Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

original 51 studebaker 4 door commander auto for sale or info on how to hot rod it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: original 51 studebaker 4 door commander auto for sale or info on how to hot rod it

Hi
    I'm looking for info on putting a newer suspension in my Studebaker. I would like to put power steering and brakes and upgrade the engine and trans to make it a cruiser any help would be appreciated

Thanks Bruce

Originally posted by jd63 View Post
    Hi
    I'm looking for info on putting a newer suspension in my Studebaker. I would like to put power steering and brakes and upgrade the engine and trans to make it a cruiser any help would be appreciated

Thanks Bruce
    I own a '59 and this is what I did so that my daughter could drive and enjoy her Silver hawk....

Treblig

Comment

Thank you for your info. I like the looks of the old girl and its solid but I would just like it to have power steering and power brakes I can leave the original drive train in it as I rebuilt it all yrs ago. I would like to sell it I just don't have any interest up here in alberta canada

Comment

If you are going to sell it, don't mess with it. It will be worth more stock than than with $2,000 of your time and money put into it.

Comment

If you are trying to sell it, do not change the car, just change your selling approach, i.e. an eBay listing with a low reserve.
          If you are going to keep the car, I have owned three Studebakers with Camaro/Firebird front clips. This yielded ps, pdb and a later engine transmission combination. They were nice to drive - sort of like an '80s car.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You would be foolish to put time and investment in to a car you plan to sell. By making the changes you consider you will be cutting your market in half.
            My '51 is a fine cruiser just the way it came from the factory, though I did change to later V-8 drum brakes.
            Last edited by rockne10; 03-15-2017, 04:33 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

it was my moms car and its just sits inside> I would like it to go to some one that would enjoy it. I thought I might drive it more if I upgraded the drive train. But like it was mentioned its worth more original stock and its a good solid car so if you know of any member that may be interested my email is alta6302@yahoo.ca

Comment

Why not just go over the brakes, tune it up, drive it a bit and enjoy the attention it gets? If your goal is to sell it it will bring more if buyers know it's roadworthy. I definitely wouldn't put money in to anything but stock suspension at this point.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That's what I'm thinking, l will have to start doing that, the reason I haven't is we live in the middle of no where and the farm takes up most of my time and when I'm done for the day or weekend the last thing I want to do anymore is work on a car. There was a time that's all I wanted to do. But what is a good selling price for these cars it would be a 7 unrestored car body with rebuilt drive train

Comment

Originally posted by jd63 View Post
                    That's what I'm thinking, l will have to start doing that, the reason I haven't is we live in the middle of no where and the farm takes up most of my time and when I'm done for the day or weekend the last thing I want to do anymore is work on a car. There was a time that's all I wanted to do. But what is a good selling price for these cars it would be a 7 unrestored car body with rebuilt drive train
                    In order to get better estimates of your car's worth you need to post as many pics as possible otherwise everyone is just guessing. In addition, the pics might just get someone's interest???

Treblig

Comment

I posted the pictures of my cars for sale on the general board

Comment

Got my 1950 commander sold last March, check out the movie bad times at el royal you will see it there, I wish they would have kept the baby blue but they painted it two tone brown.

Comment

Working...
                        X