Clutch size differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch size differences

Does anyone know the size of clutch disc and pressure plate I would use in my '51 Champion (3spd Std. with O/D)?

I've read the applicable parts of the Shop and Chassis manuals with no luck. The manual and vendor's catalogs describe the 8" and the 8 1/2" disc and plate used in 39-60 6cyl. Champions. The 8"X 1" spline is for "standard duty" cars according to Stude Int'l. but no mention as to what the 8 1/2" disc with 1" spline is for. It is either for automatic transmission or for use with standards with overdrive, I would think.

In summary, with my standard with O/D do I use the 8" or 8 1/2" clutch components? I can't, or don't want to take the thing apart until I have the replacements in hand.

Thanks for your help.

Dave D.
    '51 4-dr Champion
    Smithers, B.C.
    Canada
    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

Hi Dave, I am 10 miles South of the B.C. border, and I sell the same 8 or 8 1/2in. clutches. The 800367 8in. is not for '61-64 170 engines, that is the difference. That is telling you that the 8 1/2 is interchangable and optional on '39-'60, but required on '61-'64's. The matching size pressure plate of course, MUST be used, and the flywheel turned (re-surfaced). [^]

What you CANNOT do is use the heavy duty Taxi, Police and Truck 9 1/4 in. clutch, as the flywheel bolt pattern is larger. [:0]

FYI, the Std. and Overdrive get the same clutch, and Automatics have NO clutch.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X