Going to the Dyno shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Going to the Dyno shop

The engine rebuild process is just about complete on the 289 in my '62 GT Hawk. It was rebuilt keeping it stock with .030" over on the cylinders, WCFB and Petronix in a Delco distributor. It is my understanding when on the dyno the generator or power steering pump will not be installed. The factory exhaust manifold will be installed. What type of torque and horsepower numbers could I expect - let the guessing begin!

By the way, the whole rebuild adventure can be viewed on YouTube - Pete's Garage (Engine rebuilding).
    Peter Bishop

I am afraid to guess, but will be VERY interested in what the actual numbers turn out to be!

Comment

Hopefully the 225 advertised hp.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I guess it depends on how Studebaker arrived at the 225. With a 3:31 rear end, am I more interested in the torque number?
        Peter Bishop

Comment

Rear wheel dyno? Auto or stick? I would say about 160 HP.

Comment

Engine will be out of the car and run on a dyno stand.
            Peter Bishop

Comment

How much work is the guy running the dyno willing to do? Carb jetting and timing or are you just put the motor on and run it?

Comment

I will let you know!
                Peter Bishop

Comment

Peter -

Most defiantly...spend the extra few minutes optimizing the engine. You are at the place to do this. The jetting and ignition timing, verify the valve adjustment after the first or second pull.
                  It'll take minutes now, hours on the road to optimize everything.

Mike

Comment

One thing to keep in mind; carb jetting which makes most power on the dyno won't necessarily be the best on the road when running an air filter breathing hot underhood air and exhausting through mufflers.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

A VERY good point Jack, these Engine Stand Dyno tests are not anywhere near to real world H.P. and Torque as Running the CAR on a Dyno at the Rear Wheels or the H.P. you actually GET on the Interstate.

It will give us a good idea of how close it comes to Studebaker's 225 "Advertised" H.P. and 305 Ft. Lbs. rating though.

I am going with 230 H.P. and 310 Ft. Lbs. ! Are you going to run it with 92 Octane Premium, no E-10 Unleaded?
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-05-2017, 03:26 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hopefully a video will follow soon. The gasoline question is a great point. Once the car is on the road, maybe I will take it for another Dyno - a rolling Dyno. We can compare the readings.
                        Peter Bishop

Comment

Why would you run premium fuel ? It won't make any more power. It certainly shouldn't ping or detonate with stock compression with regular fuel. You might even LOOSE torque, and HP by the slower burning fuel. The only Studebakers that NEED premium are the Avanti engined ones, or 56J Packard and the 57-8 Golden Hawks.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

First run was aborted, needs carb tuning!
                            Peter Bishop

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
                              First run was aborted, needs carb tuning!
                              What was the carb doing/not doing?

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X