64 GT PS gusher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 64 GT PS gusher

Backing out of garage today saw a thick trail of pinkish drops on driveway. Suspecting PS leak, had wife start car and press gas while turning wheels in park; I looked underneath by front left wheel. When wheels straight not much drip but when turned wheels right slightly, streams of PS fluid (Dextron lll) shot out in pulses, until wheels straight again. Does this sound like issue with PS valve, or pump, or more like hose leak? Couldn't tell exactly where stream coming from. Had car 15 years, same PS pump but new hoses in 2002 and have insulation on exhaust to protect hose, but might be its time. Wonder if I should chance driving 20 miles to my mechanic or just have it towed there. PS Reservoir down 1 inch. Appreciate advice!

It is not a good idea to drive the car with leaking power steering fluid as it could spray on a hot exhaust pipe and catch fire. You could remove the belt going to the power steering pump and drive the car without power steering.
    Ron

Comment

At the age of the rubber.... replace all pressure lines at a local jobber....belt off again...

Comment

Originally posted by RHM7447 View Post
        Backing out of garage today saw a thick trail of pinkish drops on driveway. Suspecting PS leak, had wife start car and press gas while turning wheels in park; I looked underneath by front left wheel. When wheels straight not much drip but when turned wheels right slightly, streams of PS fluid (Dextron lll) shot out in pulses, until wheels straight again. Does this sound like issue with PS valve, or pump, or more like hose leak? Couldn't tell exactly where stream coming from. Had car 15 years, same PS pump but new hoses in 2002 and have insulation on exhaust to protect hose, but might be its time. Wonder if I should chance driving 20 miles to my mechanic or just have it towed there. PS Reservoir down 1 inch. Appreciate advice!
        Sounds like a hose to me. If the spool seal was the culprit it usually leaks all the time. New hoses in 2002 are now 15 years old!! Don't drive it if possible, besides the environmental mess, possible fire etc., you will lose all fluid and power before you get there, and the pump won't like running dry--BIG BUCKS to save a tow. You might chance it by removing the power steering belt and manhandling it with manual steering to get there. Better you than me though, my arms aren't strong enough anymore.
        Last edited by karterfred88; 02-20-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Rotten hose. It is over 50 now and as most of us know things deteriorate after 50. Replace them all, but do them one at a time. take the leaky one off and take it to a farm implement shop that makes hoses. Put it back just the way you found it in the rats nest of hoses. Do it in one day so you're less likely to forget how it went in. Don't take all of them off at one time. Been there ,done that, Bad Idea.

Comment

Thanks all, think I'll go for the tow and take some new hoses 🤔

Comment

Power steering hoses are the worst. Mine used to fail all the time, new or not. Even the new one's crack at the end of the crimped fitting. I've eventually gone down to a pressure hose supplier with my tubed fittings in hand and had then made. The last ones I repaired was about two years ago.

If you are replacing the hose yourself use crowfeet wrenches. It almost makes the job enjoyable.

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Just cut the belt, then you can drive it as long as needed till you get hoses mode for it. It won't hurt to drive it that way. Throw the cut belt in the trunk, then next time you are in a FLAPS, pick up a new belt.
                Agree, its better to have them made up at a hydraulic shop. In many states, hydraulic shops are squeamish about making PS hoses, so don't tell them its for PS. Tell them its for a power jack or something.

Comment

Same exact problem,the power steering return hose is done for.New can be sourced from various dealers.Warninng they are hard to get at & difficult to replace,you will find yourself cussing at the job !

Comment

Working...
                  X