wheel cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: wheel cylinders

Is there anyone resleeveing the rear wheel cylinders on the disc brake cars with stainless. sleeve's

White Post Restorations does them.

Skip Lackie

Comment

Probably as cheap to replace them with new.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rock Auto carries them for cheap

Comment

While they are still available new--why sleeve old ones. Much more cost effective. The stainless only fixes the seal surface anyway, the rest still rusts from moisture, flush them once a year, replace the fluid and the old cast iron lasts just as long. When we run out of new ones-then we'll need to sleeve what's left. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
            Rock Auto carries them for cheap
            I doubt you would get the CORRECT Rear Wheel Cylinders for Front Disc. Brakes, THERE! Just a lot of hassle, wasted time and return shipping.

REFERENCE INFO:

DORMAN W19237 {#535583, 5463000} Info
            Front; Bore: 1 In.; Except Heavy Duty Brakes

$13.23
            DORMAN W19236 {#535585, 5463015} Info
            Front; Bore: 1.0625 In.; Heavy Duty Brakes

$17.13
            WAGNER WC19236 {#F19236} Info
            Front; 1-1/16" Bore

$22.79
            WAGNER WC40963 {#F40963} Info
            Rear; 7/8" Bore

$22.79
            DORMAN W15306 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Info
            Rear; Bore: 1.375 In.

EVERY ONE OF THESE ARE WRONG for your Disc Brake application!
            The last one fits NO Studebaker!
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know the rear cylinders are 3/4" on the disc brake car but if that 7/8 wagner would fit at the upper brake shoe I could use those. Most are set up to use a pin to push the brake shoe out and the studebaker use the shoe itself. The rest of the brake system will be changed out and adjustable valves added to the system so size could be adjusted out. Will have to check with wagner or have my local parts guy order a couple and if not right he would just return them.

Comment

Yeah StudeRich, every site from every supplier-including NAPA has it wrong. They used to have it right 5 years ago. Suddenly Avanti's have 10" rear brakes and 7/8" wheel cylinder. Even speed shops that existed in the 60s-like Speedway, now have Studebakers with Ford engine parts listed. The end is near!!!!
                Many sites don't even show Studebaker in the drop down lists anymore.
                Last edited by karterfred88; 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

S.I. lists them

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    I know the rear cylinders are 3/4" on the disc brake car but if that 7/8 wagner would fit at the upper brake shoe I could use those. Most are set up to use a pin to push the brake shoe out and the studebaker use the shoe itself. The rest of the brake system will be changed out and adjustable valves added to the system so size could be adjusted out. Will have to check with wagner or have my local parts guy order a couple and if not right he would just return them.
                    These standard 4 wheel Drum Brake Wheel Cylinders also use push "Pins" like many other makes, so the Pistons are wrong for a Eccentric Adjusted Rear Brake Shoe for Front Discs.
                    So the difference is WAY more than just bore size, the mounting screws and Brake Line fitting holes are also wrong, so it will not fit the backing plate.
                    It is just a "NO WAY" situation.

When you get Stude. Parts here ordered by Original Studebaker Part Number, they FIT!:
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It was cheaper to sleeve mine than buy new. And I know what country they are from.
                      '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Rather than sleeving, bore the cylinders to 13/16" and buy the 13/16" pistons, cups and boots from Wagner. These work well on an Avanti with Turner front disk conversion.

Comment

I don't have a issue with studebakervendors only parts but when they charge $90 for what should be a $30-$40 wheel cylinder thats kind of grabbing the golden goose by the short hairs.

Comment

I went on Dormans site and they show the 63-64 hawks and up to 71 Avanti repair kits being the same as some older jeeps cj's and 83-83 Mazda b2300's. So i went to rockauto and they show for the Mazda B2300 wheel cylinder repair kits as $1.33 and they had a closeout on some wheel cylinders that look like maybe they could be reworked to fit at $3.58 each.I ordered a set plus the repair kits and if they won't work I'am only out $12.00 with shipping.It does show that they are 3/4" and look to be where the brake shoe rides against them. They bolt on different but think I can change that. Will let you know what happens when they get here. Hopefully there is another option out there for the disc brake cars.

Comment

I got the new repair kits and wheel cylinders today. Kits are made in the USA and the cylinders from Japan. Which I will take over China any day. Looks like the new cylinder will work only thing I will have to make a template and drill a hole across from the upper one that is there and maybe seal where it fit to the backing plate as the center is cut just a little smaller. The shoe's fit into it just fine and size look real close. On the repair kits I will need to reuse the pistons but think you do on all kits. May have to trim a little off the back side of the dust seal as it looks to go in a little deeper but that should be easy. The spring looks a little heavier but that is a good thing.Going to try to rebuild what I have and then decide which way I want to go when the new brake shoes get here next week.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X