Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does This Round Healight Only Fit Right Hand Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does This Round Healight Only Fit Right Hand Drive?

I just spotted this on ebay, and am wondering why it only fits right hand drive cars?

A headlight for RHD cars throws the high beam slightly to the left so as not to dazzle on coming traffic. We have to change the the headlights in cars imported from the US before we can registered them here.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Its the same with UK cars.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
        A headlight for RHD cars throws the high beam slightly to the left so as not to dazzle on coming traffic. We have to change the the headlights in cars imported from the US before we can registered them here.
        Gee..., I thought all Studebakers Dazzled oncoming traffic!!!!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Had personal experience with RHD headlamps in LHD vehicle.
          Had a 1960 Morris Minor DHC with RHD Lucas PL700's installed. Even on low beam I would be flashed by oncoming vehicles.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Good one John! Nice to finally to meet you in York!
            Jim
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

He has the Studebaker Part Number for a 12 Volt Two Headlight System, that would be a 6012 Here, I wonder what a RH Drive Industry Standard Part Number was from the Mfg. GE, Sylvania, Mazda, Guide etc. a 6012-R?

You could put one of these on the Right Side and a US one on the Left and have a cross eyed Studebaker!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2017, 10:21 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
                That is a new one on me. I learn something new every day - hopefully.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  - - - Updated - - -

That is a new one on me. I learn something new every day - hopefully.
                  I'd never heard of this before either, and I've been a mechanic for 50 years.
                  You either bought the round headlamps for single or dual headlamps, and no mention of left or right hand drive.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    I'd never heard of this before either, and I've been a mechanic for 50 years.
                    You either bought the round headlamps for single or dual headlamps, and no mention of left or right hand drive.
                    Maybe that's the secret to unlocking a long standing Studebaker mystery.

Put a left side headlight in the right side...and your Studebaker will get mad at you and VAPOR LOCK!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Why can't we all just drive on the correct side of the road????

Comment

I have a right hand drive car. Never checked to see if the headlights are old ones made for RHD vehicles.

However, since I DO drive on the correct side of the road, I guess I would be better off with regular U.S. spec headlights.

Comment

They do...drove my problem child GT Hawk today....got three thumbs up! (She is finally running good!)_
                          Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

Comment

But, that is also why the headlights have adjusters on them! So as to NOT point them in the eyes of oncoming traffic!

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

I am amazed that so many people seem to be unfamiliar with high quality European headlights. I have used these for many years, even before they became legal here. For countries which drive on the right side of the road, the beam has a sharp cutoff across the center, then slopes up to the right to illuminate objects on the side of the road. In England, the beam slopes up to the left. This pattern is only used for the low beam. With proper adjustment, the beam will illuminate the road, but will not blind oncoming drivers. The photo shows the Hella headlights on my 48 Champion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hella halogen headlights.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1713004
                              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Working...
                              X