Thread: Any 1956 or 1957 (+\_) wagons out there???

President Member

Any 1956 or 1957 (+\_) wagons out there???

My wife again mentioned she'd like to have a Stude station wagon. She mentioned this a few years ago and I casually brought it up on the forum with little success. Now she mentioned it again so maybe she is seious. So, does anyone have one to sell or know of one that could be bought? Pretty certain it would need to be a V8. The 56 or 57 variety is what she has seen and taken note of but I can't rule out earlier or later models. I don't think she would want the Wagonair however. Condition is somewhat open but a solid barn find up to a nice driver would be the range with me leaning toward the driver side. PM me or mention it here which ever you're comfortable with. Thanks.

President Member
    Obviously a lady of impeccable discernment and taste.

President Member
    Sorry, no longer for sale, but you should show her these so she can see how a 56 Wagon is supposed to look.[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/sals54/media/photo%202_zpsxmuiblxd.jpg.html][/URL
    sals54

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nels View Post
    My wife again mentioned she'd like to have a Stude station wagon. She mentioned this a few years ago and I casually brought it up on the forum with little success. Now she mentioned it again so maybe she is seious. So, does anyone have one to sell or know of one that could be bought? Pretty certain it would need to be a V8. The 56 or 57 variety is what she has seen and taken note of but I can't rule out earlier or later models. I don't think she would want the Wagonair however. Condition is somewhat open but a solid barn find up to a nice driver would be the range with me leaning toward the driver side. PM me or mention it here which ever you're comfortable with. Thanks.
    A two-tone 1956 President Pinehurst is definitely 'where it's at' Nels!

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    There is one in the Ron Hackenberger Auction coming up!

And a rare 1957 Packard wagon at the same auction.

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar

Here's another '56 for referrence. As found in 2006:

At the moment I can't locate more recent pics of the car. The dents you see I have knocked out and have redone a few things.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I've got one that can be let go. 1956 Parkview/Commander with V-8, overdrive transmission and power steering. Newly upholstered seats, NOS door panels, new headliner needing to be installed, recently rebuilt brakes. Drove very well when I was driving it, but it's been sitting for 3 or 4 years. Paint job is terrible/awful/lousy/crappy.

My email address is in my profile. Don't have a camera, so that puts a damper on selling anything on the Internet.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Yes, I'd love to find one of those. There was one for sale ap around NY city a few years ago but the Crome was missing and I'm sure it was rusted to beat the band. I remember it had power seat and maybe factory air(?).

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qsanford View Post
    There is one in the Ron Hackenberger Auction coming up!
    I'll have to check that out. It's just up the road about 50 miles or so.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sals54 View Post
    Sorry, no longer for sale, but you should show her these so she can see how a 56 Wagon is supposed to look.[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/sals54/media/photo%202_zpsxmuiblxd.jpg.html][/URL
    Can't show her those, Sal. She will think they all should have that roof line. Then what am I to do?

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie J. View Post
    Obviously a lady of impeccable discernment and taste.
    It's only taken about fifty years and if it wasn't for my daughter suggesting my wife should get a Studebaker wagon she still wouldn't be getting it. Haha

It is all a matter of taste (or lack of it ) I guess, but I could never get past that '56 Grille, but the side trim on the '56 President Pinehurst is Great!

57 Parkview @ Portland (from Cali).jpg 57PresidentBroadmoor.jpg 57Parkview_IncaYellowRF.jpg Broadmoor Matt's1.jpg Yellow Pelham3.jpg White_Gold Broadmoor1.jpgParkview Pelham Reedsville 09.jpgProvincial Red Wht1.JPGParkview Red_ White New York6.jpg

Ross 57 Provincial.jpg This outta give Her something to think about! I think this is a good selection of COLORS, all Factory or close, except 2.
    These Pics can be clicked TWICE.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-19-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Silver Hawk Member
    JMHO, but I'd go for the '57 Packard wagon and add a Powershift tranny and a serious layer of sound deadening mat over every inch of the interior. I know one long-time SDCer who built a nice wagon and then sold it because he said it had too much highway noise. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    I've got one that can be let go. 1956 Parkview/Commander with V-8, overdrive transmission and power steering. Newly upholstered seats, NOS door panels, new headliner needing to be installed, recently rebuilt brakes. Drove very well when I was driving it, but it's been sitting for 3 or 4 years. Paint job is terrible/awful/lousy/crappy.

