Thread: Brand "X" hydraulic roller tappets, different...

Brand "X" hydraulic roller tappets, different...

This I can't figure out...

I have 2 MoPar 318 engines, one from my own van that was a company's car (white & empty in the back) & one from a disabled man's van (red metallic, BIIIG windows on the sides & chairs in the back), they are both also from 1989.

Both had a ticking sound a few seconds when starting up, only cold engine.

The one from my own van (that I'm gonna put in my Studebaker to replace the seriously over-heated one that's in there now) was the least sludgy so I lifted the intake & pulled rods & then lifters one by one & took them apart & cleaned them...

One side first...

& when I took the other side lifters out I noticed they where different!

One side has a ball inside & one has a plate.

"Ah, I'll just get some from the other engine" was obviously my thoughts, & so I lifted that intake too & started & found out that IT WAS THE SAME THERE!!!

Even stranger I think it's that the "big" spring inside the lifters at the bottom also are different hard on different sides of the engines, but if you look to buy new original ones, there's only one kind!

I also found a thread on "For A-bodies Only" about a guy who also discovered different lifters/side engine & he thought like I also thought first that someone must have replaced one side.

Wen I press down the piston inside the tappets it's a BIG difference in hardness!
    So... does anyone know why this is?

This is all I can think of now & I REALLY hope somebody has a good & pretty quick answer...

Pew...

Since it obviously was no use to post this I was gonna delete it but I can't find out how to do that.
    Sorry for taking up space.

President Member
    A few years ago Lionel Stone offered hydraulic lifters for Studebakers. I believe they were originally made for small block Mopars. Now those engines that came with roller lifters I have wondered what the bore centers of the intake/exhaust pairs were compared to Studebakers. Even solid roller lifters, as long as the bores were at least close to the same should work since the main function of the cross bars was keeping the lifter roller in line with the camshaft.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Since I can't post pictures here I can only tell you that the outer diameter is 23 millimeter & as I've read on some MoPar forums there's stuff to be done about the oiling when swapping to roller tappets.
    If you wonder about how the originals one look you can google but to be sure you get the right pictures you better write "original stock" as well as MoPar hydraulic roller lifters/tappets.
    Good luck!
    Now I'm curious what diameter Studebaker lifters have...

Just a short question then:
    Does anyone have a thought to share about what would be the best to have in an engine; harder or softer springed lifters?
    Any one...?