rod.
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1970 Avanti

Looks a really good shell with no rust showing.
    If you want to keep the hotrod frame no problem. Refit the shell on a standard rolling frame and I would give you 3K for it.
    Was this car for sale last year out near Vegas? I remember seeing it on ebay.
    Regards,
    Brian
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

Yeah Brian,

That's the one. Sure looks a lot better inside instead of out in that field.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

I'd say this car is worth 5 to 6K at least. If what you want is a nice driver. If the floors are in good shape and if the body was a solid one to start with. No Bodyshop visits or Chrome plating. Add drivetrain of your choice, fix dash pad, paint fin GOLD IMHO and drive A Legendary 57 Golden Hawk.
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"
    53 Champion Starlight
    53-55 Starliner For Sale or Trade

Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Speedster Member
    Wow..I'd love to have it, fatman front end and all.....LS7, electronic overdrive, "go fast or go home"---yeah Baby!

Speedster Member
    Coming to this post a bit late, but looks pretty good all round
    Richard

President Member
    The best thing you could do to this car is to refit an original GH drivetrain and then apologize for the front suspension...

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Jim McDonald,

Please check your private messages under "Notifications" at the top right side of the page.

Thanks.
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Speedster Member
    I don't get the apologize for the fatman front end, Come on. What would you be apologizing for? The fact that it would steer, brake and handle better or that it's not original. Sometimes I don't get the antiquated mindset. You can add turner brakes and seems to not wad anybody's panties up but the minute you start to really make the car safer and better to drive, we have to apologize. I ain't apologizing for any of the improvements I have made. I think it makes that particular car that much more attractive to a new (younger/different) owner. I really don't get the "OMG, he really F*#cked that up" mentality that sometimes presides here, "Make em so you can drive them!"

Maybe you missed the point Gene, this is not your average driver '59 Lark VI that has not became collectible and valuable yet, this is THE 1950's Studebaker Icon, an actual Golden Hawk and is now definitely devalued, no question.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Rich, I don't think I missed the point, I'm driving a Coupe Express and waited almost 40 years to find the right one. My observation is how many "Museum Quality" Golden Hawks do we need? Are they all suppose to be just like original. I took the Studebaker "Holy Grail" of pickups and modified the hell out of it and guess what....I love it, most people at car shows love it. The minute someone changes things a little, then it's no longer worth what it would be as original, or at least that seems to be the assumption most of the time. I think you get much more out of them if they are actually function-able, I'm not sour if someone wants it original, I was attracted to the car because of the front end is all I was saying, somebody saved me a lot of work if I was buying it---no apologies needed!
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Speedster Member
    lelshaddai check you P.M's ---Thanks
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.

President Member
    Seems to straying from the posters question. What's it worth? How much do you want to pay? Simple--this vehicle is no longer a "Golden Hawk". No engine, no original frame with matching serial numbers, still needs "some" work just to make it usable as a car. Great starting point to make what you want--yes, project-yes, parts car-maybe. If I were considering it I would need to lay out what my costs would be to get to what, I wanted it to be, when done, make an offer and see what happens. It can never be an original again, it can be made to look like one, but clones are a dime a dozen in every make. Think total budget, forget final value and divide up from there. Looks like someone did that already and ran out of money or desire. Looking at it as is, a great value in parts, but if you don't have the time (maybe a lifetime) or desire to disassemble it and store the parts till somebody needs them--look at it as a new toy, what's your toy budget?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StudebakerGene View Post
    I don't get the apologize for the fatman front end, Come on. What would you be apologizing for? The fact that it would steer, brake and handle better or that it's not original. Sometimes I don't get the antiquated mindset. You can add turner brakes and seems to not wad anybody's panties up but the minute you start to really make the car safer and better to drive, we have to apologize. I ain't apologizing for any of the improvements I have made. I think it makes that particular car that much more attractive to a new (younger/different) owner. I really don't get the "OMG, he really F*#cked that up" mentality that sometimes presides here, "Make em so you can drive them!"
    Well said!

