Engine color on 1948 Champion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine color on 1948 Champion.

I've been doing some research on what the factory color was on the engine blocks and head covers for the 1948 Champions. I can't find a good reference that clearly indicates the factory color on those engines.

My engine seems to have no color at all. It looks like its bare metal (or maybe its a wasted brown color), which makes me wonder...did the color just waste away or was it simply plane metal?

Thanks,
    Sergio
    Best Regards,
    Sergio
    1948 Champion Regal Deluxe

Your engine should be a nice olive green.
    My neighbor's 1950 also has no paint remaining on his engine.
    My 1950 was restored 22 years ago, and I'd like to find an exact match to touch up some green on my engine.

Comment

S.I. (and other vendors) have the correct engine paint. S.I.#800254 for spray, #800810 for a quart can.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

TWChamp and Corvanti, thank you very much! I'll look into the paint options at S/I.

Best Regards,
        Sergio
        Best Regards,
        Sergio

Comment

SI didn't have any engine paint when I stopped a year ago. Here's my engine. Does the SI paint match mine?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion 1950a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1712453

Comment

Originally posted by SergioG View Post
            I've been doing some research on what the factory color was on the engine blocks and head covers for the 1948 Champions. I can't find a good reference that clearly indicates the factory color on those engines.

My engine seems to have no color at all. It looks like its bare metal (or maybe its a wasted brown color), which makes me wonder...did the color just waste away or was it simply plane metal?

Thanks,
            Sergio
            Could be your engine was once hot tanked and rebuilt by a CASO, who figured it wasn't worth springing for paint if it was just going to get covered with grease and oil anyway?

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

You know Mark...you might just be right. LOL!
              Best Regards,
              Sergio

Comment

Hi TWChamp, WOW! Very nice. My engine is a mess, but I just got the car, so I have A LOT of work to do! - Thank you.
                Best Regards,
                Sergio

Comment

The color matched 30 weight oil of the time. I use green engine paint for Packards.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[QUOTE=SergioG;1038331]I've been doing some research on what the factory color was on the engine blocks and head covers for the 1948 Champions. I can't find a good reference that clearly indicates the factory color on those engines.

Sergio

When I rebuilt my 1953 Champion, I had a paint store try to match the olive green color with a custom-mixed enamel. Came out a litte darker than I anticipated.

Name:	1953 Champion Engine.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1712626

Bill L.
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

The paint from SI is a good quality enamel, very durable!

Comment

i had pics posted on another thread. here's before and after on the '40. spray paint from S.I.

Name:	DSCF0437.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1712644 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0443.jpg
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1712645
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Must be the lighting, Camera or something because this one does not show the correct Olive (Dark Avocado) Color, looks almost Kelly Green. The Before looks like '56-'57 Turquoise Green, it's not a "185" is it?

Post #5 Looks correct.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is my neighbor's good original survivor 1950 Champion.
                            You can see what's left of the original engine paint still on the oil fill and near the center of the fan.
                            As Rich said, my engine is a good match to this original color.
                            I don't know where my paint came from when someone restored the car 23 years ago, but I'd like to find a match for it.

Name:	013.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1712685

Comment

Hi TWChamp, your neighbor has the good fortune to still have some color on his engine...below are two images of my engine and I can't find any color that resembles green (on the engine itself) much less a shade that I can consider original.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 12.09.33 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1712723

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 12.10.00 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1712722

As you can see, I have A LOT of cleaning and detailing to do. This car has a lot of dirt and dust all over it and the engine compartment is no exception. That said, the car is remarkably well kept.
                              Best Regards,
                              Sergio

Comment

Working...
                              X