My email address is in my profile. Don't have a camera, so that puts a damper on selling anything on the Internet.
    Roy, Check your PM. I have an Avanti radio I need converted to FM/plug in
    sals54

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nels View Post
    Can't show her those, Sal. She will think they all should have that roof line. Then what am I to do?
    You just make it happen, Cap'n. Its not as hard as it looks. The two tops interchange perfectly. Cut the top off a Lark at the A pillar, B pillar and D pillar. Cut out the C. All the glass will fit back in and you don't even have to change the rear window.
    sals54

Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    JMHO, but I'd go for the '57 Packard wagon and add a Powershift tranny and a serious layer of sound deadening mat over every inch of the interior. I know one long-time SDCer who built a nice wagon and then sold it because he said it had too much highway noise. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines
    My Packard wagon isn't that noisy on the highway.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

President Member
    Sounds easy

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post

Roy, pm sent.

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Interesting about road noise. The Champ pickup I drive is noisy. Actually both the V8 and the 245 six. The '56 pictured above is certainly not, even before I fixed the exhaust leaks (fist sized holes in the muffler). I've had two '64 wagons that were noisy, as well as creaking, banging, and groaning on turns. Yet the '63 wagon I had rode smoothly, quietly, and no chassis noise at all. My '62 sedan (poor little Sweet-pea) was quiet as well.

Cretin that I am, I love the front end on the '56 and the '57. Not wild about the rear of the '57, but it's tolerable. Unlike the front end on the '58's. All except the Scottsman, the only '58 I can stand. Now when it comes to the trucks, I love all of 'em. Just can't afford the one I need. I have been considering selling my '56 wagon to get a bigger truck, except it's such a wrench to let the old girl go.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

President Member
    Even the name "Country Sedan" for the 57 Packard wagon sounds so elegant. That would be a hard one for me to resist.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
    I tested her using a photo of a 57 Packard and she had no interest? There is one of those at the auction coming up in a few months.
    Last edited by nels; 03-20-2017 at 01:34 PM.

President Member
    Nels
    My 1956 Pinehurst wagon is still for sale.
    It has no drive train but comes with a 1956 President Classic parts car with a low milage engine with
    Automatic and power steering.
    Hard cash $2400.00 for the pair.
    We are planning to get it outside for people to examine the pair closely but that will not be till July or so because
    I am still very weak from my triple bypass operation ,you can look at these inside if you want.
    I have two 1962 automatic Hawks and a pair of 57 Golden Hawks and a pair of 1958 Packard Hawks for sale also.
    Hoods , doors, trunk lids and most sheet metal for sale.
    Robert Kapteyn
    studebaker@mac.com

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Nels
    It has no drive train but comes with a 1956 President Classic parts car with a low milage engine with
    We are planning to get it outside for people to examine the pair closely but that will not be till July or so because
    I am still very weak from my triple bypass operation ,you can look at these inside if you want.
    I have two 1962 automatic Hawks and a pair of 57 Golden Hawks and a pair of 1958 Packard Hawks for sale also.
    Robert Kapteyn
    studebaker@mac.com

Here are a few pictures of Bob's '56 wagon I took last summer.

right rear qtr.jpgright front.jpg033.jpginterior.jpg034.jpg036.jpg
    Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    \'63 R2 Lark (the moneypit-mobile)

President Member
    Nels,

Here is a 55 Wagon FYI. Not a 56 or 57 but thought I would mention it for another data point. Not mine and don't know anything about it.

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/6051389114.html

President Member
    When it comes to Studebaker Station wagons, a '56 Pinehurst would be the ultimate example.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studefan View Post
    Nels,

Here is a 55 Wagon FYI. Not a 56 or 57 but thought I would mention it for another data point. Not mine and don't know anything about it.

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/6051389114.html
    A cute car, but honestly, I could never drive a Stude with a brand X power plant. To me it just completely wipes out any personality the car had. Thanks for the thought though.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Nels
    Robert Kapteyn
    studebaker@mac.com
    May have to take a look at that one Bob.

President Member
    Does anybody think there might be a restored or just nice example out there that might be for sale? The President series would/is my first choice but as I said before, the V8 is most important. I really do have a lot on my plate these days and a restoration probably isn't the best route if I can help it.

For the money you can't beat Bob's deal.
    If I weren't into my Packard up to my eyeballs, I'd be by his garage with a trailer.

Wrong year but I still have mine, a 55 original V8 auto. Original paint. 8K
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clonelark View Post
    Wrong year but I still have mine, a 55 original V8 auto. Original paint. 8K
    PM has been sent