Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clever float plane dry land takeoff

One-minute, 57-second video-
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

First time I've seen that one!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That's kinda cool.......but what I really want to see is the video where he lands back on that trailer on the return trip!
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Kindof a carrier landing in reverse.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          That's kinda cool.......but what I really want to see is the video where he lands back on that trailer on the return trip!
          ^^^^^ X2, my thought when I watched it also.

Bob

Comment

I remember a few years back a guy used to bring his float plane into Snohomish airport north of Seattle every year in the fall, waited for a rainy day and landed on the wet grass. I was told they did the same thing at nearby Arlington airport also. After storage all winter in a hangar, the local mechanic would do the annual inspection, then he would take off in the spring as shown here, only requires about 70-80 mph or so to lift off.

I think in Alaska they have been known to land and take off in the snow on glaciers as a normal operation.
            Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
            See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              Kindof a carrier landing in reverse.
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It would look something like this~

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Well...not so much an "original" concept...however, no pickup required.

John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I think this is much more exciting: http://www.flixxy.com/the-incredible-flyboard-air.htm
                    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

That was pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

In the 1970s, a local ag spray pilot had a wheel drop off his plane just after take off. Flew around and emptied his tanks, and called up another pilot who lived close. They got a farm pickup with a steel stockrack, laid planks across the top of the rack, and they made a couple of trials runs on his dirt strip. Set her down with the wing on top the truck, then braked to a halt together. Pickup driver said it was hairy with the prop spinning about 4 ft. from the windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                          I remember a few years back a guy used to bring his float plane into Snohomish airport north of Seattle every year in the fall, waited for a rainy day and landed on the wet grass. I was told they did the same thing at nearby Arlington airport also. After storage all winter in a hangar, the local mechanic would do the annual inspection, then he would take off in the spring as shown here, only requires about 70-80 mph or so to lift off.

I think in Alaska they have been known to land and take off in the snow on glaciers as a normal operation.
                          Something similar to this was done at Langley Regional Airport in Langley, British Columbia. There used to be a marshy area next to the runway where float planes landed. For take off the planes were set on big "skate boards". When the planes lifted off from the skate boards, the boards would be stopped by an embankment at the end of the runway. The Fraser Highway is right at the end of the runway and several feet above it.

Terry

Comment

In one of my books on the history of Cessna aircraft, there are photos of them doing that with float plane prototypes in the early 50s.
                            They'd take off from a dolly on the long cement runway at McConnell AFB, adjacent to the Cessna factory. Landing would be made on a lake (go figure) or on the grass at the Cessna field.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

They 'LOOK' like they know what they're doing!!

Comment

Working...
                              X