Thread: 63 Mercury House Car.

President Member

63 Mercury House Car.

Thought you all would get a kick out of this. Not mine, but sure is different.http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/6028990983.html

President Member
    ....Oh my!....

Be the only person on your block to own one!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

I test drove a 52 Caddy camper similar to that once. It felt very tall. This one looks like something a fellow could have a lot of fun with for not too much money.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Speedster Member
    That might be a handful and a half in a crosswind, or when meeting a truck or bus.
    Bill Jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I test drove a 52 Caddy camper similar to that once. It felt very tall. This one looks like something a fellow could have a lot of fun with for not too much money.
    There was a guy here when I was a kid that built several campers using mid 50s Cadillac hearses. They were a bit neater that the Mercury.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

I had a friend that offered me his 1963 Ponatic convertible that had a slid in camper in the trunk. Full size camper, but I just could not do it. I took the 62 Plymouth Belevedere slant 6 instead. Just married, headed to the USAF stationed in ND. The convertible just did not make sense.

Mark

A family named VanBibbers from Indy did conversions of fifties hearses and sold them as new conversions in the sixties in Indianapolis. They called them "The cadillac of campers" IIRC. I saw a few around.

One I mentioned above I test drove over in Marion In. I used to see them from time to time traveling with the carnival at the county fairs.

There also used to be one in a little town north of Crawfordsvile... Parkersburg... built on an Edsel chassis. I saw it there for perhaps as many as 20 years but it disappeared from that place about 5 years ago.

Last few times I went past there they had a Crosley station wagon sitting near where the Edsel had been. Its a little concrete block building built as an auto repair....now perhaps just a storage building for someone.

I've always had a fascination with the commercial chassis caddies and similar vehicles....so heavy duty and often with low miles.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.