President Member
    Rich, I don't think I missed the point, I'm driving a Coupe Express and waited almost 40 years to find the right one. My observation is how many "Museum Quality" Golden Hawks do we need? Are they all suppose to be just like original. I took the Studebaker "Holy Grail" of pickups and modified the hell out of it and guess what....I love it, most people at car shows love it. The minute someone changes things a little, then it's no longer worth what it would be as original, or at leat that seems to be the assumption most of the time. I think you get much more out of them if they are actually function-able, I'm not sour if someone wants it original, I was attracted to the car because of the front end is all I was saying, somebody saved me a lot of work if I was buying it---no apologies needed!
    Gene, Careful there, buddy. According to some here on the forum, every Studebaker, from the lowliest 4 door, flat head 6 Lark, to the Holiest of Holies, Coupe Express, Golden Hawk, Avanti, etc. should ALL be kept stock and prepared for their eventual and deserved induction into every auto museum in the world. How dare you suggest that some renegade, such as yourself, should ever be allowed to modify from the original design that the gods of the "Factory" deemed to be the only acceptable permutation of the vehicle you own. WOW... I even blasphemed in that sentence without realizing it. To suggest that you could be "owner" of your own car is sacrilege. You don't own that car, the Studebaker gods own it now and forever. How dare you... and how dare I.
    sals54

Speedster Member
    I ain't looking to stir any animosity with the purists, The poster threw it out there and asked everyone what they thought it was worth, I heard all the 1500-3000 dollar hits and I'm way past that amount based on observations and past purchases and sales. I meant what I said that I don't think it degrades it in the least and as a matter of fact, you see where I ask him to check his posts because I think it made it better, Like I said, "saved me a lot of work" and if he wants to make a buck flipping it I'm in---- We all have our opinions and I ain't apologizing for mine. I love Studebakers to death, don't get me wrong. I love their styling, chrome, that's why we have them, with that said I also love my power windows, A/C, LT1 fuel injected small block, power disc brakes, tilt wheel and wait for it----a 1937 Coupe Express that I roll on 680 everyday about 80-85 MPH. Why? because that's what traffic runs at here in the morning. I couldn't imagine trying to get out there in some of them stockers in that commute, you'd be the news @ 6 o'clock.--- I drive mine everyday, rain, shine, whatever!
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-23-2017 at 06:34 PM.

I agree with Rich that customizing this car has devalued it. It's like when a beautiful female messes herself up with a bunch of tattoos and piercings. She is no longer beautiful. Go to any car show and count the original cars and customized cars, and you'd be lucky if 5% are left original. I don't know of any car that isn't very drivable just as the factory built it.

Speedster Member
    Just remember TWCHAMP, there's a very famous quote out there---"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or better yet "beauty is skin deep and ugly is to the bone.!"

I told the facts as it is in value, nothing more, nothing less. I would never presume to say that it is ruined because of changes, merely devalued, which is what the question was. As it sits now, I would guess 7-8 thousand if it includes some sort of drivetrain.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Speedster Member
    Bingo--- we have a winner! That was about my thought too bezhawk!

I've re-read the first post. I missed it before, but it looks like he's negotiating with the seller and he's trying to get an idea of what he should be offering for this car as it sits.

As it sits, in order to finish up the build with the fat man he's going to need to obtain those major components that it's missing - a steering rack, engine, transmission, radiator, driveshaft, a steering column and a bunch of incidentals. All that stuff, bought as parts before refurbishment, could cost him $3k to $4K on top of what he pays for what's there, before he even gets started with the project.

If he didn't want to keep the Fat Man, I think he'd end up spending about the same amount to acquire an intact and un-refurbished C/K chassis with a complete front end, Stude 289 engine, radiator, driveshaft and a column. So, one can only look at this as the beginning of a restomod build or a restoration that can be a nice GH but will never have the same value in the collector market as an all-original car - though as a kickass restorod that's really nicely done it might be worth quite a bit more to someone in the hot rod world than it would be worth to a lot of purists looking for an all-original numbers-matching GH restoration.

