Thread: Given up on Ebay? Me too, almost. Just listed a 1953 Insdie facts and approx 20 other items

President Member

Given up on Ebay? Me too, almost. Just listed a 1953 Insdie facts and approx 20 other items

I usually list a few hundred Studebaker items on Ebay over the winter but results have been so bad of late I listed almost none this season.
    Thought I would give it one more try so just posted around 20 items including my last 1953 Studebaker Inside Facts. For the entire list
    click below:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/studeq/m.htm...p2047675.l2562

53 fact book cover.jpg
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Blog Entries
    Some really nice items Richard........not that I would expect anything less from you.

I've never seen the AM-FM promotional folder, really neat.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    Sales are slow on EBay for sure. I listed around 500 brochures this winter most of which were not Studebaker. I sold around 150 of them. But the average price was $10. The prices on such items seem to be dropping. They were mainly from 30's to 60's. Good thing is my kids will not have to deal with those when I am gone. I also found it interesting the number of offers I had for less money when they were already priced to sell and I did not have the Make An Offer option turned on

Golden Hawk Member
    I think that the EBay search is so full of spam that it's pushing away potential buyers. It's a lot harder to find what you're looking for now.

Getting ready to list another hundred or so NOS items.Quite a few sell to known parts vendors I imagine follow me on eBay.
    eBay may be slow but it still beats my local craigslist and after trying a few times in my chapter newsletter I found that was a waste of time.
    On the fence about going to South Bend.My used stuff sells well,NOS not so much and that's to be expected,there is so much there by national vendors.
    I might shut down sales and just hoard it.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    I think that the EBay search is so full of spam that it's pushing away potential buyers. It's a lot harder to find what you're looking for now.
    X2,
    Search results have become ridiculous.

Think part of problem is the age of Studebaker collectors most have been in the hobby for many years and have most if not all the items related to the year and model they have. Having two brands of collector cars I have most of the items I need or want but still look as someone may have something that would spark my interest. For fun now my search is for service bulletins related to my own model and year. The amount of trash or non related items turning up on search are a down side of Ebay

Yet...Ebay remains a viable resource, even with its imperfections. Where else can you get instant worldwide exposure? I wonder how many "wall hanger" items have been purchased, say, from a college kid in Nebraska, an interior decorator in Poland, or a Studebaker owner in the Netherlands looking for a hood ornament? Surfing Ebay, there are folks accidentally stumbling across your listing to those purposely seeking that elusive part.

Ebay might be helped by one Craigslist feature. That is the "flagging" feature where users can "flag" for removal a listing that breaks certain rules. For us, that would be those idiotic "fits Studebaker" items like replacement oxygen sensors. Often, when I find something I'm thinking about buying, even if not from Ebay, I will find myself checking Ebay to gauge what it is selling for by multiple sellers.

While typing this response, it brings up another thought for us Studebaker fans. That is Ed Reynolds...who could be perhaps considered the EBAY of the Studebaker vendor resources. I am clueless regarding Ed's cost of doing business. It has to be substantial. Last week, at York, he shows up, multiple people, well organized, and very clean parts, some NOS, and great reproduction parts. In addition, there's his catalog. I'm sure the catalog is a major investment.

What struck me about the S.I.catalog, other vendors use it as their "price-guide," or pricing Bible! Other Vendors, benefit from Ed's investment, at least, by using his catalog pricing as a "negotiating base." I can't tell you how many times I picked up a used, or shelf-worn part, to see it priced the same as a pristine clean part in S.I.'s inventory. Or, when negotiating a price, hear the comment, "This is a great deal! S.I. is selling them for $XXX!"

My conclusion is, few things are perfect, but we need to find a way to turn them to our advantage. I have heard folks disparage S.I. for their pricing, but I doubt many would have the stomach for putting the amount of money required at risk, toward servicing such a "specialized" market. Same for our fellow forum member Richard Quinn, who continues to list his great items on Ebay. Like us, he recognizes the flaws, but still knows its the best place for greatest sale potential. Like many of you, I might get aggravated...but, I ain't giving up.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    I usually list a few hundred Studebaker items on Ebay over the winter but results have been so bad of late I listed almost none this season.
    Thought I would give it one more try so just posted around 20 items including my last 1953 Studebaker Inside Facts. For the entire list
    click below:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/studeq/m.htm...p2047675.l2562

53 fact book cover.jpg
    I bought one of these 1953 Fact Books from Richard several years ago and I can say it is a VERY NICE product and well worth the money especially considering the extremely small number of original books.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Silver Hawk Member
    As one gets older the interest gets less on buying and also on selling, I find it easier to just scrap things just to get piece of mind with all the stuff just sitting here taking up space. I have a few project cars sitting and no energy or will to work on anything and finding no one else wanting them either, good luck Dick with your items.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Silver Hawk Member
    I'll agree that Ebay is not the place it used to be but it still is my go-to place for many items. In my location it's difficult to find a good source for aluminum/stainless sheet and low volume fasteners. For my 74 Avanti dash I just received a sheet of 1/8' aluminum plate 21X36 less than $30 total shipped, 40 black button head bolts under $8 and a Honda Hood cable $9 shipped.

