Thread: Heading To Florida!

Banned

Heading To Florida!

I'm heading down to Naples, Florida in a couple weeks.....Anything 'Stude related', or any good auto museums in the Fort Myers/Naples area?

I could go to see the Red Sox at their spring training camp, but I'm not really much into baseball.

Champion Member
    Try the Collier museum if you like foreign sports cars. suggest you make a reservation, you will get a guide.

Don Garlits museum of Drag racing in Ocala. Stephen Allens Studebaker and the Cade collection in Gainesville.
    Neil Thornton

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinhawk View Post
    Don Garlits museum of Drag racing in Ocala. Stephen Allens Studebaker and the Cade collection in Gainesville.
    They are all well north of Naples...Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    They are all well north of Naples...Correct?
    Yes. they are both near I-75.
    Neil Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    I'm heading down to Naples, Florida in a couple weeks.....Anything 'Stude related', or any good auto museums in the Fort Myers/Naples area?

I could go to see the Red Sox at their spring training camp, but I'm not really much into baseball.
    I just did a search , and found quite a number of Auto related museums , etc in the Naples / Fort Myers area .
    Anyone that goes to the area should definitely go to the Edison Estate . quite a place , and the side by side homes of Edison and Henry Ford are
    right there . There's couple of cars in the Edison museum .
    If you are at all a plant person , the place is a Tropical paradise .
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

WELCOME to sunny Florida...

Banned
    Thanks for the input folks!

Commander Member
    I visited the Collier museum , also called the Revs institute, in Naples last year. It is a very large exhibition of all kinds of cars from early 1900 to the 1980's.
    The volunteers are very friendly and gave me good information about the cars

I'll third the Colliers. Their collection is not large but contains key cars from Briggs Cunningham's collection including his two 1950 Cadillacs which he ran at LeMans finishing 10th and 11th IIRC.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Champion Member
    If you go to Colliers, Ask for Ralph Stoesser as your docent. Personal friend from childhood, does a great tour.

Gus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AD56GH View Post
    If you go to Colliers, Ask for Ralph Stoesser as your docent. Personal friend from childhood, does a great tour.

Gus
    I will definitely try to tour the Collier...Right in Naples...good deal!...I'll ask for Mr. stoesser and mention your name!...Thanks again all!

President Member
    Visiting the Collier/Revs Institute is a good idea. If you are still in the area the Naples-Marco Island Region of the AACA puts on its annual show at the Naples Depot. It is a great club and the show includes a great variety of cars. Verify, but I think it is scheduled for March 4th.

Banned
    I haven't been to all that many 'high end' auto museums....however, I'd guess that the Collier Museum, otherwise known as the 'Revs Institute', HAS to be in the top ten!

From the absolutely beautiful building it's housed in, to the immaculate grounds the museum sits on,...this place is really something to behold!

Once inside, there's a large variety of American and European 'performance oriented' vehicles, as well as very special cars such as Gary Cooper's SSJ (Short, Supercharged, Model J) Duesenberg.

This museum includes the largest collection of Porsche racers outside of the factory collection in Stuttgart, Germany.....and several vintage Ferraris also.

The 'Revs' absorbed the Briggs Cunningham Museum collection several years ago, and features most all of the vehicles from his collection.

Since I was a kid, I admired the look of Lance Reventlow's (Revlon) 'Scarab' sports racing cars,.... well, one of the eight that were built resides in this collection, as well as the original wooden body buck the Scarab's aluminum body panels were hammered out on!

Two original Ford 'GT-40' Le Mans racers are in the collection, one powered by the legendary 427, while the other (actually newer) one is powered by a racing version of the Ford 289.

Several vintage Indianapolis racers are displayed upstairs in this two-story building.

Also, there are many different racing engines on display, including one of the hopped up, dual carb 331 CI Cadillac V-8's Cunningham used in his road-race Cadillac sedans.

I want to give special thanks to SDC forum member Gus Daub for suggesting going to see this museum! (Hey Gus, I met with your childhood friend, and Revs Museum guide Ralph Stoesser, and boy, did his face ever light up when I mentioned YOUR name!!)

....And thanks to everyone else who suggested booking an appointment to tour this wonderful facility, located in Naples, (Collier County), Florida!!!!....Some pics to follow, as soon as I can)............SN-60...Ed

President Member
    Ed: Glad you visited the Collier Museum, as it is considered to be in the top ten in the country. I checked and tomorrow the annual Naples Depot Show will held, as I verified it. Here is a link. http://www.colliermuseums.com/events/antique_auto_show

Banned
    Thanks Bob, the Collier's was a great recommendation!...There was talk of the Naples Depot Show at the museum, however, we flew out last night, so this weekend events in Naples were out.

I believe it's a AACA event, and no doubt they'll be some gorgeous vehicles there!....Take care...Ed

President Member
    Ed: When Miles Collier acquired the Cunningham collection included was a Bugatti Royale which he sold and acquired other cars. I think there were only around six ever made. I belonged to the local AACA Region and the show provides about 150 top notch cars. Anyone in the area would enjoy the great variety. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bryant View Post
    Ed: When Miles Collier acquired the Cunningham collection included was a Bugatti Royale which he sold and acquired other cars. I think there were only around six ever made. I belonged to the local AACA Region and the show provides about 150 top notch cars. Anyone in the area would enjoy the great variety. Glad you enjoyed your visit.
    Just for the record, 7 Bugatti Royales were built. One was destroyed, 6 remain in existence. (I have no idea why I remember useless info like this.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bryant View Post
    Yes, there was mention at the 'Revs' of a Bugatti Royale that came as part of the Cunningham collection....We were told that the Royale, (they do have other race-type Bugattis on display there), didn't really fit into the general theme of the Collier collection, so it was auctioned off, and the money from the sale went into the construction of the present (really outstanding) Revs Institute building.

Banned
    By the way, the 'Collier' was only about ten minutes away from where I stayed, in a 'coach home' at Treviso Bay. What a GORGEOUS place!, complete with a world class TPC 18 hole golf course!

President Member
    Since you're in Naples, you owe it to yourself to visit the Edison/Ford winter homes and museum in Ft. Myers. It's not that far north of Naples. Yes, there are a couple of Model T Fords in Henry's garage, but the museum is fantastic!
    Have fun.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raprice View Post
    Since you're in Naples, you owe it to yourself to visit the Edison/Ford winter homes and museum in Ft. Myers. It's not that far north of Naples. Yes, there are a couple of Model T Fords in Henry's garage, but the museum is fantastic!
    Have fun.
    Rog
    Thanks for the info Rog, however we've been back in frigid old Massachusetts for a couple days now!....We'll be heading back to Naples for a longer stay next winter though, I could really get used to that place!!!....The temp hit 90' this past Wednesday, a record for this time of year they told me!