Thread: Considering Dentistry for a second career...Stude-Related!

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Considering Dentistry for a second career...Stude-Related!

'Just helped a good friend who has been sans-Studebaker too long, get another Stude. Getting him into another Studebaker was about like pulling teeth, so I'm considering a second career in dentistry.

(He'll have to see this post and disclose the particulars, confidentiality being what it is today.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    'Just helped a good friend who has been sans-Studebaker too long, get another Stude. Getting him into another Studebaker was about like pulling teeth, so I'm considering a second career in dentistry.

(He'll have to see this post and disclose the particulars , confidentiality being what it is today.) BP
    LOL Bob; I'm happy to do the 'reveal' here, and I'd already done so on Facebook.

My "cold call" post a couple weeks back about 'Looking for a '65 or '66 Cruiser six' was answered by several folks, one of whom being 'Joncon' on the forum. Bob offered to check the car out, since it was fairly close to where he lives. It was described as a rust-free, original paint 26K mile '66 Cruiser in Timberline Turquoise with matching cloth interior, no PS, no PB, AM radio, and Stude wire wheel covers which were actually on the production order (first time I'd ever seen that). Bob said it was just as 'Joncon' had described. John, the seller, and I communicated and it sounded like the perfect Stude for me, in a color I liked a lot, and not being even remotely mechanically inclined, the 283 engine, flanged rear axle, and no PS or PB were all pluses to me if and when the car does need service.

I'm low-tech about posting pics here, but if Bob feels inclined, perhaps he can post one here (hint, hint!).

Bob is delivering the car to me in the near-future and I want to publicly thank him for all the help and to John for answering my forum ad for a Cruiser.

It's all good.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

OMG, the cat's out of the bag!

A few pix for the terminally curious.

As inspected March 5, 2017. It's a sweetheart:

Copy of Production Order:

March 19, 2017. Safely stored among other collector cars in Brownsburg IN, awaiting shipment to Kent OH as soon as my Income Taxes are finished. (Wire Wheels Covers, as rare as they are, have been removed and will remain stored in the trunk until Bill takes them out!):

Congrats, Bill; this is easily the nicest Studebaker you've ever owned. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-20-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Thanks, Bob. My Skytop was a special one, but this is definitely the most original/solid Studebaker I'll have owned, of the four I've owned.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

Great catch Bill! Easily a roadworthy car for today's traffic. So many things to enjoy when out with it. Prepare for the questions..."What is that?" "Well...who made Studebaker?" "Nice green color." "Nice blue color." "Why did you install the Chevy engine?" "Where did you get the Chevy engine?" "What year is that?"

Then, there's always the blank expressions, from those hearing the answers, but having difficulty processing them. Enjoy the ride!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Great catch Bill! Easily a roadworthy car for today's traffic. So many things to enjoy when out with it. Prepare for the questions..."What is that?" "Well...who made Studebaker?" "Nice green color." "Nice blue color." "Why did you install the Chevy engine?" "Where did you get the Chevy engine?" "What year is that?"

Then, there's always the blank expressions, from those hearing the answers, but having difficulty processing them. Enjoy the ride!
    I'm sure he's already prepared.

He owned a '66 Daytona before this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...new-66-Daytona

Craig

President Member
    Thanks, John!

Can't get a thing past Craig!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    Thanks, John!

Can't get a thing past Craig!
    That's true... Craig has gotta be the champion of forum memory, using the forum search feature, and posting links!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

For all you trivia buffs who may have noticed the car's chrome tail light housings and production date of Nov 12, 1965: The car originally had painted tail light housings that were a little chipped, as we know the paint didn't stick to them very well.

John Thompson (from whom Bill bought the car) replaced them with the chrome units. The original painted units are with the car in case Bill wants them later for some reason. BP

Ayn Rand:

President Member
    Nice catch Bill! I guess it's true that good things come to those who wait. ENJOY!
    PS. Please don't send this one "down under".
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Quote Originally Posted by LarkTruck View Post
    Nice catch Bill! I guess it's true that good things come to those who wait. ENJOY!
    PS. Please don't send this one "down under". Jim
    I dunno, Jim; I hear the Aussies are jonesing for a bulk discount.

I'm thinking we should all pitch in and buy Bill a stuffed Koala bear to keep in the back seat to get the car's persona ready for its eventual fate. BP

Ayn Rand:

President Member
    I dunno, Jim; I hear the Aussies are jonesing for a bulk discount.

