Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

51 Land Cruiser engine and accessories color (s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 51 Land Cruiser engine and accessories color (s)

What color is the engine, intake manifold, etc on the 51 Land Cruiser?

The engine block, heads, intake, bellhousing, transmission, etc are all green. Most all of the ancillary stuff is black.

Comment

Sort of like this; with a couple of exceptions. To the best of my knowledge, Studebaker never used red heater hoses; and in this picture the intake hold-down clamps are black. They should also be green. The oil filter canister could have been either orange or black, depending on if it was factory or dealer installed.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240008.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1712754
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Same green as the 57 259 or more olive?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
          Same green as the 57 259 or more olive?
          The 57 was turquoise. 51s were olive. Just like the picture Brad posted.

Comment

I used Detroit Diesel green in a rattle can for the 57, any suggestions for the olive?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
              I used Detroit Diesel green in a rattle can for the 57, any suggestions for the olive?
              Studebaker International #800254, Green - 1954 and earlier. 12 oz. aerosol can, $13.75 per can. Page 180 in current catalog.

Comment

Here is original olive green paint on my neighbor's nice unrestored 1950 Champion, and this is the same green that's on my 1952 Land Cruiser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	1712755

Comment

I bought the rattle can from Napa that matched my 57 that's why I asked for references for the 51, SI's prices are steep especially after adding shipping.

Comment

I spend a lot with SI, get all my parts there except lubricants and soap. Lighten up. I'm not a wealthy man prone to spend triple for something, that's just plain stupid. I also automatically send my carbs and fuel pumps to Dave Tebo for reconditioning even though I have the ability to do them myself. I keep all my cars completely stock.
                    Last edited by tim333; 03-04-2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Usually, you only get ONE chance to get it right while the Engine is out and or Disassembled to Paint it, so I would not go with the Wrong Color, better to wait for next Month's Income check to do it right if necessary.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The first time I was at Newman Altman was in 1971, when I got out of the Army. I bought some parts, and was told the reason for the olive drab engine color was that Studebaker had a lot of paint left over from war production. Can anyone else confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          The first time I was at Newman Altman was in 1971, when I got out of the Army. I bought some parts, and was told the reason for the olive drab engine color was that Studebaker had a lot of paint left over from war production. Can anyone else confirm this?
                          A South Bend urban legend. Stude was painting engines green from 1928 - 1954; many years before WWII.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Here is a '51 Commander 232; I used the enamel from S.I. Click image for larger version

Name:	pix 1117.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1712776

Comment

Thanks for that picture. That is a beautiful engine compartment, and the green looks perfect. I hope SI has some in stock when I return this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X