So there value there, just takes more digging and patience. Hope your items sell well this time Dick.

Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    I wouldn't blame eBay. It is bigger than ever and still growing.

If you are selling, there is no other place where you can get the possibility of that many eyes on your item. If you are buying, the item you need is going to be there...often at the cheapest price you can find anyplace else.

With that said, as a seller there are certainly items that are not going to bring what you want them to bring or think they should bring. That's the market, unfortunately. It's not eBay's fault that the market has priced an item lower than what you think it's worth. For that reason, I've decided to keep my literature. I've tried selling it and it doesn't bring enough to be worth my time. I'll pull it out in my old age and look at it and smile. Here's my advice for those that are saving their Studebaker parts because they will be worth even more later. Don't.

As far as buying goes, eBay is the best source I have found for used items. Swap meets are fun and I do many each year, but more for the entertainment value and being with friends than for actually buying something I need for a project. Often new items I need are on eBay and often at the lowest price available, but I still check all the usual other sources for pricing and availability.

Since there are continually more items on ebay now, searching can not usually be done the way we did it 10 years ago. I can remember searching for "Studebaker" and only getting enough hits that I could view them all in one session. Those days are long gone, but there are plenty of tools out there to allow you to zero in on what you are looking for without wading through a bunch of items that don't meet your criteria. Here's a few, but they are the tip of the iceberg...

http://mashable.com/2015/02/26/ebay-.../#iptkLpgGX5qw
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    Couple items were hollerin "buy me".

So I bid.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

President Member
    Hi Dick,
    for the sort of kooky stuff you have for sale, you would be better off just starting an eBay shop and putting your price on it and waiting for it to sell. You can shut the shop down and keep your listings whilst you are away and doing other things and switch it back on again.

The shop is cheap to set up and a great alternative for selling an item for $30.00 in shop format than $7.65 at auction. But you will miss the crazy sales where the prices can go nuts. For the really odd items you may still be better to auction them and let the buyer have a 'dust up' over them.

Regards
    Greg
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Silver Hawk Member
    Yes, eBay is the world's marketplace and nowhere else is it possible to get that kind of exposure.

No, it's a long way from perfect. One problem no one has mentioned, most likely because Studebaker items don't often attract scammers, but it's a problem with some more general demand items. A scammer buyer will buy an item, then file a complaint with eBay that it never arrived or arrived damaged. Without asking the seller, eBay will just refund the buyer and take back the money from the seller's account. The seller then has the difficult chore of proving the item did arrive (even the shipper's confirmation of delivery is not always enough unless it was signature required) or the buyer might never respond with photos of the supposed damage. eBay itself is very slow and uncooperative with helping the seller; they're big enough they don't care if a small seller gets hurt and stops listing. Most volume eBay sellers just write it off as a loss and price the next one accordingly.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    The times they are a changing! Ephemera seems to have turned from 'very collectible' to 'hard to sell'. Years ago car magazines were hot with several sellers seen at every swap meet. Today, hardly anyone bothers to bring them unless they're in a 'free' box.

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    I rather like the 'bay. Searches can be a touch heavy and I find often the same item in a search multiple times on a regular basis. Some searches with ten to twenty pages would likely compact down to five pages or so without the repetition. Don't much like selling on it as the fees and etc usually eat up any income from the sale. A few years ago I sold several thousand dollars in model trains and got good prices for everything. Then came the fees, delays, and other issues from the 'bay. However, as it has been mentioned here, nowhere else could I get that kind of exposure. So I suppose in the main, the 'bay is still tops in my books. I also like Etsy, but one isn't going to find car parts there. If one sells a lot of stuff on the 'bay, I would also recommend a 'store' format too. Makes it a lot easier for the buyer too as they can 'follow' your shop and check in from time to time to see what is new on your 'shelves'.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I have a saved search for Avanti items. Today of the 20 items found, 9 were wrist watches!
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acolds View Post
    Think part of problem is the age of Studebaker collectors most have been in the hobby for many years and have most if not all the items related to the year and model they have. Having two brands of collector cars I have most of the items I need or want but still look as someone may have something that would spark my interest. For fun now my search is for service bulletins related to my own model and year. The amount of trash or non related items turning up on search are a down side of Ebay
    I have sent you a PM concerning the service bulletins

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studeclunker
    I rather like the 'bay. Searches can be a touch heavy and I find often the same item in a search multiple times on a regular basis. Some searches with ten to twenty pages would likely compact down to five pages or so without the repetition.
    have a saved search for Avanti items. Today of the 20 items found, 9 were wrist watches!
    X2, Search results have become ridiculous.
    And eBay and their power sellers spent a lot of programming time and money to make it that way. They try to make it impossible to avoid the power sellers who pay extra to come up in every search; even where their item description is a flat lie. They want to shove their garbage up our noses, hoping just maybe after we've had a couple of beers, one piece of crappage will catch a BIN.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I have a saved search for Avanti items. Today of the 20 items found, 9 were wrist watches!
    Don,
    Check tip #7 in the link I provided.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

All the crap that is listed with Studebaker in the title has really slowed my looking and buying on ebay, but even worse is the high shipping, and all the items the post office has lost and broken of the things I bought. A few weeks ago I bought a pair of 1950 Commander taillights that looked NOS from a guy in Wisconsin. He packed them very well, but the post office still found a way to break one of them. Thankfully the seller refunded some of the money and I kept the good one, because I've never been able to collect from the post office for what they break, and loose.

