Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: factory am/fm radio

Commander Member

factory am/fm radio

How rare and pricy is a factory studebaker am/fm radio? I had only seen them in brochures untill yesterday when I picked up a 64 cruiser and it has one in it!

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitt View Post
    How rare and pricy is a factory studebaker am/fm radio? I had only seen them in brochures untill yesterday when I picked up a 64 cruiser and it has one in it!
    I've seen NOS ones sell for as high as $800.

Commander Member
    Wow that radio may be worth more than I gave for the whole car. Lol

With the diminishing popularity of AM radio, which now seems to be limited to all-talk format for the most part, factory AM-FM radios from the 1960 for any make have skyrocketed in value. Of course, one can see Radio Roy and get their AM converted to also receive FM broadcasts.

Craig

President Member
    I have seen some recently over $1K used, so yes they are getting really pricey!
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

I think it was a couple of years ago someone sold a NOS Avanti AM/FM for $1200.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Commander Member
    If anyone needs one I would sell or trade this one.

President Member
    If anyone needs one I would sell or trade this one.
    Hello jwitt, PM Sent
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Just me but there's no music in the world I would pay $1200 for even if it was live.

President Member
    I have heard the 63-64 FM radios offered did not sound anywhere near as good as what is offered today.It's true about AM radio ,nothing but talk & sports.Used to be a couple of oldies stations in the past but they seem to have packed it in.

I guess we're lucky around here, several oldies rock stations and one classic country station on AM. I find myself listening to AM most of the time, even though I have FM.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

President Member
    AM-FM radios of that era are mono except maybe for luxury cars. Even the one in my '74 Scamp was mono.

The Radio Roy conversion I had done was great!. I coupled it with a Kenwood class D amplifier, and JBL component speakers. Sounded great!
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...KAC-M1804.html
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by 1954khardtop View Post
    I guess we're lucky around here, several oldies rock stations and one classic country station on AM. I find myself listening to AM most of the time, even though I have FM.
    You are lucky. AM in the San Francisco Bay Area is sports talk, money talk, religious talk, headline news talk with no follow up, more sports talk, more money talk, Foreign language talk, and occasionally some Indian/Pakistani Bollywood music in between Indian/Pakistani talk. When I have to fix an AM radio, the programming drives me nuts. If I wasn't so busy or lazy, I would build that AM transmitter kit that has been on the shelf for ten years.

p.s. Thanks Brad!
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-17-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Commander Member
    20170217_190938-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the radio. I hope this works
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speedster Member
    Nice condition. You are a lucky guy to have it.

And it is in a Cruiser to boot. Looks great. Are you going to fix up the car?

Mark

SI has the AM/FM dial glass. ANY AM can be converted to a good STEREO FM. Add th dial glass, and no one will know the difference when looking at it first glance.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948

Commander Member
    I would like to but there's no paperwork with it and for some reason the vin plates is gone? Guy I bought it from said he saved it from the crusher and that they removed the vin tag from the car when it was brought in. I have a 66 cruiser (well what's left of it anyway) with a clean paper trail so the 64 my get turned into a 66. I hate to do that or part it out but I have no idea what the vin for the car was. It had power Drum brakes and power steering too.

I would like to but there's no paperwork with it and for some reason the vin plates is gone? Guy I bought it from said he saved it from the crusher and that they removed the vin tag from the car when it was brought in. I have a 66 cruiser (well what's left of it anyway) with a clean paper trail so the 64 my get turned into a 66. I hate to do that or part it out but I have no idea what the vin for the car was. It had power Drum brakes and power steering too.
    Find the hidden vin on the rear crossmember, and make a new stainless serial # plate for the door jamb with that number.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    You are lucky. AM in the San Francisco Bay Area is sports talk, money talk, religious talk, headline news talk with no follow up, more sports talk, more money talk, Foreign language talk, and occasionally some Indian/Pakistani Bollywood music in between Indian/Pakistani talk. When I have to fix an AM radio, the programming drives me nuts. If I wasn't so busy or lazy, I would build that AM transmitter kit that has been on the shelf for ten years.

p.s. Thanks Brad!
    Here just east of the bay area FM isn't much better. One decent oldies station, an 80's headbanger station and a new country station, the rest are foreign or yap. I picked up a FM transmitter thing that plugs into the cig lighter and plays MP3's to my stock AM/FM radio, via FM. It was around $6. It's cool, I can play anything I put on a USB drive, SD card or I Pod and it sounds like 1962!

