Thread: Last Studebaker vehicle

Last Studebaker vehicle

I'm a little foggy on the details, but was it the 1966 Cruiser that was the last vehicle produced by Studebaker or was it a zip van?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

The 1966 Cruiser in the SMN.

Craig

Perhaps a Zip van was the last Studebaker to be Studebaker-powered?

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Quote Originally Posted by Milaca View Post
    Perhaps a Zip van was the last Studebaker to be Studebaker-powered?
    Thatcouldbe.
    I think I'm remembering that a zip van was last thing produced at South Bend.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Thatcouldbe.
    I think I'm remembering that a zip van was last thing produced at South Bend.
    Actually the Zip Van (at least the body) was made in Pa. I've never seen if those bodies were shipped to South Bend for driveline, gauges & wiring for final assembly of if those Studebaker pieces were sent to the body plant in Pa. As I recall the bodies were made by a company that had been making vending machines and due to whatever politics were at the time, required Studebaker to use them in making the bodies. There is a picture for sale in e-bay that shows completed units on rail cars from what looked like the South Bend plant. However it was done though production was completed as I recall in April 1964.

Perhaps someone can look up the 3 issues of turning Wheels that had info on the Zip Van, april 1981, december 1992 & july 1996.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Wasn't the last Studebaker in the Harrah's/national auto museum in Reno, Nevada some months ago?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    I believe the museum in Reno has the last Wagonaire produced, green I believe. Nice looking wagon.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

President Member
    I believe the olive green 66 Wagonaire was the last sold Studebaker produced, next last Studebaker. When Jenny and I went and took a tour, when we got to that section, the tour guide has to add a comment that you can see why it was the last car Studebaker made. He said something to the effect the style was way out of date. I have been to Reno since then but not back to the museum.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Wasn't the last Studebaker in the Harrah's/national auto museum in Reno, Nevada some months ago?
    Its the last 6 cylinder Studebaker made. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=harrahs

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Its the last 6 cylinder Studebaker made. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=harrahs

Craig
    That reminds me. A friend here in southern Oregon has a running '66 Wagoniare, V8 (but not drivable at the moment) with a 44 rear end all for $600. comes with extra roof. PM me if you want more details

Silver Hawk Member
    Craig and Scott are correct. A Zip Van was the last Studebaker built in South Bend. The 66 Cruiser in the museum is the last Studebaker car built. It's too bad the factory didn't build one extra Zip Van to keep in the corporate collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Craig and Scott are correct. A Zip Van was the last Studebaker built in South Bend. The 66 Cruiser in the museum is the last Studebaker car built. It's too bad the factory didn't build one extra Zip Van to keep in the corporate collection.
    Then I guess that would make that zip van the last factory-built Studebaker powered Studebaker. I suppose the chances it survived are extremely slim.

Silver Hawk Member
    Then I guess that would make that zip van the last factory-built Studebaker powered Studebaker. I suppose the chances it survived are extremely slim.
    I believe the last Canadian-built 1964-model Lark-type was built several months after the last Zip Van, and would thus be the last Stude-powered Studebaker. Don't have access to my books at the moment, so I can't confirm that.

Golden Hawk Member
    I believe the last Canadian-built 1964-model Lark-type was built several months after the last Zip Van, and would thus be the last Stude-powered Studebaker. Don't have access to my books at the moment, so I can't confirm that.
    I agree with Skip on this assessment.
    Zip Vans were built into the 1964 model year, but were all technically 1963 models due to the government contract.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Hmmm.
    Do we know the whereabouts of the last Studebaker powered vehicle?

Silver Hawk Member
    Hmmm.
    Do we know the whereabouts of the last Studebaker powered vehicle?
    I can't answer that question, but the last Stude-powered vehicles were built in Hamilton in July 1964. Their serial numbers were C110209 and C510296.