Electric Fan vs. Stock 4 Blade Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Electric Fan vs. Stock 4 Blade Fan

I need advice on which is the better cooling of the 2 systems...the stock 4 bladed fan on my 289 Sky Hawk or a 16" electric thermastaticly controlled fan. The Stock shroud is on the 4 blade, and the attached picture shows what's on the electric.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 03-11-2017, 01:55 PM.

If you go with electric fans, take a look here before you buy.

They have a LOT going for them... Low amp draw, thin, light, long lasting brushless motor.

I've got two 12" on my 54 wagon. Nope, not running yet..!

As for your initial question, a bad electric fan will work about as well as a four blade fan. A properly designed electric fan will work a lot better than a mechanical fan. Another benefit, is much less wear and tear on the water pump bearings with an elect. fan.

Mike

Comment

My opinion and past experiences favor electric fan. If I could find an electric to fit on my Champ, that's what I'd have. Above 30 mph there's nuf ram air to cool engine. Was told years ago by a very reputable street rod rad builder, it take 12 to 18 horse power to turn a fan at speed. I have a 6 volt fan on my 50 Hudson and is efficient. Years ago I built street rods and always used electric fans. I'm no expert but much has been written about benefits of electric.
      Kim

Comment

Try the electric fan from a P.T. Cruiser. I have one on my '61 Hawk, it's almost a direct fit.- Jim

Comment

Personally, I would prefer to keep the car as close to stock-ish as possible. I changed my '63 Hawk to a 5 blade aluminum flex fan many years ago. It takes a ton of weight off the water pump bearing moves plenty of air at idle and slow speed and reduces the drag on the engine at higher speeds.

Comment

Coloradohawk, please expand on your lite weight fan experience, especially noise levels at speed. trying to quiet wife's 57 hawk. Thanks, Doofus

Comment

Have a stainless steel flexfan on my Hawk. Works well, no noise. Also 3 row radiator. No overheating. Need to go to machine shop with it to get the fan to fit the spacer.

Comment

On C/K models, I prefer to use the Studebaker optional five blade fan with a lot more pitch. It requires no modifications, other than changing the fan assembly and it is correct/stock.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have installed twin electric fans on my Hawk. Removed the stock fan - it can be retro'ed back at any time if you want to return to stock. Very pleased with the cooling capacity of the fans. I have manual control, and switch them on when stationary. Once the car is in motion they are unnecessary, even in Oz climate. Unfortunately it was purchased in 2014 so there is no record on ebay. However, it was similar to this on a polished aluminium mounting . It was less than $100, hunt around. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermo-El...oAAMXQuTNTNQ07

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                    Have a stainless steel flexfan on my Hawk. Works well, no noise. Also 3 row radiator. No overheating. Need to go to machine shop with it to get the fan to fit the spacer.
                    Used the same type of fan but bought a spacer with the right fit for the fan with the right dimensions to use some DOM tubing to make a bushing between the fan spacer and the Studebaker water pump. No modifications to any part, just a small ring to fit inside the rear inner of the spacer so it fit tight on the water pump. Can dig up part numbers and supply photos if required.

Len

Comment

JRLEMKE - Does the Cruiser fan go in front of the radiator, or behind it?...

Comment

It goes behind the radiator. I had to notch the shroud a little to clear the steering reach rod, otherwise it fit good. -Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                          It goes behind the radiator. I had to notch the shroud a little to clear the steering reach rod, otherwise it fit good. -Jim
                          Jim, were you able to use the Cruiser fan with your existing electrical system or did you upgrade your alternator. I'm asking only because some of the later fans are Amp hogs and need a fair amount of power. If the Cruiser fan works with the stock system it a great piece of advice for Hawk/GT owners.

Bob

Comment

In MY case, I'll be installing a new 94 Amp alternator, along with the PT Cruiser fan. I also have a 3 row aluminum radiator. I hope that between the two, that will be sufficient to cool my Stock 289...
                            Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 03-13-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I have a G.M. alternator, Delco 10SI. from Auto Zone , standard for most Chevies. I have two relays, one for high and one for low speeds. Manual operation for now. The fan is laid on its side and fits great. Like I said, I had to notch the shroud to clear the steering in the full forward position. I think I will need to notch it again when I add my P.S. arm. doesn't seem to affect the operation. watch how you mount it so you clear the fan itself with the notch. It's close but it fits. I also tried a dual fan from a late 90's to 2005 Buick Regal (Olds and Pontiac also) that fit fairly well. -Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X