Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know the floor boards are bad when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know the floor boards are bad when...

... the dimmer switch is hanging onto the vehicle by only its electrical connection...

Looks like the Bronco did not fair as well as the Champ!

Deluxe Cab Parts, Spotlight, Grille and rear Step Bumper, too bad that's about all that MIGHT be savable.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or like a what happened to a friend of mine years ago...
      He had a ten year old Chevy Malibu wagon, and as his son got up off of the rear seat and stood up behind the drivers seat, he slowly began to sink into the floor. Upon examining the situation it was determined there wasn't any metal left in the floor there, just the jute and carpet.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

yea... the spotlight looks real good !

Comment

I had a Dodge Dart once that I was driving home on night and went to activate the high beams and kicked the dimmer switch through the floor
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

When my younger brother was in Hi School he recieved a 58 chevy del ray from an uncle. It had been my grandfathers car and was quite rusty. Neil loved it though and called it Maurice. Eventually the decision was taken to scrap it even though it was still a running driving car. He drove it over to the scrap yard and sold it to them. He decided to watch it be moved away from where he had parked it. The crane operator swung over that huge magnet and sucked onto the roof. He lifted and the body came right off the frame leaving the frame sitting there.

My brother is a sentimental guy and said at that time "I stifled a sob and turned away"...."Poor maurice!"
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
              ... the dimmer switch is hanging onto the vehicle by only its electrical connection...

A good illustration of the infamous 'Studebaker Stripe'!

Comment

t walgamuth, that had to be a sight to see!!

Comment

I would guess that the floor is rotted, but that can also happen when a replacement switch was not properly installed with lock nuts or Loctite. I've seen that happen.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                    Or like a what happened to a friend of mine years ago...
                    He had a ten year old Chevy Malibu wagon, and as his son got up off of the rear seat and stood up behind the drivers seat, he slowly began to sink into the floor. Upon examining the situation it was determined there wasn't any metal left in the floor there, just the jute and carpet.
                    Gee...this story kicked off a rather tragic memory for me. Growing up, I had a childhood neighbor friend who lived up the street from me. He had a much older sister, and being the only son, to was kinda spoiled. Not so bad if that was his only problem, but in addition, he seemed to have a bit of learning disability along with a very loud "bull in a china shop" personality. You never knew what he was going to loudly proclaim to anyone within ear shot! He was a year or two older than me, but younger than my oldest brother. One day, while he was riding, with us, through the mill village, in my brother's "sheriff's auctioned" bootlegger confiscated '48 Mercury, Billy had learned a bunch of new cuss words on the school playground. Embarrassingly, he decided to loudly shout them out at every one he saw as we drove by!My brother immediately drove Billy home and kicked him out.

A couple years later, we moved about fifty miles away, and I lost contact with Billy. Never heard of him again until watching the six o'clock news one evening. That was in late 1969(?) not long after I returned from Nam and started college. Apparently, Billy had gotten married had children, and had either a late '40's or early '50's Plymouth used car. He lost a child through a rusty/rotted floor while driving down the highway. Such tragedy I can't comprehend. I had put this out of my mind until you mentioned "he slowly began to sink into the floor." (in the above quote) If Billy were close to being "crazy" already, this might have pushed him over.

Mainly focused on Studebaker, we should all be reminded, dissolving floors were not unique to Studebaker.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Geeze I'm sorry John. Didn't mean to refresh unpleasant memories. The Malibu incident was funny to watch, and the car was parked.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

LOL. One winter night I drove my Grandma's '66 Marlin to a rock concert at the Richfield Coliseum (Cleveland). I kept my left foot over the rust hole between the high beam switch and kick panel so my date wouldn't freeze. My foot was numb.

I had to take my foot out to bend the shoe off the frozen slush accumulated. Her folks took pity on me and let me sleep over instead of the long drive home that night. SO WORTH IT!!
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                          Geeze I'm sorry John. Didn't mean to refresh unpleasant memories. The Malibu incident was funny to watch, and the car was parked.
                          That's OK, no harm or trauma, it is just one of those "life stories" we collect along the way. The longer we live, the more we encounter. Good or unpleasant. It is the unpleasant events that enable us to, by comparison, count our blessings. Last night, after a mad dash to the nursing home, in an effort to reassure my 96 year old mother, (distressed/depressed after finding out about the death of one of her sister-in-laws) I patted her forehead, and repeated to her, "as you fall asleep, do it counting your blessings, not your troubles."

I'm not sure if she remembers, it was a calm admonition given to me, and my siblings, as a toddler. In a few minutes, she was sleeping peacefully.

Back to the thread topic...Like Andy R.'s story in post #12, next time you are in any vehicle with a secure floor...count your blessings.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My Hawk was complete with a lot of air conditioning open window and air came from floor and out, you could see the ground through the floor , post not connected to floor, but with perseverance I got back to a fun car to drive, and now I have driven it 75,000 miles to club events. And I had to install real air conditioning.
                            Evan Severson

Comment

When I bought a 55 coupe in 68 it had a good tunnel and rockers. There was nothing in between. I made two floor pans (L & R) from 20 gage sheet metal in high school shop class. That was my winter beater through the rest of high school and a little after until it was wrecked.
                              james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                              X