Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Granatelli Avanti

President Member
    Story reminds me of the pristine 302 powered '77 Pinto wagon father/son project we put together for his High School ride back in the early 80's. Beautifully executed installation. Appeared 'factory' or better -if I do say so myself.
    Before son headed off to collage he sold it off to a local ...or perhaps I should say a loco. Guy stops by a few months latter, big hole hacked through the hood to clear a gigantic steaming truck radiator sticking up about a foot above the hood, installed he said 'to cure the 'overheating' problem. And it was still overheating.

Huh? What overheating problem???

Turned out the 302 had developed a head gasket leak that was allowing the escaping combustion gasses to over-pressurize the cooling system.
    A 50 gallon radiator would not have fixed that cooling problem.

Maybe something like this from a Jag, which would be era correct. Just the oval part of the grill. Jaguar.jpg

Banned
    I remember a 1964 Avanti advertised for sale in TURNING WHEELS and the AVANTI MAGAZINE several years ago. The owner had installed (of all things) a '48-'50 Packard center grille in the middle of that Avanti's nose panel!

It just doesn't work folks....a modification like that to the original 'pure' Avanti design, created by the Loewy team, is simply a bastardization of that design. (IMHO)

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    the original 'pure' Avanti design, created by the Loewy team, is simply a bastardization of that design. (IMHO)
    Agree the '63 is the pur sang. But then, Stude bastardized it with the '64 shiny square things stuck on the front. It was going to get even worse in '65, as they planned to go with quad headlights and use the Lark buckets turned upside down. I know, cause I've got the world's only '65 Avanti, done by George Barris to the original Raymond Loewy team drawings. Trust me, it's not an improvement over the '63. I'm still wondering why I bought it.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Agree the '63 is the pur sang. But then, Stude bastardized it with the '64 shiny square things stuck on the front. It was going to get even worse in '65, as they planned to go with quad headlights and use the Lark buckets turned upside down. I know, cause I've got the world's only '65 Avanti, done by George Barris to the original Raymond Loewy team drawings. Trust me, it's not an improvement over the '63. I'm still wondering why I bought it.

jack vines
    Because you're smart!....Odd looking or not, you own a very unique Avanti, and also a rather neglected part of Avanti history.

An article (with pics) should be done on this Studebaker Avanti!

Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
    Would love to see picture of that front.
    Last edited by ddub; 03-23-2017 at 12:08 AM.
    Don Wilson

63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    Would love to se picture of that front.

Yeah, I used to have a picture of that but it's not around any longer??!!

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)