If it's going to cost $3K to $4K to scrounge up what additional major components he's going to need just as a starting point anyway, the question is what are those components seen in the photos worth.

I think if it were complete with an unaltered original chassis and engine $7K would not be unreasonable as a starting point for a project; because he would have most of what he needs and won't have to spend time and money looking for what he needs. However, as is and while still needing to find all of that other stuff, regardless of which way he wants to go with it, I think $3K is fair and $3.5K would be very generous.

If he has the space, one can still find K models for sale as parts cars that are complete with 289's in them, being sold by non-stude-astute folks, for between $2K and $3K. They pop up all the time. The bodies aren't great but he doesn't need a body. If he could purchase what's there for $3K to $3.5K and find a donor to supply an original chassis and drive train he might be able to get the basis for a project, and be able to part out and sell the body of the donor - various salvageable trim and window components, etc., and get started for under $6K. He'd still be a long long way from the finish line though.
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Speedster Member
    One thing for sure--- I believe this car will be back on the road in some form or other and that's whats important. It really is a nice example and whether or not it returns as a Custom or back to original, someone has some fun work on their hands.

Banned
    Anyone know if this GH has been sold?....or, if not, where it's listed?....Thanks!

I have decided to pass on the Golden Hawk. Here is the listing. He is sticking to $8000.
    santafe.craigslist.org/cto/6021141441.html
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Speedster Member
    Don't blame you a bit. Just too high for a partial car. I don't remember seeing anyone here post a number higher than 6k as an answer to "what's it worth?"

Speedster Member
    Lelshaddai,

It seems as though the ad has expired, or maybe it's been sold, you don't happen to have a number by chance? thanks

Contact 505-469-6937
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Speedster Member
    Thanks--- It appears as of this morning, I am the new owner of this fantastic car, can't wait to get it back to the shop and get it going. It will not be brought back to original I'm sorry to advise. However it will be cruising the roads once again in it's glory. I will not change any of the exterior aspects of this car other than paint and possibly wheel/tire combo, I promise it will be "Badass!"

Silver Hawk Member
    As Gene states it will be back on the road again, believe him when he says that as I know what he can do and others that have seen his red champ pick up and the C/E know what I am talking about. When it gets to the Bay area it will be at my shop so any one that wants to come by and see what they passed on can call me or PM me. Driving my new 90 four door lets me know what is missing when driving my 63 R-1 4 speed Standard 2 door or even my 67 Avanti, the 67 might be faster but the handling is a lot different, remember to each his or hers own is what it is all about any way.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Commander Member
    Gene, you got a great project car and it'll make a real classy DD. I was seriously contemplating that if I could swing a deal on the drivetrain out of my friend's recently totaled '07 Vette. Glad to see it go to you though.

Speedster Member
    Thanks HOXXOH, I'm am more than honored to get this car back on the road again for the Marquee. I had been contemplating getting the wife a little cruiser while we are out here in California, she says the "Raptor" is too hard to drive in traffic so this is going to work out great. What most everyone didn't see was the actual interior, the car is super nice inside with the exception of the padded dash. My very good friend and Hot Rod partner is flying out from Florida to meet me here, drive to New Mexico with me and bring it back. Through the last 40 years he and I have built a lot of cars, he is really more excited than me to get this one going as well. With the help of Bob and Pat and the boys @ CandB we will hopefully make everyone smile to see it going again! I haven't checked yet but, wouldn't it be great if it was one of the 400'S TBC...
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-29-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Speedster Member
    I haven't checked yet but, wouldn't it be great if it was one of the 400'S TBC...
    Looks like the pleats are running horizontally in the pictures. 400's are vertical, narrow spacing and leather. The interior panels are all different from stock, also the dash pad is pleated to match the doors.

Hawk 400 postcard back10252015_0000.jpg

Speedster Member
    I knew a man that had a 400, his had the interior changed at some time, either way still a great car to get up and going!