Terry Barnes - Puyallup WA 1957 Goldenhawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Barnes - Puyallup WA 1957 Goldenhawks

I posted in the intro thread, but thought this is appropriate too.

My name is Gordy Barnes and my father, Terry Barnes recently passed away. He has been fan of Studebakers his entire life. Before I was born, Dad had a 1957 Goldenhawk whichhe just loved. I recently found a picture of it as we prepared to close his estate. If I recall, it was back on black (maybe red) fins pic below? Hard to tell in the black and white picture andgoing off memory. After marriage and agrowing family (and a broken axle) Mom made him to sell it, somewhere around1963ish. A regret he always had. Of course, an expanding family, work (he retired with 40years at Boeing), life and other responsibilities didn’t allow Dad to getanother hobby car. He always helped other people work on their cars andrestored several of mine and my siblings. But never one for himself. That’s thetype of person my Dad was… Selfless
    Growing up, I heard stories about the Goldenhawk and howmuch he enjoyed it. In particular, a race he was in with a Jaguar. My Dad’sfriend Dave was driving the Hawk and a Jag came up to challenge them. My dadsaid, “Go, I’ll pay the ticket…” and the race was on. The Goldenhawk outpacedthe Jag and kept pulling away. A coolstory to hear about my Dad’s car.

Fast forward to 1988. I followed my Dad’s footsteps andstarted my career at Boeing also (I have 30 years so far). I loved looking atAutotraders back then and found a rust free, complete, gold 1957 Goldenhawk forsale. The price was $4K. I was excited and showed my Dad, but he grumbled somethingabout Mom would complain, so I said “Let’s go in half’s on it, and this can beyours to have fun with…” At that time we just finished up my 57 Chevy Truck andwanted him to have his own ride. We both pitched in $2k and the car came hometo Seattle and I was an official Goldenhawk co-owner (which was really Dads). When born, the Hawk was an automatic, but attime of purchase it had a 3sp and a supercharged 259… The good news is we receivedthe org 289 S block with it.
    Over a short period of time, we prepped the body, painted, rebuiltthe supercharger, spiffed the interior a bit and made it a nice streetdriver. He loved the car and took it to Renofor Hot August Nights annually. The car also did well at an InternationalStudebaker Meet in Portland years ago.
    The years went by, and the car wasn’t driven a lot, he wouldpull it out a couple times a year and drive around and go to a cruise, a show, or local drive in.

Cancer took my Dad from us in late June 2016 and now I havethe responsibility to watch over the Goldenhawk. When clearing his estate Ilooked at the 289 block and decided to get it rebuilt. I contacted Neil Wollamand he is now finishing up the rebuild of the original motor and helping melearn more about Studebakers.
    Soon, the original motor will be back in the car. It runsjust fine with 259, but I thought it would be nice to have the correct engine back in. Appearance wise, the car is gorgeousand people really love the car, but mechanically it’s tired. This year I will have all brakes redone, andcurrently debating going disc conversion, but leaning towards rebuilding stock.I want to get the steering and suspension rebuilt, so I can hop in and go. Itold Dad I would get it to where it should be. My promise to him.

The car resides in Mukilteo WA, about 30 miles north ofSeattle. My father passed about 5 weeks before my daughter’s wedding, so it was a very special day driving her to her wedding in the Goldenhawk and having pictures with the car in from of the lighthouse in Mukilteo, WA.

Now I’m proud to continuelove for the car and my Dad’s legacy. I miss him so much....
    Gordy a.k.a. BigSmooth

Last edited by Big Smooth; 02-19-2017, 10:45 AM.
    sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Keeping the passion alive

Welcome Gordy! Sorry for your loss last year. It's great that you and your Dad could share good times with that Golden Hawk.

Hope to see you here on this forum a lot. By the way, we all love progress photos.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      Welcome Gordy! Sorry for your loss last year. It's great that you and your Dad could share good times with that Golden Hawk.

Hope to see you here on this forum a lot. By the way, we all love progress photos.

Thanks, I will share photos as it progresses. Ill be around on the forum learning and picking the brains of the guru's.

Gordy
      sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Comment

Gordy, welcome to the SDC Forum, Have you thought about joining the local chapter of Studebaker Drivers Club, North Puget Sound is the chapter name. you can e mail Pat Knappert for more info his address is patcarol@frontier.com We will be attending General Aviation Day at Paine Field in May join us. Lou Cote past chapter president

Comment

Originally posted by dynolou2 View Post
          Gordy, welcome to the SDC Forum, Have you thought about joining the local chapter of Studebaker Drivers Club, North Puget Sound is the chapter name. you can e mail Pat Knappert for more info his address is patcarol@frontier.com We will be attending General Aviation Day at Paine Field in May join us. Lou Cote past chapter president
          H Lou, yes I will join in the next week or two, I have already communicated with Mark and Pat. Looking forward to meeting you. I know there is a event at the aviation heritage museum next weekend, but my son has a Lacrosse tournament.

It will be nice to make the connections. I really need someone who knows Studebakers to work on the car for me.

Gordy
          sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

Comment

Working...
          X