Thread: new york hotels

Speedster Member

new york hotels

hello all , i will be travelling on to new york for a short visit after south bend , any ideas what are some reasonable hotels to stay in for 3 or so days and what area to stay in , give me your opinions , i looked on some travel sites and some of the hotel reviews are not good , i only want a bed and a shower for the night , not much else matters , thanks from roger,
    R.A.Jennings

To really experience the city, something in Manhattan would be your best bet - but expect to pay $300+ a night... There is always AirBnB...

President Member
    I agree that Manhattan would be a good choice, somewhere near Grand Central Terminal (Station) on 42nd Street. My wife and I were there a few weeks ago and I think the hotel was in the $240 range plus taxes. It sounds like a lot, but if you shop around on-line you might come up with something less in that general area.

From Grand Central it's not far to Times Square, the UN, Saint Paul's Cathedral (just restored and a must see), The Empire State Building and a healthy walk or subway ride to Central Park, the Metropolitan and Natural History Museums (try to avoid these on the weekends as they become crowded with families and kids). It's also not far via the subway (under $3 per trip) to the Brooklyn Bridge, China Town, the World Trade Center memorial, Wall Street and the only free thing in NYC, the Staten Island Ferry. The ferry is a great ride, it goes by Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty and gives a panoramic view of the harbor and the Manhattan skyline, just hop off at Staten Island and get right back on. Be sure to go to the back or the front of the boat for the best open air viewing.

On the western side of Manhattan is the Skyline pedestrian walkway built on an abandoned elevated rail line (okay, the other free thing in NYC)).

Also keep in mind parking at most hotels will run you $40 +/- per night's stay, you might want to look into taking the commuter train into the city. The off-peak rates are reasonable and parking your car at a train station will be half (or less) of what you'll pay in the city. As I recall trains from Beacon, NY will take you down the Hudson River Line, which is more scenic and enjoyable than driving into Manhattan. Just be careful, to be sure the commuter line you choose, puts you near your hotel, as some trains go to Grand Central Station while others go to Penn Station and you don't want to be towing your suitcase 14 blocks.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by dpson; 03-05-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

President Member
    New York is a big state. But like the others I'll assume you mean the City of NY. As others have stated you are probably looking at a $250-$300 per night for a room and the $40-ish a night parking. I never tried driving New York City but I know those who have and they say it is a night mare. Traffic, pedestrians, one way streets, virtually no where to park and if you do you $pay$. It can very easily be $15-$20 an hour at some locations if you are not at the 24 hour rate.

In 2005 we stayed across the Hudson in Jersey City. The Hyatt was literally built out into the river. Right across the street was the train that went under the river and dropped us off at the World Trade Center. Might I add in 2005 it was just a hole in the ground and I did not know the exit destination. Thus it was quite a shock to walk up out of the hole where the towers once stood. I believe the room was about $160 and the best part was rather than being buried in the canyons of NYC buildings the view across the Hudson was the captivating skyline of New York City. I think parking (a block away) was about $20 a day.

So, I would not advise driving in NYC. Plan your time there and study up on the public transportation.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Look U.S.Pacific Hotel in Chinatown with Booking.com (today 77 Euro)
    Walter

80 Fiat Spider
    63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015/12
    60 Hawk sold 2017/03 to England
    56 Golden Hawk
    56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
    68 Volvo P1800S

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Go to Trivago.com

Use the filter on the left side of the screen. Put in your minimum acceptable star level, your maximum price range and checked off free Wi-Fi, breakfast, and pets to see what would come up and it returned two hotels:

- Fairfield Inn and Suites New York - 3-1/2 miles from Manhattan. The same room is listed on Amoma at $275 a night and on the hotel's own website and Priceline.com as $116 a night. It's rated three stars out of five and got an overall good rating average by former customers.
    - Hampton Inn, Manhattan - 4 miles to Manhattan. The same room is listed on Hotel Quickly at $142., Elvoline $134., and Priceline.com at $109. It's rated three stars out of five and got an overall excellent rating average from former customers.

Looking for something else but under $200 a night and a little closer, I found the Renaissance New York - .9 miles from Times Square. The Trivago site shows it at $169 a night, but when I clicked the forward to booking arrow I found on the hotel's Marriot Members Rewards rate of $138 a night with advance purchase for a cozy room, guest room, or 1 bed double. If you are not a member you can sign up to be a member when you book the room and get the member rate - it doesn't cost anything to join. Non-member rates for various other rooms are $141., $150., $160., and $275 for a Junior suite with 1 King and a sofa bed. It's rated four stars out of five and got an overall very good rating from former clientele. This is a pretty good deal for a room that's a 15 minute walk to Times Square and a ten minute walk from Central Park. Room details here: http://www.marriott.com/reservation/rateListMenu.mi

The Trivago site is amazing. Just tell them what you want to pay, what features you want, how close you want to be to whatever part of town you want to visit (I'd plugged in Manhattan), tell them the minimum star rating and clientele rating and it compares prices from all hotels within the radius and then pulls up the ones that fit all of your criteria, as well as others that might be a little more expensive but meet your amenity criteria. Then it shows the prices at various sites. So, if Priceline has the room cheaper than the hotel's own website, you go to Priceline and book it. If it is cheaper on hotelsclick.com, you just book it through that site. If you want to drill a little deeper you can click on reviews for the one you are looking at and it will pull up everything good or bad that's been said about the place.

For instance, I found one hotel/hostel within a couple of miles of downtown Manhattan that was less than 150 a night. When I checked the reviews I discovered that as many as twelve different guest "rooms" share one bathroom, that the place was crawling with vermin and cockroaches, that the mattresses and sheets were stained with substances unknown and that when a guest complained about a broken fan in a wall heater that made so much noise that he couldn't sleep they neither sent up someone to repair the heater or provided him another room with a good heater. The guy said the place was a nightmare - yet looking at it's website it looked and sounded very nice.

When I was a teenager, I once spent two nights at The Commodore which was way downtown on 42nd and Lexington. It was a nice old hotel, clean and comfortable but kind of dated. I googled it tonight and was surprised to learn that it's now a Hyatt Hotel and was The Donald's first big project in Manhattan - he'd torn off the fa├žade, updated it and redid it inside. Cheapest room price on Trivago - $845 a night.
    Last edited by hausdok; 03-06-2017 at 05:06 AM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

President Member
    I would first try Trivago for a hotel in mid-town Manhattan. You might be able to secure a decent rate at a good hotel.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Speedster Member
    hello all , thanks for your help in finding a room , i will go through the trivago site , cheers from roger
    R.A.Jennings