Joe Granatelli Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
    I'll be looking forward to seeing the Granatelli car restored. A year ago, I and several other members of the Chicagoland Avanti Owners Association helped dig the car along with 10 or 12 other Avantis of various ages out of a storage shed in Northern IL. Our club president had some health issues and it was decided to "thin the herd" of his Avanti and other cars collection. The car needed all 4 tires pumped up to roll out of the shed as did just about every other car taken out. Under the dirt, dust, mouse nesting materials, walnut shells and other assorted debris, one could tell it was a special car. It has some interesting modifications including an alarm system, battery relocated to the trunk, extra gauges, a straight up and down (Not on a slant) mounting of the radiator and that big 429 taking up the entire engine bay. At one time the paint was great looking with pin striping but it was peeling off around the cowl area. It is a significant car and I'm sure it will be great looking again after the restoration. There are some of those barn find Avantis still for sale, contact Steve Kolish who's information was listed above on this thread.
    Thanks for the info. I too, kinda felt like I was in the presence of something special when I spent a couple hours looking that car over, about 30 years ago. I recall the radiator, and its position as one of several things the owner mentioned as an attempt to cool it down. I got the impression it had ran hot as long as anyone could recall, even then. IN revealing that to me, the owner killed any potential of sale to me, but I thanked him for his honesty. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
      I'll be looking forward to seeing the Granatelli car restored. A year ago, I and several other members of the Chicagoland Avanti Owners Association helped dig the car along with 10 or 12 other Avantis of various ages out of a storage shed in Northern IL. Our club president had some health issues and it was decided to "thin the herd" of his Avanti and other cars collection. The car needed all 4 tires pumped up to roll out of the shed as did just about every other car taken out. Under the dirt, dust, mouse nesting materials, walnut shells and other assorted debris, one could tell it was a special car. It has some interesting modifications including an alarm system, battery relocated to the trunk, extra gauges, a straight up and down (Not on a slant) mounting of the radiator and that big 429 taking up the entire engine bay. At one time the paint was great looking with pin striping but it was peeling off around the cowl area. It is a significant car and I'm sure it will be great looking again after the restoration. There are some of those barn find Avantis still for sale, contact Steve Kolish who's information was listed above on this thread.
      '87-'89 Avantis also had the radiator mounted straight up and down (non-slanted), although with the Chev 305 I doubt that there's a clearance issue?

And mounting the battery in the trunk has always been a good idea on '63-'85 Avantis, for various reasons.

Comment

Joe was the one who sold me the R-3 rear end that I put in my first 54 back about 1970. He had a whole rack of rears ends for sale. He told me that instead of changing gears in the field for the Bonneville runs, they just changed rear ends. All of them were shiny and black except one that was rusty. It also was the cheapest. I asked why it was rusty and he said it was the one that they used in the 171 MPH runs. I took that one. The gears were 2:71 as I remember. The brakes were in great shape. So I just changed the gears to 3:54, painted it up and installed it.

Comment

When I looked at he car before it was sold a few years ago, I was impressed with the engine installation. It looked engineered properly like a factory type installation. I am sure any heat issues could be resolved if the engine is in good tune and running properly. Glad it is being restored. Joe sold me my R3 in 1969.
          james r pepper

Comment

I wonder why Joe G. chose this particular Avanti to modify, and what was under the hood BEFORE the Caddy install?

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
              When I looked at he car before it was sold a few years ago, I was impressed with the engine installation. It looked engineered properly like a factory type installation. I am sure any heat issues could be resolved if the engine is in good tune and running properly. Glad it is being restored. Joe sold me my R3 in 1969.
              Agree it could be cooed down, if needed. For starters, If I were lucky enough to own it, I'd install a 56-61 Hawk grill, shortened to fit the Avanti front nose. That grill would insure plenty of air gets to the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                Agree it could be cooed down, if needed. For starters, If I were lucky enough to own it, I'd install a 56-61 Hawk grill, shortened to fit the Avanti front nose. That grill would insure plenty of air gets to the radiator.
                Joe, are you off of your meds again???

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  Joe, are you off of your meds again???
                  It would definitely get more air to the radiator that way, plus add a little bling to the rather plain Jane looking nose. Yes? No?

Comment

Don't know about others experiences but between the wife and I, we have owned 7 big block Caddy's. (still have engines and trans salvaged out of 3 of 'em, 390, 425, and 500.) Never once had any overheating problems with any of 'em.
                    I suspect something is hinkey, either with the installation, or with coolant circulation. I'd be closely examining the water pump's internal clearances as it is not unknown to get new or remanufactured or offshore manufactured replacement 'copies' with out of spec/mismatched components and/or excessive internal clearances.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      It would definitely get more air to the radiator that way, plus add a little bling to the rather plain Jane looking nose. Yes? No?
                      Yes & No,.......I agree that it would definitely get more air that way.....however, I think I'd rather have an Avanti OVERHEAT than to do something like that to it!

Comment

Story reminds me of the pristine 302 powered '77 Pinto wagon father/son project we put together for his High School ride back in the early 80's. Beautifully executed installation. Appeared 'factory' or better -if I do say so myself.
                        Before son headed off to collage he sold it off to a local ...or perhaps I should say a loco. Guy stops by a few months latter, big hole hacked through the hood to clear a gigantic steaming truck radiator sticking up about a foot above the hood, installed he said 'to cure the 'overheating' problem. And it was still overheating.

Huh? What overheating problem???

Turned out the 302 had developed a head gasket leak that was allowing the escaping combustion gasses to over-pressurize the cooling system.
                        A 50 gallon radiator would not have fixed that cooling problem.

Comment

Maybe something like this from a Jag, which would be era correct. Just the oval part of the grill. Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaguar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1712969

Comment

I remember a 1964 Avanti advertised for sale in TURNING WHEELS and the AVANTI MAGAZINE several years ago. The owner had installed (of all things) a '48-'50 Packard center grille in the middle of that Avanti's nose panel!

It just doesn't work folks....a modification like that to the original 'pure' Avanti design, created by the Loewy team, is simply a bastardization of that design. (IMHO)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              the original 'pure' Avanti design, created by the Loewy team, is simply a bastardization of that design. (IMHO)
                              Agree the '63 is the pur sang. But then, Stude bastardized it with the '64 shiny square things stuck on the front. It was going to get even worse in '65, as they planned to go with quad headlights and use the Lark buckets turned upside down. I know, cause I've got the world's only '65 Avanti, done by George Barris to the original Raymond Loewy team drawings. Trust me, it's not an improvement over the '63. I'm still wondering why I bought it.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                                Agree the '63 is the pur sang. But then, Stude bastardized it with the '64 shiny square things stuck on the front. It was going to get even worse in '65, as they planned to go with quad headlights and use the Lark buckets turned upside down. I know, cause I've got the world's only '65 Avanti, done by George Barris to the original Raymond Loewy team drawings. Trust me, it's not an improvement over the '63. I'm still wondering why I bought it.

jack vines
                                Because you're smart!....Odd looking or not, you own a very unique Avanti, and also a rather neglected part of Avanti history.

An article (with pics) should be done on this Studebaker Avanti!

Comment

Working...
                                X