No announcement yet.

Joe Granatelli Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not confuse the '64-67 Cadillac 429", which was the last iteration of the original 1949 design, with the later 472"-500"; a completely different design. And no, neither engine family had any inherent cooling problems.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
      Is that the swap pictured on an engine swap book cover? (Olds Big Block for an R4?)
      Bill
      Yes, that's the one!

Comment

In the summer of 1978 it was discovered by myself and my friend Rotten Ralph, who was driving our other friend's too-silent, 472-equipped '74 Eldorado coupe, that it would overheat within 20 minutes- IF run on the freeway at 70+ mph...accidentally in SECOND gear!!!

JSC
        p.s. R.B., the car's owner, was asleep in the back seat...

Comment

Joe's car was a red 64 with square head light covers. SN-60, Ray Cash worked for Herbert & Meek in 67. It was a Olds 455 industrial engine that was lnstalled in Bob Pattons car. Ray had sold his car a year or so earlier. I built the motor mounts for Joe's car in 66 and he sold it a year or two later. I have a few pics. of Joes car in the shop at Paxton, but they are in B&W, so you can't see the color.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Very interesting Avanti!...I wonder if the engine overheating issue was an internal engine problem, or that the radiator simply wasn't big enough to cool 429 (?) CI?
            Its funny that cooling issues can be related to so many things. Sometimes a fan is too small for the shroud opening. Or the blades are not positioned properly in the shroud opening. Or the shroud is not sealing well enough to allow all the air to flow through the radiator. Or the thermostat is wrong for the climate or engine temperament. Or the timing is off. Or the air is not flowing through the engine compartment, thus trapping too much heat. Sunbeam Tigers suffered this effect. And on and on and on. But it comes down to good water circulation and air flow.
            So many things can throw it off.
            sals54

Comment

But it comes down to good water circulation and air flow.
              For true. When it overheats, remove the hood and keep driving. If it cools down, it's lack of air flow. If it doesn't, it's water circulation or timing.

Or the air is not flowing through the engine compartment, thus trapping too much heat. Sunbeam Tigers suffered this effect.
              But then, I drove a Sunbeam Tiger for twenty years, first as box stock, then with a modified 302" and it never, ever overheated.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Neither did the Caddy in Joe's car. I even commented to him about the fan shroud being modified and cracked with a big hunk out of the top left hand side near the radiator hose.

Comment

I knew I recently saw something about this car. I am a newsletter judge and it was for sale in several issues of the Hubcap of the heart of Ohio chapter. It was last in the Jan-feb so unsure if it sold. Owner was listed as Steve Kolish 847-848-7013. Asking $12,900
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Steve was just the helping sell the car for the owner who has serious health issues. The car was sold.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Neither did the Caddy in Joe's car. I even commented to him about the fan shroud being modified and cracked with a big hunk out of the top left hand side near the radiator hose.
                      I kinda got the impression from the owner in the mid 1980s, the car had always ran hot, for as long as anyone could remember. If it ran cool when Joe did the conversion, I wonder what happened to it, as the conversion woulda only been around 20 years old at that time. Kinda early for the block to fill up with sludge, or the radiator become clogged with crap. Pretty sure the radiator was one of the many things that had been done in attempt to cool it down. Maybe someone who has actually driven the car in the past 30 years will chime in here eventually.

Comment

The past owner drove it from California via Phoenix to Illinois. I know who has the car but prefer not to put it on the forum.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                          The past owner drove it from California via Phoenix to Illinois. I know who has the car but prefer not to put it on the forum.

Denny L
                          If he made the trip between April and November is sounds like the cooling problem was solved. Maybe the car will turn up at an SDC Meet someday. It has a unique place in Stude history. Particularly Avanti history. OTOH, if he made the trip between December and March, the car might still have the heating problem.
                          Last edited by JoeHall; 03-15-2017, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2195 (002).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1712911 Henry Mann is a member of our local Delaware Valley Studebaker Chapter in Pa. He is the owner and is in the process of restoring it. Knowing Henry, he will spare no expense to do this car justice. This picture is from 4 or 5 months ago. He has a very large car collection, including several Studebakers.
                            Larry Y
                            North Wales, PA

Comment

Originally posted by larryyano View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]62862[/ATTACH] Henry Mann is a member of our local Delaware Valley Studebaker Chapter in Pa. He is the owner and is in the process of restoring it. Knowing Henry, he will spare no expense to do this car justice. This picture is from 4 or 5 months ago. He has a very large car collection, including several Studebakers.
                              Wow! Hopefully he will repaint the same red Joe G. had it painted, back in the day. Also, hopefully he will get rid of those goofy looking, later style Ricarro seats. I look forward to seeing it again someday.

Comment

I'll be looking forward to seeing the Granatelli car restored. A year ago, I and several other members of the Chicagoland Avanti Owners Association helped dig the car along with 10 or 12 other Avantis of various ages out of a storage shed in Northern IL. Our club president had some health issues and it was decided to "thin the herd" of his Avanti and other cars collection. The car needed all 4 tires pumped up to roll out of the shed as did just about every other car taken out. Under the dirt, dust, mouse nesting materials, walnut shells and other assorted debris, one could tell it was a special car. It has some interesting modifications including an alarm system, battery relocated to the trunk, extra gauges, a straight up and down (Not on a slant) mounting of the radiator and that big 429 taking up the entire engine bay. At one time the paint was great looking with pin striping but it was peeling off around the cowl area. It is a significant car and I'm sure it will be great looking again after the restoration. There are some of those barn find Avantis still for sale, contact Steve Kolish who's information was listed above on this thread.
                                sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                                X