No announcement yet.

Overdrive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove the fuse on the O/D relay if it has one and try it. Points may be stuck closed for one reason or another. Maybe welded together or ground on terminal going to governor circuit wiring which includes kickdown switch.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
      everybody re-read #8
      Why?
      I can't see where most of us missed anything.
      His solenoid is being energized before the governor sends the signal, so it seems to have stuck relay contacts or a grounded wire.

Comment

I stand corrected, you are correct I was talking when I should have been listening.

Comment

I cleaned the contacts on the OD relay and checked each wire for grounding . When the ignition is turned on the SOL contact or tab on the OD relay becomes energized without pulling in the coil on the OD relay

Comment

Remove the solenoid wire from the solenoid terminal and turn the ignition on. If the solenoid remains disengaged and there is 6 volts on the sol terminal of relay it sure looks like a shorted O/D relay.

Comment

My first overdrive that installed in my 53, the solonid shaft would stick in the over drive position .It was not electrical because I had it hot wired with a switch no relay no governor.I turned the od on and the plunger stuck. I parked against a curb and could not back up had to climb a curb to turn around. Drove over a hundred miles before it came unstuck never put it back in od swapped out the tran.
              Hawkowner

Comment

Is this a problem that just started, or is this a new car to you in which someone might have wired it wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  Is this a problem that just started, or is this a new car to you in which someone might have wired it wrong?

TW I believe we're thinking along the same line, that's why I asked to have the wire removed from the sol relay terminal and turn the ignition on. If the voltage he was getting disappears it would point to a back feed from something out of the ordinary like a wiring screw up. If it remains something is amiss with the relay.

Comment

Winner winner chicken dinner! That confirmed the relay is amok and have one in route . The relay was replaced 7 yrs ago .It isn't the same quality of the original OEM. Thanks for your help

Comment

Good Job everyone, it sounds like it is as good as fixed!

Overdrive users also should note that it is not necessary to Disengage Overdrive to Park, but ALWAYS get in the habit of Parking in REVERSE gear to prevent the Car from rolling away, in case you do not use the parking Brake or it is out of adjustment, disconnected, loose or fails.

This way, it does not matter if you leave the O.D. Handle in or out, the car will not roll easily.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Relay is installed and all is well

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X