Commander Member
    There is a hidden vin on the frame? Didn't know studebaker did that. I'll look for it later today. Thanks

There is a hidden vin on the frame? Didn't know studebaker did that. I'll look for it later today. Thanks
    This is the location of it: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=secret+serial

Craig

Commander Member
    Thanks! I would have been looking for hours with out knowing that.

Commander Member
    The radio actually still works! I can pick up am and fm although the tuning dial seems a little sticky. And volume is low but that could be the speaker.

I have RadioRoy's conversion in my '54, it works great. As soon as I travel out of range of my home AM stations I switch it over to FM.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

I have an under dash am/fm converter, originally used when fm was in its infancy and people want fm reception. The signal is from the antenna is put through the converter and fed back to the radio using a preset AM frequency. Cheap alternative to an AM?FM radio. They are available from time to time on ebay anywhere from 20 to 50 dlrs. I think I paid $15.00 for the last one I bought $50.00 for the first.

55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Quote Originally Posted by bensherb View Post
    Here just east of the bay area FM isn't much better. One decent oldies station, an 80's headbanger station and a new country station, the rest are foreign or yap. I picked up a FM transmitter thing that plugs into the cig lighter and plays MP3's to my stock AM/FM radio, via FM. It was around $6. It's cool, I can play anything I put on a USB drive, SD card or I Pod and it sounds like 1962!
    While these units that plug into the antenna have the advantage of low cost, they have the disadvantage of having all the fidelity and richness of tone as an AM radio.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Speaking of conversions, about 30 years ago I sent the 56J radio off to reputable place in Florida for an expensive FM conversion, about $220 at that time. It works by turning the AM radio on a couple of minutes, then off and on quickly; a tiny red lite will appear, indicating it is on FM. It still works, but from day one, will only pick up the radio station if you can see the tower. In other words, it works about as well as the $5, pocket sized transistor radios of the 50s-60s. I probably have not turned it on half dozen times in the past 10 years. I sure hope the conversions nowadays are better than that one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    I sure hope the conversions nowadays are better than that one. LOL
    There is a world of difference. These early ones used the original radio circuitry and were very fussy to install. I bought one, but never installed it after reading the instructions. Today's units are self contained, stand alone units and only interface with the original radio's tuning coils and the volume/tone controls.

In addition, a new sheriff appeared in town about 4 years ago. This guy is a terrific engineer, is approachable and open to suggestions.

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Des...tive_Home.html

All the disadvantages/weaknesses of the original company's products appear to have been analyzed and fixed by the engineer/owner of Aurora Design.

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    What is the year of the radio?

Speedster Member
    1964 Cruiser Radio

I am glad I kept the AM/FM out of the '64 GT Hawk I once owned. Someday I'll have it tested/refurbished and put in my Avanti.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

President Member
    Is the actual AM/FM radio itself the same for the sedan, Hawk and Avanti? I think the parts book has different numbers for each type.

Speedster Member
    The AM/FM radio in the Avanti used a red bulb, as opposed to clear for Lark-type and Hawk. Note that the AM/FM was new in '64; i.e., it was not available in '63.
    -Dwight FitzSimons

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    The AM/FM radio in the Avanti used a red bulb, as opposed to clear for Lark-type and Hawk. Note that the AM/FM was new in '64; i.e., it was not available in '63.
    Hawks and Lark-types also used the red bulb in 1964.

Craig

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Hawks and Lark-types also used the red bulb in 1964.

Craig
    I seem to remember hearing something about differing dial face and knob colors as well?

Mark

Silver Hawk Member
    I believe the radios themselves were identical. The different AC part numbers were required to distinguish between the different mounting brackets, instructions, etc, in the kits.

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    20170217_190938-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the radio. I hope this works
    Do you know if it works, and how much are you selling it for?

Speedster Member
    I do NOT think that Hawks and Lark-types used the red bulb in the AM/FM radio. The AM radio used in '64 Hawks & Lark-types used a white bulb to match the other instruments. Why would they differ on the AM/FM in a Hawk or Lark-type? Someone please confirm this.
    -Dwight FitzSimons