No announcement yet.

Bell Crank hits radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To start, the first photo in post #9 is from Bob Johnstone's site of an ram overhaul done by sbca96 on his Avanti--http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/sbca96/ramrebld/ramrebld2.html. Someone is mixing photos and images here. The telltale item was the cut off end fitting and missing lower tank on the radiator. A Hawk and an Avanti have different radiators cross flow side tanks vs. vertical flow top/bottom tank and no reference to that car can be used for a C/K Hawk frame reference.

Comment

Sorry. My bad.
      Bill
      http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
      sigpic

Comment

BY the pics above it appears to me that your radiator support and radiator are pitched forward at the top, and back to the bottom. I view this by the relationship to the frame rail ??? Has your radiator support been altered ??

Comment

In that Pic the radiator and shroud are all but invisible, but I was thinking that all it would take to cause that, would be a Radiator Shop not welding the mounting straps back onto the Tanks in the correct Fore/Aft. positions.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can't get a good picture of the radiator. I have no idea where I got the parts for this radiator, but it has a round top and the bottom tank has flats on the front and back of each side. The straps on the bottom of mine are soldered on with the front of the straps even with the front flat on the tank. This puts the back edge of the strap about a half inch forward of the back flat on the tank. I know you'd like a picture, but if someone has a radiator from a 55 CK you might be able to understand what I'm saying and let me know where the straps should be located.

I'd like to see a picture or description of another radiator before I jump into this, but this might be an easy fix. Just have my radiator buy move the bottom strap to the back of the tank. I can eaisly get a 1/2 inch this way.
            Thanks for your help.
            Bill
            sigpic

Comment

It is very hard to see a '55 Radiator unless it is out of the car because of the huge Shroud:

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Comm HT4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1713007 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres Coupe6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1713006 <Double or Triple click this for a close up.
              This all you can see, but it shows the correct type of top Tank.
              These Radiators did not have the standard VERTICAL stacked cooling Fins, they had Horizontal Fins and
              staggered Tubes for more Air Exposure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Red6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1713005 A '54 Wagon also with the correct Radiator Core but '54's had the Ribbed Top Tank, not the smooth one like a '55, they are a different Brand.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-21-2017, 07:31 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

" I have no idea where I got the parts for this radiator"..... there may be your answer ! Nobody will have" your" Rube Goldberg set up for any proper help. You have to continue to modify your set up until it works for your altered car !
                Last edited by jackb; 03-22-2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

The top and bottom tank and straps I used for this rig were from a 55 coupe. It looks like Rich was exactly right in that the straps on this setup were soldered too far forward on the tank forcing it back. Since there is nothing wrong with this radiator for a normal 55, I'm gonna use it on my next car and build another radiator. Does anyone out there have the straps for a 55 CK radiator they would sell me? I have the tanks, all I need are the straps. If you do, please PM me.
                  Thanks
                  Bill
                  sigpic

Comment

The Eaton power steering now works great in my 53. Thanks to those people that provided useful advice. See you next week in South Bend.
                    Bill

For more on this car follow the link for the 53 Studebaker in the gallery on my website below.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post
                      The Eaton power steering now works great in my 53. Thanks to those people that provided useful advice. See you next week in South Bend.
                      Bill

For more on this car follow the link for the 53 Studebaker in the gallery on my website below.
                      I checked out your picture gallery, and my hat is off to you! She had one foot in the grave before you started, but looks like you brought her back to all her splendor. With a tasteful transmission swap, to make it more a pleasure to drive. Well done !

Comment

Working...
                      X