I'm thinking we should all pitch in and buy Bill a stuffed Koala bear to keep in the back seat to get the car's persona ready for its eventual fate. BP
    "Never say never", but I have a hunch I'll have this car for a good, long time.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

For all you trivia buffs who may have noticed the car's chrome tail light housings and production date of Nov 12, 1965: The car originally had painted tail light housings that were a little chipped, as we know the paint didn't stick to them very well.
    Yep, it was January, 1966, the change to all-chrome was made: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=refreshaire

Craig

Bob , actually that's probably a pretty good choice for a second career , as i am sure a dentist makes more than my second job " baby sitter "
    btw, nice score Bill

Speedster Member
    Beautiful car , But whoever owns that garage might want to think about a moisture barrier , Its amazing how much moisture comes up thru Cement , I use indoor out door carpet , just saying , Ed

Quote Originally Posted by jts359 View Post
    Beautiful car, but whoever owns that garage might want to think about a moisture barrier. Its amazing how much moisture comes up thru Cement. I use indoor out door carpet , just saying , Ed
    Good point, Ed. I have carpet segments all around and fans running 24/7. So my Morton Building is well-ventilated but does get damp floors during extreme humidity and temp swings. BP

Ayn Rand:

I layed down plastic over the entire garage floor cement, then covered the plastic with free carpet. Sure makes it nice to work under the car also.

President Member
    Great looking car Bill. It's been too long for you to be without a Studebaker. Looking forward to seeing it at Greenville this July.
    Regards, Dave Bonn.

MVC-047S.JPGHere's a picture of it not to long after I bought it. It was a nice driving car. It was the only Studebaker I ever owned that didn't leak oil, unlike my 63 that always leaves its mark.
    Last edited by joncon; 03-21-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joncon View Post
    MVC-047S.JPGHere's a picture of it not too long after I bought it. It was a nice driving car. It was the only Studebaker I ever owned that didn't leak oil, unlike my 63 that always leaves its mark.
    John, that was after the rust repair and the frame straightening on the left B pillar, right? I don't see how you ever found used 1966 doors in Timberline Turquoise; that was quite a score for the rebuild.

You sure do nice work.

(Just funnin' ya and making sure Bill Pressler's ticker is working....) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-21-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Ayn Rand:

President Member
    John, that was after the rust repair and the frame straightening on the left B pillar, right? I don't see how you ever found used 1966 doors in Timberline Turquoise; that was quite a score for the rebuild.

You sure do nice work.

(Just funnin' ya and making sure Bill Pressler's ticker is working....) BP
    Funny guy, Bob! LOL

John, a non-leaking Studebaker is somewhat new to me, too, LOL. I always had a big piece of cardboard laying around and was always saying "Don't put that box in recycling! I need it for my Stude!".
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

Speedster Member
    Bill, You have a very nice car. Welcome back. This is a winner.

President Member
    Assembly date, Nov. 12, 1965, was a Friday. Should I be worried? LOL
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

Not unless we know the time of day, Bill.

Are you waiting until it is in your driveway to post an updated signature line? BP

Ayn Rand:

Well...it has been around for approximately 52 years...still going...drive-able...that should indicate the vehicle no longer qualifies as having any manufacturer's defects. In fact, now that you own it...it's up to you! From now own, if it burps, hiccups, or stumbles...you'll get the blame.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Whew! Bob when I quickly glanced at the thread title, I misread it and thought you said dysentery! Eat more fiber.( I never said I could spell)
    Last edited by bezhawk; 03-22-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

President Member
    I bought some cheap indoor-outdoor carpet, but it's thin and doesn't have rubber backing. Am I better just to leave it off my garage floor? Thinking I'll put a small fan on the floor in front of the '66, although the wife doesn't seem thrilled with that idea, LOL.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now

I bought some cheap indoor-outdoor carpet, but it's thin and doesn't have rubber backing. Am I better just to leave it off my garage floor? Thinking I'll put a small fan on the floor in front of the '66, although the wife doesn't seem thrilled with that idea, LOL.
    What???!!! You're gonna store it in the GARAGE?

What happened to the idea of expanding the family room so it could be indoors?

(FWIW: It's had a 20" breeze box fan blowing on low speed across the undercarriage ever since it got here.) BP

Ayn Rand:

President Member
    LOL! I think I need to 'sell' Sheila on the fan idea some more!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    All are in Australia now