Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible original "Bullitt" car found in Mexico...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible original "Bullitt" car found in Mexico...

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Wow!!! In other news... 50 years since Bullitt? I am old.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I am recuperating from the left hip replacement today. I just finished watching my Bullitt dvd.

The movie is striking in its attention to authentic detail.

The typical street scenes are fun, showing all the cars that were common back then.

Watching a film shot today about 1968 would feature a lot of cars of the correct year etc. but would lack the correct proportion of cars which nobody has saved.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Neat, I saw this a couple of days back but it was called unconfirmed. Apparently Marti in now involved and it appears to be the real thing. All I seem to be able to find is Avanti's with missing hog troughs and mold growth. Not much retirement gold in them.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Wonder if it still wheel hops in reverse and has a 5 speed in it.
          Must have been a 5 speed if you count the number of times he double clutches and shifts during the chase scene.
          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
            Must have been a 5 speed if you count the number of times he double clutches and shifts during the chase scene.
            Try counting how many hubcaps come off the Charger while your at it. It's more than four, I have forgotten how many though. Note, some didn't come off either. My cousin really needed this feature when he first got his driver's license.

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
              Try counting how many hubcaps come off the Charger while your at it. It's more than four, I have forgotten how many though. Note, some didn't come off either. My cousin really needed this feature when he first got his driver's license.
              I believe the commonly accepted count was 6 wheel covers. I wish the MOPARS I have had that feature. And as many times as I have researched order forms from back in the day, I've yet to see that option, self replacing wheel covers, listed.
              Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                The double-clutch shifting and exhaust sounds may have been added later. The wheel hop looks right for a solid axle Mustang.
                Last edited by jnormanh; 03-09-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                  The double-clutch shifting and exhaust sounds may have been added later.
                  I read somewhere they came from a GT40.
                  sigpic

Comment

Today I find it hard to believe Bullitt could be shot in SF without hundreds of people hanging out their windows, I Phones in hands ruining the shots. Back then they were probably just PO-ed because they were awoken too early and wanted nothing more than to stay in bed.

While I realize I'm are talking about different Mopar hubcaps (dog dish cop car caps with the drilled holes) those currently sell for right around $300 a set if pristine. So, yea, if they had inverted the self replacing cap ... . The good news is that there are CAMO's (like CASO's) who buy the dinged and dented ones for $5 ea. and hammer them to acceptability.
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
                      I read somewhere they came from a GT40.
                      Certainly could be. Doesn't sound like any factory Mustang I ever saw.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post

The typical street scenes are fun, showing all the cars that were common back then.

Watching a film shot today about 1968 would feature a lot of cars of the correct year etc. but would lack the correct proportion of cars which nobody has saved.
                        Many movies and made for TV movies get cars from local clubs. In the movie "tough guys" from 1988 or so, every car in the entire movie is a Model A Ford. Model A's were popular cars, but Sheesh! Every single car??
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Maybe hired the local Model A club to provide cars.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That Mustang had a pretty special windshield which stopped a load of OO buck. It real life OO would have punched right through and Stevie would be dead.

Fired from 20" barrel length with Skeet I choke at 10 feet distance. Federal 2 3/4" Power-Shok 9-pellet 00 buckshot.Check out more at:Website - http://www.B...

Comment

Working...
                            X