Thread: Bell Crank hits radiator

Speedster Member

Bell Crank hits radiator

I'm putting an Eaton setup from a Hawk in my 55 and the ram arm on the bell crank is really close to the radiator. I can think of some fixes, but before I goof around is there a normal fix for this.
    BillBell Crank and Radiator.jpg
    Last edited by clarkwd; 03-20-2017 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added Picture

Are all the mounting holes on your 55 in exactly the same places as on the Hawk?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    Without pictures we are just guessing.

President Member
    Did this on my 53 Turbo Coupe. took some fiddling with rad. support, ground a little on rod end also. believe i may have used a different support as car was built from bits and pieces but it all works with a 1/2 in clearence.between rod end and rad. Luck Doofus

I have used a chevy starter shim under two of the bell crank bearing block bolts to tilt them to gain clearance. A single shim spans both bolts is why.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 03-20-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Speedster Member
    How thick is the shim? -Jim

President Member
    This is a power steering arm? And the Ram part is hitting? From the looks of it you could grind a little off the end of the arm. They have quite a bit of forging flashing on them.

I cannot think of any Parts that matter that are different from a '55 C or K Model to a Hawk Steering system that would prevent it from being a "Bolt-on".
    However if you have a Sedan or Wagon you have several problems.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    I took a bunch of pictures of the 63 GT Hawk Raffle car at York and it looked to me like the bottom of the radiator on the Hawk was quite a bit forward of the bellcrank.
    BillGT Hawk Steering.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

President Member
    Looking at the 63 Set up, looks like 1/2" is, what it is. Remember the motion in the bell crank moves it away the further from center you get and neither the radiator nor the bell crank move in relation to each other (hopefully) so what ever it is, it should be okay. Many Avantis with short style engine mounts have less clearance from the top of the ball end to the crank pulley, and they get away with it-even with the engine moving around. Only way I could see getting a more comfortable clearance would be to find a way to move the radiator further forward-but I don't think there is enough room do that and close the hood. Or, you can do what Studebaker did to get pan clearance on the tie rod end of the bell crank--dent it with a hammer, but probably would get the bottom radiator tank to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by jrlemke View Post
    How thick is the shim? -Jim
    They come in varying thicknesses, but you can stack them. Remember a little at the fulcrum point moves it much more out at the ends.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948

President Member
    I would not recommend fiddling with the steering geometry as serious turning errors will occur. I would look at shimming the radiator forward, maybe only at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    I would not recommend fiddling with the steering geometry as serious turning errors will occur. I would look at shimming the radiator forward, maybe only at the bottom.
    Tilting the fulcrum of the pivot does not"MESS" with any steering geometry. The radius of pivots are exactly the same.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948

Something is WRONG. I cannot see well enough from the photos to tell what is the problem, though. Grinding, etc. is only bandaiding it.

Speedster Member
    Radiator and ram.jpg
    These pictures are the best I can do in this light. Hope the notations on this one explain my problem.
    Thanks for your help.
    Biull

President Member
    To start, the first photo in post #9 is from Bob Johnstone's site of an ram overhaul done by sbca96 on his Avanti--http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/sbca96/ramrebld/ramrebld2.html. Someone is mixing photos and images here. The telltale item was the cut off end fitting and missing lower tank on the radiator. A Hawk and an Avanti have different radiators cross flow side tanks vs. vertical flow top/bottom tank and no reference to that car can be used for a C/K Hawk frame reference.

Speedster Member
    Sorry. My bad.
    Bill

President Member
    BY the pics above it appears to me that your radiator support and radiator are pitched forward at the top, and back to the bottom. I view this by the relationship to the frame rail ??? Has your radiator support been altered ??

In that Pic the radiator and shroud are all but invisible, but I was thinking that all it would take to cause that, would be a Radiator Shop not welding the mounting straps back onto the Tanks in the correct Fore/Aft. positions.
    StudeRich

Speedster Member
    I can't get a good picture of the radiator. I have no idea where I got the parts for this radiator, but it has a round top and the bottom tank has flats on the front and back of each side. The straps on the bottom of mine are soldered on with the front of the straps even with the front flat on the tank. This puts the back edge of the strap about a half inch forward of the back flat on the tank. I know you'd like a picture, but if someone has a radiator from a 55 CK you might be able to understand what I'm saying and let me know where the straps should be located.

I'd like to see a picture or description of another radiator before I jump into this, but this might be an easy fix. Just have my radiator buy move the bottom strap to the back of the tank. I can eaisly get a 1/2 inch this way.
    Thanks for your help.
    Bill

It is very hard to see a '55 Radiator unless it is out of the car because of the huge Shroud:

55 Comm HT4.jpg Pres Coupe6.jpg <Double or Triple click this for a close up.
    This all you can see, but it shows the correct type of top Tank.
    These Radiators did not have the standard VERTICAL stacked cooling Fins, they had Horizontal Fins and
    staggered Tubes for more Air Exposure.

54 Red6.jpg A '54 Wagon also with the correct Radiator Core but '54's had the Ribbed Top Tank, not the smooth one like a '55, they are a different Brand.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-21-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    StudeRich

President Member
    " I have no idea where I got the parts for this radiator"..... there may be your answer ! Nobody will have" your" Rube Goldberg set up for any proper help. You have to continue to modify your set up until it works for your altered car !
    Last edited by jackb; 03-22-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Speedster Member
    The top and bottom tank and straps I used for this rig were from a 55 coupe. It looks like Rich was exactly right in that the straps on this setup were soldered too far forward on the tank forcing it back. Since there is nothing wrong with this radiator for a normal 55, I'm gonna use it on my next car and build another radiator. Does anyone out there have the straps for a 55 CK radiator they would sell me? I have the tanks, all I need are the straps. If you do, please PM me.
    Thanks
    Bill

Speedster Member
    The Eaton power steering now works great in my 53. Thanks to those people that provided useful advice. See you next week in South Bend.
    Bill

For more on this car follow the link for the 53 Studebaker in the gallery on my website below.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkwd View Post
    The Eaton power steering now works great in my 53. Thanks to those people that provided useful advice. See you next week in South Bend.
    Bill

For more on this car follow the link for the 53 Studebaker in the gallery on my website below.
    I checked out your picture gallery, and my hat is off to you! She had one foot in the grave before you started, but looks like you brought her back to all her splendor. With a tasteful transmission swap, to make it more a pleasure to drive. Well done !