Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever mount 15x8 wheels on a Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Anyone ever mount 15x8 wheels on a Hawk?

These seem like a very good deal, but I suspect that they are 15x8 with the tire size, which I obviously will not use. Anyone ever have backspacing or clearance issues? My car is a '63.

I think they would be a little wide depending on back spacing and tires would be a little on the tall side. But yes that is a good deal. May want to buy them and flip them or trade on some that would work.

Comment

Worth checking out. I'd be surprised if they were over 7". Just ask about rim width and backspacing. About 3.5" back spacing should be fine on the front but might be close to the fender on the rear.

Best thing to do is bolt on a spare wheel and add the Cragar dimensions to it and see what it looks like.

Also be sure you like Unilug wheels. Doesn't bother me much but some don't like them.

I agree, you'll need new tires of a smaller size.

Bob

Comment

The shoulder deflection of the tire suggests to me they are 7" wide not 8 as listed. The sidewall is pinched in further than if they were 8, perhaps just the picture. Don't let me deter you, 7" is actually better. Although Unilug is archaic, with proper anti-seize lubricant on both the threads and the lug shoulder you should have no difficulty and the Ford thread is correct for you. I have a '63 with similar application and 235/70/r15 tires.
        Bill

Comment

Thanks for the help. I may buy anyway. The tire will work on my van, so it could be a win-win! And I don't mind uni-lug, I ran Keystone mags back in high school and never had a problem with them.

Comment

I had 15X8 on the rear of the 55 R-2 powered Coupe I sold my brother , No Problems , I don't remember the back space , I guess for a Beer we could pull one off and measure Ed

Comment

The wires sure are pretty, though!
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Kind of depends on the miles/ condition of the car. I have a 62 GT Hawk, it was up on blocks since 1978. It's 'stance' is quite a bit different than most. What I mean here is centerline of the wheel/tire in the 'hole' of the wheel opening. I could probably run 10 inches of tire back there, since the car is not 'sagged' . My Wagon is very much the same, It has 15 /50 series tires in the rear...

Comment

Working...
                X