Thread: Ride in 32 Stude Indy car. Los Angeles chapter Winter meet

Speedster Member

Ride in 32 Stude Indy car. Los Angeles chapter Winter meet

This video was made by the man who rode in the Indy car at the show. The last 5 minutes is of the Indy car and Studebaker show. Just a small flash of my red car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrNcxXzxr0g

Great video!
    Thanks, Alex!
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Silver Hawk Member
    Starts right up, drives off and runs well. Thanks for posting. Nice video of the show also. Bob
    , ,

A fantastic Video! Could we expect any less from California? Wouldn't you like to have had a heart rate monitor on Gary Ash when he views the Indy car? Should give inspiration for the project he's been working on for years.

For me, of great interest, was the fact that the owner's last name is "Cleary." Most of my life, I have encountered folks trying to spell my name that way. Even as a child, I would always say, "We couldn't afford an "e." Seeing this gentleman, along with what he can afford, confirms the fact that my longtime assessment was correct.
    Last edited by jclary; 03-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    Last Thanksgiving I went to a small Cars and Coffee in Jacksonville Fl. At least 3 people asked the same question I heard mentioned in that video; Who made Studebakers?. I even overheard one younger guy say to his wife that they were made by Rambler.

I quickly corrected him.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Golden Hawk Member
    Love this video!....The blue # 18 1932 Studebaker Indy racer is a REAL BEAUTY!

It reminds me of the ride I took with Bob Valpey a few years ago in his green # 37 1932 Indy racer....The main thing the 'riding mechanic' has to remember is: 'KEEP YOUR ARM AWAY FROM THAT EXHAUST STOVEPIPE!!!..(YEEOOWW!! don't ask me how I know)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting a great video Alex.
    .....The Winter Meet will be even better next year..........
    ............NO.......! We are not "fading away".............

Great stuff
    !
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Yes, I loved it! The video was great for promoting the Studebaker brand. I remember my ride in Mike Cleary's #18 car in Cedar Rapids, great fun. I still have a ways to go to finish my replica.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    For me, of great interest, was the fact that the owner's last name is "Cleary." Most of my life, I have encountered folks trying to spell my name that way. Even as a child, I would always say, "We couldn't afford an "e."
    My name is Roy, but for sixty years, strangers have insisted on calling me Ray or Ron.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Speedster Member
    If I see him at a future show I may ask him how much he has in it. He did say he had to redo everything on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    A fantastic Video! Could we expect any less from California? Wouldn't you like to have had a heart rate monitor on Gary Ashe when he views the Indy car? Should give inspiration for the project he's been working on for years.

For me, of great interest, was the fact that the owner's last name is "Cleary." Most of my life, I have encountered folks trying to spell my name that way. Even as a child, I would always say, "We couldn't afford an "e." Seeing this gentleman, along with what he can afford, confirms the fact that my longtime assessment was correct.

Golden Hawk Member
    While we're on the subject....side detail of Valpey's # 37 car.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure had to wade through a lot of Brand X stuff and that annoying guy to get to the Studebakers - but it was great to see some coverage for my fave brand.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Alex, I wouldn't ask Mike Cleary how much he has in the car - it doesn't matter. He acquired the well-preserved original body, radiator shell, and cowl structure about 1965, but it didn't include a complete chassis, engine, or transmission. I think he spent nearly 20 years acquiring the correct pieces, while Darrell Dye rebuilt the car for him. Mike's father worked for Studebaker in marketing in the 1920s and 1930s, so this was an act of love, not a tight-budget project. The result is excellent, and Mike has displayed the car all over the country and drives it, with his son, in vintage racing events. The car made its first re-appearance in the Great Race of 1984. See Antique Studebaker Review issues, May/June 1984 and Sept/Oct 1984 for some history. Here is the body as Mike found it in Chicago in 1965.

1965#18body.jpg
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

My apologies to Gary Ash... In my attempt to acknowledge his dedication to his Indy Racer Replica project,I did what others have done to my name & added an "e." I corrected my post.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

President Member
    As I mentioned in the video, I have bumper stickers (magnetic) for sale that answer the question "who built Studebaker". Please PM me for details.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - in process)

President Member
    I saw one of the 4 Indy Studebaker race cars on one of the Interstate Battery tours at Newnan Georgia several years ago.. It's amassing that it will idle well with those 4 antiquated carburetors.. At least they used downdrafts..
    Last edited by benaslopoke; 03-18-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Great sound!
    Don Wilson

63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA

Speedster Member
    Yes, over that long a time period it would be impossible to put a price on how much was spent.

Quote Originally Posted by garyash View Post
    Alex, I wouldn't ask Mike Cleary how much he has in the car - it doesn't matter. He acquired the well-preserved original body, radiator shell, and cowl structure about 1965, but it didn't include a complete chassis, engine, or transmission. I think he spent nearly 20 years acquiring the correct pieces, while Darrell Dye rebuilt the car for him. Mike's father worked for Studebaker in marketing in the 1920s and 1930s, so this was an act of love, not a tight-budget project. The result is excellent, and Mike has displayed the car all over the country and drives it, with his son, in vintage racing events. The car made its first re-appearance in the Great Race of 1984. See Antique Studebaker Review issues, May/June 1984 and Sept/Oct 1984 for some history. Here is the body as Mike found it in Chicago in 1965.

1965#18body.jpg

I have always thought the grill was lovely on those. Those are two man cars....I'd want to hang some lights on it and street it.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.