President Member

The 2007 SDC Roster....

....is online...

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...-2007-roster/7

Wow.. who did this?

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Golden Hawk Member
    I'm more curious as to why the header / page title says "Florida Big Bend Chapter". The Big Bend Chapter doesn't even have a website.

Between the 10 year old roster and pages of Ed Reynolds' catalog being scanned, I'd bet there are some copyright violations going on.

Golden Hawk Member
    The entire SDC Membership Roster is Copyrighted as well as the entire SI Catalog.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

And, who asked if the members listed in the Roster agreed to this 10 years ago.

I went to the site, and if it does not enlarge anymore on other computers than it does mine, few folks will hang around and squint trying to make use of it. My name is there, but the data being that old, is as much an obituary list as a member list.

Shucks, there's much larger concerns getting hacked and your data being blasted across the world than any useful info from this obscure site. Like Google, Yahoo, State Revenue services, Target, military services, hospitals, and every credit card in your wallet.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Hold your hats.. the 2005 Roster is online also. Appears to be from a different source...

http://www.la94022.com/~studebaker/m...C%20Roster.pdf

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Speedster Member
    Wow. privacy concerns abound.

Scary to think of having one's flock of cars listed in the roster just to become some unscrupulous character's shopping/target list on the internet....

Quote Originally Posted by 4jc8z View Post
    Wow. privacy concerns abound.

Scary to think of having one's flock of cars listed in the roster just to become some unscrupulous character's shopping/target list on the internet....
    All of mine are for sale and I welcome any and all inquiries.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Do we have any Board members here who'd care to comment on this? I'd think it ought to be a pretty big deal.
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

The 2005 list has my 55 Conestoga and my 51 Business Coupe listed still have em.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Silver Hawk Member
    I agree that some input from the board would be nice. Suggest we each contact our own board member.

I am not on the board, but was at one of the times when this matter was discussed. The rosters clearly state that reproduction of the contents is prohibited, so the posters of these rosters have violated SDC's copyright. That said, there are no federal copyright storm troopers that enforce copyright law. Enforcement is achieved by suing the offending party. Both SDC and any one of the members whose privacy was violated would have standing to sue. And they would win. And probably be awarded compensatory damages by the court. But collecting might be a problem.

I have occasionally be accused of living under a rock, so I'm not surprised that I haven't heard of either of the organizations that posted our rosters. Is anyone else familiar with these people? If not, then probably they have no assets, so the damage award would be meaningless. And the illegally posted rosters would still be out there.

Seems like we could file copyright claims with C&D letters to get these removed.

I also just found the 2009 TW Index on Google Books.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Folks this is a very serious matter and while many here think the Board is asleep it is not. Action is and will be taken against anyone who has violated our copyright and warnings of republishing this roster or others without the Board's permission. They are not asleep at the switch on this one. Hope this helps as I too am listed in there along with my brother, brother-in-law and many others I know.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

President Member
    Interesting, especially since the Google link clearly shows " copyrighted material" on each page. Looks like Google owes some $$$.

First link is dead, second one isn't.

It's good to see some action on this!!!

StudeDave '57

President Member
    Wow let someone show up at my old house looking for me...LOL

Champion Member
    When is a new roster going to be printed?

Commander Member
    Hello everyone. I am not an SDC Board Member, so this is not an "official response". As the SDC Membership Secretary and publisher of the SDC rosters since 2001, I appreciate your input and notifications of links where the roster can be found on-line. Although selling a roster does not violate any terms of the Copyright notice, publishing the roster for public display on the Internet does. I have notified the offenders of their violations and have asked them to remove the publications from the Internet. I have also given them warnings as to further actions if they do not comply. This includes notifying their hosting services of the Copyright violation as well as other legal actions. Hopefully they comply.

Please let me know of any other sites you find. Thank you.
    - Mark Wheeler
    SDC Membership Secretary and SDC Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
    Wow let someone show up at my old house looking for me...LOL
    Unrelated to this thread topic...but the above comment about "Show up at my (old) house looking for me" elicited this memory.

When I first discovered this "Forum,"..., I knew immediately what the term "STOVEHUGGERS," meant when I saw we had a place for non-Studebaker related topics. In the early 1960's we lived not far from an old Country Store on a rural road near the N.C./S.C. state line. In fact, it was called "State Line Grocery." The store was the hub of community activity, gathering, etc. There was a big potbelly stove, hoop cheese, and soda crackers, available, along with two big jars of pickles. One jar of dill pickles, another of pickled boiled eggs (never tried those). Often, if you didn't find someone home, you could find them at the "STORE."

I was not there on this particular day, but here's the story as it was told to me. Several of the community's gentry (ahem...stovehuggers) were gathered around the stove, telling tales and solving the world's problems. A big black sedan pulls up, two gentlemen in suits get out, walk into the store and asks the storekeeper if he knew Howard Jones? A simple nod toward the group seated near the stove was the answer. Now, to appreciate this moment, you'd have to know "H'ard" (drawl for Howard). A rather short man, whose nose forgot to stop growing when the rest of him did. Always reminded me of the Actor/Comedian, Jimmy Durante. Although short in stature, Howard was just as bombastic in personality, and had a great sense of humor.

So, as the two gentlemen stepped over to the gathering, one of them asked, "One of you Howard Jones?" Instantly, there was this loud sarcastic reply..."Depends on if you are from the IRS, or FBI!"
    Next...was a flash of two FBI badges! They say Howard went pale, 'cept for his "red" nose.

It all ended well though, as they were checking with Howard about a neighbor's son who had listed him as a reference on his application to become an FBI agent. Must have been OK, 'cause the kid became an agent.

Howard's wife was one of my 8th grade school teachers. I have good memories of both. (RIP)
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    Hold your hats.. the 2005 Roster is online also. Appears to be from a different source...

http://www.la94022.com/~studebaker/m...C%20Roster.pdf
    I contacted the person who made this roster available on-line. He has removed it from the Internet.
    - Mark Wheeler
    SDC Membership Secretary and SDC Webmaster

Mark

Thank you for taking the action and time to notify the seller that is is a little off base in attempting to sell his roster.
    See you in the future as I write about our past