Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Help with rear brake springs - '54 Land Cruiser

Hello!

I'm replacing the rear drum brakes on my '54 Land Cruiser. I've got everything positioned and now I'm ready to install the springs. I'm having a hell of a time, the lower anchor spring just doesn't want to pull across to the opposite hole. I'm just using a pair of vice grips, which could be the problem.

1) Any particular order on how to install these? Should the bottom spring go in first? And then the top 2 springs? It seems that I need a LOT of force to get these springs spread.

2) Any kind of tools that could help me? Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2603.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1753736Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2602.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1753737

Thank you!

Tony

Leave the adjuster out, then install the spring, then grab the shoes, and pull apart to install the adjuster. You have much better leverage on the shoes, than the spring!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks, Bez. Would you install the top springs before doing this, so that the assembly doesn't fall apart?

Comment

Pre-assemble the bottom spring and adjuster first, position the shoes and emergency brake bar, then assemble the upper pieces and springs next. Lastly assemble the shoe pins and retainers. Actually quite easy if done in this order.

Comment

Good advice already given. But also, Brake Spring Pliers are made especially for this purpose, and work a lot better than trying to pull the spring(s) with vise grips.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            Pre-assemble the bottom spring and adjuster first, position the shoes and emergency brake bar, then assemble the upper pieces and springs next. Lastly assemble the shoe pins and retainers. Actually quite easy if done in this order.
            That's exactly how I've always done it, and it makes it easy.

Comment

Thanks. I was able to get it done the way Bez said on the drivers side. I'll try it your way on the passenger side.

Comment

When I say pre-assemble the bottom spring and adjuster, do it exactly as bezhawk says in post #2. And regarding the brake spring "pliers" as mentioned above - you don't really need the action of pliers - just a brake hand tool that will "roll off" the end of the attached spring and also a feature that guides the spring end on for re-attachment.

Comment

This is the best spring tool for the type of brakes on your car. Cheap and available at any auto parts store. The big end is placed over the anchor pin and rotated to lift and release the spring. To install, the small end is slipped under the hook end of the spring and over the anchor pin. The spring slides down and hooks into place on the anchor pin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake.spring.tool.jpg
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1712982
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I always start with the shoes off and the adjuster out hook the lower springs to the shoes push the tops of the shoes together install the adjuster separate the top of the shoes and hook the shoes on the upper pin install park brake lever. Install the retaining pins and springs or clips then install the main springs.

Comment

Made a little jack to work on small fork lifts which are close to ground, leave adjuster out,put brakes together with spring in place,put the little jack( 1/8th' pipe with piece of all thread with 2 nuts locked on end and 1 more nut), put it in between ends of lower part of shoes, spread the shoes and put adjuster in. Take jack out and save.Your done.

Comment

Working...
                      X