Water hose routings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water hose routings

On the top of the water pump manifold there is a 90 degree elbow for a water hose and towards the middle is a straight pipe outlet for another water hose. What is the routing for each hose?
    My engine is a 289.
    Peter Bishop

From your picture, I assume the routing is for a 1962 GT Hawk. Is page 5 of the Body Parts Manual any help?

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
    On the top of the water pump manifold there is a 90 degree elbow for a water hose and towards the middle is a straight pipe outlet for another water hose. What is the routing for each hose?
    My engine is a 289.
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

The picture confuses me! What is the difference between the water hose connection at the back of the block vs. the two I have described?
      Peter Bishop

Comment

If you have a fitting at the back of the block that was used on cars with a/c due to the compressor covering the fitting where your 90 degree elbow is. One of those 2 should be blocked off & the other hose (pressure hose going to the heater core) should be the straight pipe coming out of the water manifold that feeds the heater core.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you Warren. One of the previous owners installed A/C hence the 90 degree elbow was replaced with a plug, using the back of the block for the water return. For the rebuild, I bought a 90 not realizing the return had two options. Routing solved!
          Peter Bishop

Comment

Peter, you may want to read this:

The Coolant coming from the Upper Water Manifold fitting on the Right for non-A/C Cars, the Left for Factory A/C Cars or the back of the Right Head on Aftermarket A/C Cars, is the HOT Heater Inlet coolant, so that Hose must go to the Heater Valve to be controlled, and then to the Heater & Defroster Cores.

The "RETURN" Hose goes to the LOWER Water Manifold straight Fitting.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Go to pages 3-8 of the 1959-1964 Body Parts Catalog. All the different routings are nicely illustrated.

Comment

On the subject of hose routings, I don't have a lot of history on my 14-month purchase of my 289 cid 1962 GT Hawk, so I don't know what's been done on it in the past by previous owners.

But can someone please clarify for me why there are two water pump manifolds in the Chassis Parts Catalog, one for 1959-1960 V-8s (P/N 1548349) and another for 1961-1964 V-8s (P/N 1551031)? The 1959-1964 Shop Manual shows a plug in the top of the manifold on the passenger's side of the car in Figure 8 of the Water Pump and Fan Belt Section and the drawing of Plate 05-2 of the Chassis Parts Catalog.

I have an R-134a converted air conditioned car with what looks like mostly factory parts (A/C was not original to the car according to the factory order) but the manifold water outlet nipple is on the driver's side of the car. The hose goes correctly to the curved pipe of the water valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1712914

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1712915

Name:	IMG_1744.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1712917
                Bill L.
                1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Reread my Post #6, the Heater Hose for an A/C Installation I described is what you have and if it goes to the Heater Valve as you say, instead of the incorrect routings shown in the other String I referenced and linked to, it is fine.

Keep in mind though, all of those Engine pics are Larks and mostly Champ Pickups, so the Bodies vary from a Hawk, but not the Engines.

The "Other" setup in the Catalog is the Non-A/C on the passenger side, everything you are describing is exactly like Post #6.

The 1960 Water Manifold uses a 4 Bolt Thermostat Housing, a Larger Thermostat and a matching angle Top Radiator Hose.
                  The 1548349 dates back before the Book was printed also, probably to 1956.
                  All of this was changed & updated in 1961. Isn't there a Picture of each in the Chassis Parts Catalog?

You have a completely Original all Studebaker "Factory Type" installation, but it was installed at the Dealer, sometimes called an "After Sale" Installation.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 03-15-2017, 11:07 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Rich. I was primarily wondering why the water manifold water outlet on my 62 GT was on the driver's side even though the car was not factory-ordered with A/C. There's only one drawing for V-8s in the Chassis Catalog and it's marked "Typical." But you did give me another piece of information about the history of the car in that you said the A/C was dealer-installed. I have no early history on the car.
                    Last edited by 56GH; 03-16-2017, 09:22 AM. Reason: misspelling
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                    X