Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Wanted: Chromed breather for an OHV 6

  1. #1
    President Member Ron Dame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    1,298

    Wanted: Chromed breather for an OHV 6

    I have not found one from any vendors so far, and it is different than the standard V8 breather. Does anyone have one in decent shape available?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,578
    Didn't someone say they are the same as the R3-4 type?

  3. #3
    President Member Ron Dame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by SN-60 View Post
    Didn't someone say they are the same as the R3-4 type?
    I've heard the same thing. I have a chromed valve cover I bought with no breather, and the painted one looks dumb.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

  4. #4
    President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Douglasville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dame View Post
    I have not found one from any vendors so far, and it is different than the standard V8 breather. Does anyone have one in decent shape available?
    Ron, I am sorry I have not answered your email. But the answer is the same as when you asked a couple or three months. No, I don't have one. Check with Nemesh or Depesh Solinke. Sorry, not sure of the correct spelling of there names.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

  5. #5
    President Member Ron Dame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    1,298
    No problem Jerry, you never know when one might show up and you don't recall who was looking for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Ron, I am sorry I have not answered your email. But the answer is the same as when you asked a couple or three months. No, I don't have one. Check with Nemesh or Depesh Solinke. Sorry, not sure of the correct spelling of there names.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

  6. #6
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    1146 Simmons Gap Rd., Dyke, VA 22935
    Posts
    146
    The six cylinder engines did have a slightly larger breather tube on the valve cover, so a V8 cap won't fit. These are the same caps that Studebaker used on the R3/R4 engines. These caps are an OPEN cap; i.e., one large hole underneath, rather than two very small holes. I have never seen these "large" caps with the two very small holes (for metering in air for the PCV), but, with Studebaker, never say never.

    I have occasionally found these caps at swap meets, & have bought them as spares for my R3.
    -Dwight FitzSimons

  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montpelier, VT, USA.
    Posts
    1,020
    Anybody have a part number?
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

  8. #8
    President Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Millsboro, DE
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dame View Post
    I have not found one from any vendors so far, and it is different than the standard V8 breather. Does anyone have one in decent shape available?
    What does the tube diameter measure, or is it a twist on? There are lots of aftermarket chrome breather caps, Specter, Mr. Gasket, Edelbrock. I would guess the tube is the same as some other engine and one of them will slide on nicely and work. I'd have to guess Studebaker didn't contract with anyone for a special size cap just for R3,4 engines and OHV 6s. https://www.google.com/search?q=chro...09ADwQ_AUIBygC

  9. #9
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    1146 Simmons Gap Rd., Dyke, VA 22935
    Posts
    146
    The tube on the valve covers of the 259/289/R1/R2 engines is 1-3/8" outside diameter. There is one per valve cover on these engines. On the R3/R4 the tube is 1.5" outside diameter. The R3 & R4 valve covers have two tubes per valve cover. In both cases the tube(s) are simply straight tubes. The cap simply pushes straight onto the tube. Obviously, an R3/R4 cap will fit (loosely) on a 259/289/R1/R2 valve cover, but a 259/289/R1/R2 cap will not fit onto an R3/R4 valve cover. The R3/R4 engines had 4 V.C. breather caps, and open ones at that, so the blowby can be exhausted while the pistons are swapping holes in the engine. These engines burn oil like an old Chrysler hemi.
    -Dwight FitzSimons

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    The tube on the valve covers of the 259/289/R1/R2 engines is 1-3/8" outside diameter. There is one per valve cover on these engines. On the R3/R4 the tube is 1.5" outside diameter. The R3 & R4 valve covers have two tubes per valve cover. In both cases the tube(s) are simply straight tubes. The cap simply pushes straight onto the tube. Obviously, an R3/R4 cap will fit (loosely) on a 259/289/R1/R2 valve cover, but a 259/289/R1/R2 cap will not fit onto an R3/R4 valve cover. The R3/R4 engines had 4 V.C. breather caps, and open ones at that, so the blowby can be exhausted while the pistons are swapping holes in the engine. These engines burn oil like an old Chrysler hemi.
    -Dwight FitzSimons
    This is a very interesting post! (IMHO)

  11. #11
    President Member (S)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ferndale, Washington
    Posts
    1,518
    There were also 2 options: One for a PCV system, And the other one was for a non pcv system, meant for pure all out race. The Avanti as far as I know had a non pcv option, the air cleaner was actually LARGER than any R2, and had a non pcv option for full race. That is one reason why the oil caps were 'bigger'

    Here is an example:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/302229779317...84.m1558.l2649

  12. #12
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    1146 Simmons Gap Rd., Dyke, VA 22935
    Posts
    146
    The seller states that one could take a drill and convert his R3/R4 non-PCV breather cap into a PCV-type. That is, of course, silly. What would one drill into? The whole inside is open.
    -Dwight FitzSimons

  13. #13
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    26,356
    The perimeter where the stock Breather Caps have holes drilled all the way around is blank, so the eBay Ad Cap is actually a Sealed closed Cap, so it COULD be made to "breathe" by adding the holes!

    The Center would not have the restriction holes as used on the 1963 Studebaker non-sealed System early Calif./New York required system, but would have good crankcase air flow and Filter media could be added if missing.

    If that were done, it would work on a '61-'64 OHV Six and a R3/R4.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  14. #14
    President Member r1lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC, USA.
    Posts
    3,810
    Blog Entries
    36
    Hey Ron, could you just send Jerry Forrester a stock OHV six breather cap, and have him chrome it?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

  15. #15
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    26,356
    They are NLA.

  16. #16
    President Member Ron Dame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    1,298
    I'm working with Jerry now. He had no way to remove the powder coat on it, but then I remembered that there is a cover on my spare engine. Gonna do the air cleaner at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Hey Ron, could you just send Jerry Forrester a stock OHV six breather cap, and have him chrome it?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

  17. #17
    President Member r1lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC, USA.
    Posts
    3,810
    Blog Entries
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    They are NLA.
    Oh no, OHV 6 breather caps are NLA now too? First C-K front fenders, now this!

    Used ones can be chromed too. (All the NOS ones must have been bought up to used on R3 and R4 clones.)
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

  18. #18
    President Member Ron Dame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    1,298
    Painted ones are still available, just not chrome ones. I'm pulling a spare painted one and sending it to Jerry Forrester for improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Oh no, OHV 6 breather caps are NLA now too? First C-K front fenders, now this!

    Used ones can be chromed too. (All the NOS ones must have been bought up to used on R3 and R4 clones.)
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •