Thread: lark leaf spring mounting holes

Speedster Member

lark leaf spring mounting holes

Just pulled the rear springs out of my 59 lark and I noticed two sets of mounting holes on the front mount, one above the other about 3/4" apart. Funny thing was…driver side was in lower hole pass was in upper? maybe original owner liked cake and ice cream a little too much? Seriously was this just for more adjustability from the factory?

President Member
    The factory made them that way since the battery, driver and gas tank favor the left side.

That is correct, AND the Steering Gear with Column, put them back like they were!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Thanks for the input guys Don't think i've ever taken apart a car with multiple spring mounting holes from the factory. And Rich I understand what your saying … but at this point the sbc and 4spd are mocked up in the car , the 9" is narrowed , the fender well headers are done ,the battery will be in pass side trunk, and I don't think the cal trac style bars will like being in different holes. But its still tahiti choral and gonna look kinda stock with hub caps and all

President Member
    Studebaker was building 'world' cars before that term became popular. So if this was a right-hand drive car the spring mounting would have been just the opposite.

Speedster Member
    I am truly starting to see the depth of studebakers innovative thinking … both my parents are from England and as a youngster I spent several summers there , My uncle had a scrapyard that I had at my disposal , and one summer I converted a mini to lhd using an export rack and pinion. BMC definatly didn't put a lot of thought into weight distribution

President Member
    Minis! I hated 'em! Specifically doing transmissions because of chipped teeth on the non-syncro first gear. They certainly were a brilliant design for the time though. Especially Hydrolastic suspension.

Speedster Member
    Gotta admit … fun as heck to drive , like a roller skate on rails

Banned
    Noticed on '56 Golden Hawks (maybe others?) that the rear spring shackles are about 1" longer, on the left side only.

President Member
    Auto manufacturers have used "weight" shifting positions on lots of cars and trucks, even different springs left and right, shims under body mounts. Mostly so they "feel" visually right from behind the steering wheel. Up to you if you bother to use them correctly or not-just don't complain that the car looks lopsided from behind with the driver in the car if you don't !!!!!

Speedster Member
    So what happens if the drivers significant other doesn't fit into the engineers calculations?

President Member
    That is what the extra holes are for.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    So what happens if the drivers significant other doesn't fit into the engineers calculations?
    Studebaker was ahead of it's time!

My 96 Toyota Land Cruiser (truly a world-platform) has specific locations for each spring, depending on whether it is RHD or LHD. Everything is designed to be universal as much as possible. The DS seatbelt is no longer available, so I bought a used set of a PASSENGER front belt. I removed it to install in the DS and discovered that the passenger belt is about 12" LONGER than the DS belt. I guess the significant others are already figured into the equation of being significantly larger!
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

President Member
    Studebaker leveled their cars with a full tank of gas and a 150 lb driver....

Speedster Member
    Oh crud… i'm in trouble now better add a 3rd hole lower on the left side.. haven't been 150 lbs since 10th grade!

President Member
    Not to worry, add a NASCAR weight box to the right side--or leave as is as long as the "left side weight" is in specs.

Speedster Member
    Guess I'm gonna need a bigger battery in pass side trunk. Thanks for the laughs guys!