Golden Hawk Member
    so just posted around 20 items including my last 1953 Studebaker Inside Facts.
    53 fact book cover.jpg
    I am surprised that you would sell your last of anything (Studebaker paper). Does this mean that you still have an original or that you are not keeping this one because it is a reprint?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    I have one of Dick's colored reprints from 1997, also an original '53 Fact Book without the colored pages, just a few are known. Importantly, I have the original Studebaker "cut & paste" '53 Fact Book that Ralph Myers helped to put together. One of those non colored '53 Studebaker versions from the Asa Hall collection sold on Ebay a decade ago for over $1000.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I am surprised that you would sell your last of anything (Studebaker paper). Does this mean that you still have an original or that you are not keeping this one because it is a reprint?
    I have the best surviving original or I wouldn't be selling my last reprint.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    All the crap that is listed with Studebaker in the title has really slowed my looking and buying on ebay, but even worse is the high shipping, and all the items the post office has lost and broken of the things I bought. A few weeks ago I bought a pair of 1950 Commander taillights that looked NOS from a guy in Wisconsin. He packed them very well, but the post office still found a way to break one of them. Thankfully the seller refunded some of the money and I kept the good one, because I've never been able to collect from the post office for what they break, and loose.
    I keep hearing about the high cost of shipping.Check the post office lately or mailed something similar in weight and size?
    If a seller has high shipping fees don't bid,it's that simple.
    Never had a part break in over 10,000 sales.Knock on wood.The item has to be in a proper sized box.Well packed in a too small box is almost as bad as poorly packed in a larger box.
    Last edited by bob40; 03-18-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

President Member
    I have the best surviving original or I wouldn't be selling my last reprint.
    By good fortune I believe my '53 Fact Book remains in great shape for its 64 years survivalDSC03250.jpg

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

President Member
    Years ago I purchased a NOS rear quarter molding on ebay for my '62 Lark. Long package. Shipped out by U.S. Mail.
    They found it more convenient in handling to fold the package over a couple of times.
    Vendor wasn't at all happy when informed. But was a real stand up guy, took the loss and shipped out another NOS replacement, this one securely strapped to a sturdy board.
    ICU and thanks again.
    Last edited by Jessie J.; 03-19-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    Are you aware that you can Filter Out the watches and other such stuff, by using the Advanced Search option in the upper right hand corner of the E-Bay Listing .
    When you open that option up, you see a list of things you can use to filter out what you don't want to look at. One option is to search only North America. That eliminates all the trash from China and Hong Kong etc. . Further down that page is an option to "Include" certain sellers. If you click on that ,the drop down will give you the option to EXCLUDE certain sellers. You then type in the seller's E-bay name, and ALL of that sellers listings are eliminated. You can add as many as you wish........put a comma behind each name, before entering the next name. Yes it will take some input time, but the reward is a cleaned up list of Studebaker parts that you can quickly review.
    When I set mine up I did 2 or 3 sellers at a time, and then checked to see if I had the seller's name in correctly. E-Bay will tell you if you got one wrong. Doing only 2 or 3 at a time you can easily find which one needs to be corrected.
    Hope this helps
    JLB

President Member
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see is that Ebay does all that filtering for their buyers so that when a search is for 1935 Studebaker parts and or 1963 Avanti R2 parts that's all they get. But that probably will not happen because there is a "possibility" that someone looking for 1963 Avanti R2 parts might want, instead, an Avanti refrigerator and that's money to Ebay. Ken, Deltaville, Va

On my saved search I have 15 words blocked and still get about 50% stuff I don't want. It takes me q while to find out how to edit and revise that search. How to do that is not intuitively clear.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

To filter out most of the junk I search like this and add any other words that help slim the list:

Studebaker -(fits, mustang, rat, advertisement)

Just about every part I list on ebay states the years and models it is for.
    Does it help to find parts if when looking your search is very specific?
    I don't shop on there so I don't search for anything.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob40 View Post
    Does it help to find parts if when looking your search is very specific?
    Not even. eBay has completely whored out to the power sellers. They've purposely perverted the search function, so no matter how specific your description, you will be shown hundreds of parts which definitely do not fit a Studebaker.

As stated previously by others, only by taking a lot of your time to write a query to specifically exclude the crappage can a search show only that which you were seeking.

jack vines
    PackardV8