Thread: 51 Land Cruiser engine and accessories color (s)

President Member

51 Land Cruiser engine and accessories color (s)

What color is the engine, intake manifold, etc on the 51 Land Cruiser?

Golden Hawk Member
    The engine block, heads, intake, bellhousing, transmission, etc are all green. Most all of the ancillary stuff is black.

Sort of like this; with a couple of exceptions. To the best of my knowledge, Studebaker never used red heater hoses; and in this picture the intake hold-down clamps are black. They should also be green. The oil filter canister could have been either orange or black, depending on if it was factory or dealer installed.
    P4240008.jpg

President Member
    Same green as the 57 259 or more olive?

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    Same green as the 57 259 or more olive?
    The 57 was turquoise. 51s were olive. Just like the picture Brad posted.

President Member
    I used Detroit Diesel green in a rattle can for the 57, any suggestions for the olive?

President Member
    I used Detroit Diesel green in a rattle can for the 57, any suggestions for the olive?
    Studebaker International #800254, Green - 1954 and earlier. 12 oz. aerosol can, $13.75 per can. Page 180 in current catalog.

Here is original olive green paint on my neighbor's nice unrestored 1950 Champion, and this is the same green that's on my 1952 Land Cruiser.

015.JPG

President Member
    I bought the rattle can from Napa that matched my 57 that's why I asked for references for the 51, SI's prices are steep especially after adding shipping.

Golden Hawk Member
    I bought the rattle can from Napa that matched my 57 that's why I asked for references for the 51, SI's prices are steep especially after adding shipping.
    Step up and buy from the guys that spend a lot of money and time to make all of this stuff available for a 60 year old car.

We should all recommend and support the vendors that support the club and our hobby.

S.I. does a lot for Studebaker owners. Napa does not.
    Last edited by mbstude; 03-04-2017 at 06:40 AM.

President Member
    I spend a lot with SI, get all my parts there except lubricants and soap. Lighten up. I'm not a wealthy man prone to spend triple for something, that's just plain stupid. I also automatically send my carbs and fuel pumps to Dave Tebo for reconditioning even though I have the ability to do them myself. I keep all my cars completely stock.
    Last edited by tim333; 03-04-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Usually, you only get ONE chance to get it right while the Engine is out and or Disassembled to Paint it, so I would not go with the Wrong Color, better to wait for next Month's Income check to do it right if necessary.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

The first time I was at Newman Altman was in 1971, when I got out of the Army. I bought some parts, and was told the reason for the olive drab engine color was that Studebaker had a lot of paint left over from war production. Can anyone else confirm this?

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    The first time I was at Newman Altman was in 1971, when I got out of the Army. I bought some parts, and was told the reason for the olive drab engine color was that Studebaker had a lot of paint left over from war production. Can anyone else confirm this?
    A South Bend urban legend. Stude was painting engines green from 1928 - 1954; many years before WWII.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Here is a '51 Commander 232; I used the enamel from S.I. pix 1117.jpg

Thanks for that picture. That is a beautiful engine compartment, and the green looks perfect. I hope SI has some in stock when I return this year.

President Member
    So I "stepped up" and ordered 2 cans from SI as well as a body parts manual. Getting ready to order new wiring from Lark Works .

So I "stepped up" and ordered 2 cans from SI as well as a body parts manual. Getting ready to order new wiring from Lark Works .
    You should order a Chassis parts manual also. Very helpful and great information. Pictures of everything, where it goes, how it interfaces with other things.

The engine green story that I heard was that the color matches spilled engine oil. Of course, spilled oil turned black from dirt pretty soon after being deposited on the engine.

Studebaker used that olive green from prewar through 54. 55 was blue, 56/57 were turquoise.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    I ordered body and chassis manuals, car came with shop and owners.

Speedster Member
    I once read that there was always green over spray on the valve(rocker) covers.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    Step up and buy from the guys that spend a lot of money and time to make all of this stuff available for a 60 year old car.

We should all recommend and support the vendors that support the club and our hobby.

S.I. does a lot for Studebaker owners. Napa does not.
    One can of spray paint from S.I., with shipping, is $25. We support our Studebaker vendors ;>)

jack vines
    PackardV8

Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    A South Bend urban legend. Stude was painting engines green from 1928 - 1954; many years before WWII.

jack vines
    Well shucks...never too late to start another urban legend...How 'bout, In the 1920's, While drilling a water well on the Studebaker property, they struck an underground reserve of "GREEN PAINT!" Enough to satisfy their needs and supply the ARMY! (yeah that's th' ticket)
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

President Member
    Jack, 2 cans of paint at $13.75 each with a $22.50 parts manual were only $58 with shipping.

Silver Hawk Member
    Jack, 2 cans of paint at $13.75 each with a $22.50 parts manual were only $58 with shipping.
    Tim, my post was just an FYI for the good of the order so anyone thinking of ordering one can of spray paint would know what to expect. Got the paint and the invoice in the mail today. Total was $24.75.

Just wondering why your shipping for two cans and a manual was only $8 and my shipping for one can was $11?

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 03-15-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    PackardV8

President Member
    I'm one state away in Illinois, you're way out west......maybe? Or, I do buy often from them??