Thread: Electric Fan vs. Stock 4 Blade Fan

Electric Fan vs. Stock 4 Blade Fan

I need advice on which is the better cooling of the 2 systems...the stock 4 bladed fan on my 289 Sky Hawk or a 16" electric thermastaticly controlled fan. The Stock shroud is on the 4 blade, and the attached picture shows what's on the electric.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 03-11-2017 at 03:55 PM.

President Member
    If you go with electric fans, take a look here before you buy.
    http://www.deltapag.com/Technology.html

They have a LOT going for them... Low amp draw, thin, light, long lasting brushless motor.

I've got two 12" on my 54 wagon. Nope, not running yet..!

As for your initial question, a bad electric fan will work about as well as a four blade fan. A properly designed electric fan will work a lot better than a mechanical fan. Another benefit, is much less wear and tear on the water pump bearings with an elect. fan.

Mike

President Member
    My opinion and past experiences favor electric fan. If I could find an electric to fit on my Champ, that's what I'd have. Above 30 mph there's nuf ram air to cool engine. Was told years ago by a very reputable street rod rad builder, it take 12 to 18 horse power to turn a fan at speed. I have a 6 volt fan on my 50 Hudson and is efficient. Years ago I built street rods and always used electric fans. I'm no expert but much has been written about benefits of electric.
    Kim

Speedster Member
    Try the electric fan from a P.T. Cruiser. I have one on my '61 Hawk, it's almost a direct fit.- Jim

Commander Member
    Personally, I would prefer to keep the car as close to stock-ish as possible. I changed my '63 Hawk to a 5 blade aluminum flex fan many years ago. It takes a ton of weight off the water pump bearing moves plenty of air at idle and slow speed and reduces the drag on the engine at higher speeds.

President Member
    Coloradohawk, please expand on your lite weight fan experience, especially noise levels at speed. trying to quiet wife's 57 hawk. Thanks, Doofus

Speedster Member
    Have a stainless steel flexfan on my Hawk. Works well, no noise. Also 3 row radiator. No overheating. Need to go to machine shop with it to get the fan to fit the spacer.

Golden Hawk Member
    On C/K models, I prefer to use the Studebaker optional five blade fan with a lot more pitch. It requires no modifications, other than changing the fan assembly and it is correct/stock.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I have installed twin electric fans on my Hawk. Removed the stock fan - it can be retro'ed back at any time if you want to return to stock. Very pleased with the cooling capacity of the fans. I have manual control, and switch them on when stationary. Once the car is in motion they are unnecessary, even in Oz climate. Unfortunately it was purchased in 2014 so there is no record on ebay. However, it was similar to this on a polished aluminium mounting . It was less than $100, hunt around. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermo-El...oAAMXQuTNTNQ07

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
    Have a stainless steel flexfan on my Hawk. Works well, no noise. Also 3 row radiator. No overheating. Need to go to machine shop with it to get the fan to fit the spacer.
    Used the same type of fan but bought a spacer with the right fit for the fan with the right dimensions to use some DOM tubing to make a bushing between the fan spacer and the Studebaker water pump. No modifications to any part, just a small ring to fit inside the rear inner of the spacer so it fit tight on the water pump. Can dig up part numbers and supply photos if required.

Len

JRLEMKE - Does the Cruiser fan go in front of the radiator, or behind it?...

Speedster Member
    It goes behind the radiator. I had to notch the shroud a little to clear the steering reach rod, otherwise it fit good. -Jim

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrlemke View Post
    It goes behind the radiator. I had to notch the shroud a little to clear the steering reach rod, otherwise it fit good. -Jim
    Jim, were you able to use the Cruiser fan with your existing electrical system or did you upgrade your alternator. I'm asking only because some of the later fans are Amp hogs and need a fair amount of power. If the Cruiser fan works with the stock system it a great piece of advice for Hawk/GT owners.

Bob
    , ,

In MY case, I'll be installing a new 94 Amp alternator, along with the PT Cruiser fan. I also have a 3 row aluminum radiator. I hope that between the two, that will be sufficient to cool my Stock 289...
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 03-13-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Speedster Member
    I have a G.M. alternator, Delco 10SI. from Auto Zone , standard for most Chevies. I have two relays, one for high and one for low speeds. Manual operation for now. The fan is laid on its side and fits great. Like I said, I had to notch the shroud to clear the steering in the full forward position. I think I will need to notch it again when I add my P.S. arm. doesn't seem to affect the operation. watch how you mount it so you clear the fan itself with the notch. It's close but it fits. I also tried a dual fan from a late 90's to 2005 Buick Regal (Olds and Pontiac also) that fit fairly well. -Jim

When I lived in the California desert I installed a 16" electric fan in front of the AC condenser on all Studes, and a 6-7 blade flex fan on the water pump. The electric fan was only needed when stuck sitting still and idling, for example in Palm Springs and stuck in traffic. Here in KY, I use 7-blade clutch fans for 1970s-80s Corvette on all Studes, and removed the electric fans long ago.

A clutch fan is a nice compromise, as it is only loud when first started up; after a few minutes the thermostatic control takes over, and regulates fan speed as needed.

I certainly have no problems with electric fans, they make a lot of sense for some. But I wouldn't recommend an aluminum flex fan for anyone doing real driving. I have built 2 cars that had overheating problems, the most recent my Studebaker. And getting rid of the flex fan for a "real" fan was a big part of the solution. At least in my experience, they are totally worthless.

"Here in KY, I use 7-blade clutch fans for 1970s-80s Corvette on all Studes, and removed the electric fans long ago."

Joe:
    Would you happen to have a part number or link handy for what you are using? Sounds like a good idea for my 61 Hawk with a 289.
    Thanks!

Commander Member
    With my aluminum flex fan I don't notice any noise difference from the original 5 blade steel fan with the clutch. Even in traffic stays right at 180 on the gauge. I haven't weighed it, but I'll bet it's at least 5 lbs lighter than the steel blades & clutch assembly

President Member
    Thanks Coloradohawk.my main concern is noise,std fan sits to far forward in shroud on Wifes 57 hawk and makes 747 like sounds at 65-70 mph and is annoying. lots of insulation in firewall and floor and will do hood underside next. odd thing is my 53 turbo coupe with 3in. side pipes and no muffs is quieter at speed,,, and coolerLOL. thanks for info. Doofus

Speedster Member
    For in-town, below 30 mph traffic, there is no stock fan that can move as much air as an electric fan. None. Even the HD 6-blade with a small diameter pulley "howler" setup won't move as much at idle. But if that's not the preponderance of your driving and/or you don't live in the stupid-hot regions of the south and don't have AC...don't sweat it too much.

You can normally make either setup work, but if you've got an early car with a small opening and an AC condensor that covers the entire radiator and you happen to live in the south, even the giant HD fan on a small pulley won't keep up in traffic.

I used to be adamantly against electric fans and insisted that a good flex fan would always move more air than any electric...and that's true at certain RPM above idle...but at those RPM, you're also moving (or should be) and there are now other factors at play, so at idle, what's most efficient? No mechanical setup can match a decent electric setup at idle.

The Taurus and Lincoln fans are good, but big (and pull a lot of amps) - they're two-speed through (one speed set on temperature and the other with AC or secondary temp sensor) and move a tonne (10% more than a regular ton ) of air while being relatively quiet for electric fans. I recommend the Dakota Digital controllers too - great product.
    -------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!