63 Lark and 64 Commander work started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 63 Lark and 64 Commander work started

Both Studebakers were delivered today! Out of 9 tires, two hold air . I have posted a youtube video showing what I have found so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dCN5XsSwUE
    It looks like the Lark was better taken care of and will probably be the focus of the rebuild.

I am working on a list of things that need to be replaced/sourced, but first I want to see if I can get one or both engines turning. I have put some Transmission fluid in the cylinders to lube the rings before I try turning the crankshaft. I then spent the evening washing the thick layer of scum and dirt off the cars. They are much more attractive after a bit of cleaning.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210_161322.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1753540Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210_134938.jpg
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1753539Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210_161335.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1753541

Quick update, the Commander engine is seized I will have to let the ATF sit for a while longer. In the meantime the Lark engine lets me rotate it with a 1.5" socket on the front. I will attempt to rebuild one of the water pumps, the alternator, carburetor and fuel pump. I will have to disassemble clean and re-assemble the starter motor as well, it turns but will not engage.

Comment

Started cleaning the water pumps and one of the starter motors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbbS9f9e948
      I am a bit confused by tire sizes, are 205/75/15's the (modern) correct size tire to use on the 63 Lark?
      It currently has three P225/75B15 and a G78-15 tire.

Comment

Your G78's are about 46 Years old, several GENERATIONS of Tire Size changes ago!

Yes the P205X75R15 's are good, the next closest size: P215X70R15 is pushing the limit of the 4 1/2 Inch wide Wheels a bit, and any larger than those those two is WAY too much for those wheels.

Many people error on the safe side and use Ford Crown Victoria or Big rear wheel drive Chrysler 5 1/2 or 6 Inch wide X15" wheels designed for Radial Tires. The "offset" needs to be 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 Inches to clear the front floor and front and rear Wheelwells.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Your G78's are about 46 Years old, several GENERATIONS of Tire Size changes ago!
          Thanks! The G78 was also one of the only two that was holding air when the cars were delivered!

Comment

Looks like fun Aaron!
            Despite the two cars looking quite different, the front sheet metal of the '63 will bolt on to the front of the '64 (if you desire to mix and match).
            The first car I did body work on was a 1963 Lark 4-door sedan, I experimented with wire welding and sheet metal screws for patching the floors.
            Studebaker International has a water pump rebuild kit for $65 and they have starter motor brushes for $13.50 for a set of 4. Your brushes are probably fine however.
            The alternator on the Lark appears to be a Chrysler unit whereas the Commander has the proper Prestolite alternator.
            I believe that the oil bath air cleaner was a factory option for severe duty applications (lots of gravel road driving, for example). Typically they were equipped with a dry filter element.
            You may want to consider joining the national Studebaker club and then you can join a local Studebaker club chapter, that way you can meet local Studebaker enthusiasts whom may also have used parts available for cheap.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I pulled the head off the Lark's engine to see if it had been damaged, so far it looks like it just needs a good cleaning. One thing that stands out is the gasket does not have the same size holes for some of the passages and is even missing some holes. I am going to pull the head off the commander which is still stuck to compare the gaskets. I think someone may have rebuilt the Lark and the available gaskets are wrong. The picture on Olsons Gaskets shows the style gasket that I took out of the Lark. Does anybody else produce the head gaskets?
              I pulled the head off the 63 Lark to see what its condition is. Nothing looks broken so far. Is the head gasket wrong for this head?

Comment

Make sure you bring the head(s) to a good engine shop and have them fluxed for cracks. These engines are very prone to cracks. Also, hoping no cracks... have them plane as little off the surface to true up for install. Good money spent. GL Enjoy your posts...There are tons of NOS engine kits out there where everything fits. Might want to replace rubber...

Comment

I should be able to pull the engine on Saturday, assuming the weather is good. I finally have the shop manual in hand, I will see what info I can copy down for when I bring the head to a local shop. I still have to order the gasket set, I am waiting to see what the bearings look like before I put too much more into rebuilding this engine. The Commander engine is still seized but has allowed the ATF/acetone mix to leak down past the rings. In the meantime:

Name:	bachelor_life_sm.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1712711

Comment

Now that is a Stude Nut's breakfast Luck, Doofus

Comment

I have pulled the engine, I separated the engine plate from the bell housing and just picket it straight up, two washing's with foaming de-greaser and it still has a layer of grease. I will pressure wash it after I have it disassembled completely. I pulled one piston so far, the rings look brand new, but the bearing for the crankshaft is pitted and does not feel smooth. I have to figure out how to determine which size bearing set to order. It may be easier to order the standard size, platigage it then order the appropriate size bearing off of that measurement. What do you think?

Name:	bearing.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1712888

Comment

Look on the back of the bearing shell, often they are marked in printed ink with the size. Several engines i have taken apart in the past, even with high miles, the numbers were still legible. Now, as to that bearing wear, better get that crank checked. Not a good sign.

SK

Originally posted by Garthok View Post
                        I have pulled the engine, I separated the engine plate from the bell housing and just picket it straight up, two washing's with foaming de-greaser and it still has a layer of grease. I will pressure wash it after I have it disassembled completely. I pulled one piston so far, the rings look brand new, but the bearing for the crankshaft is pitted and does not feel smooth. I have to figure out how to determine which size bearing set to order. It may be easier to order the standard size, platigage it then order the appropriate size bearing off of that measurement. What do you think?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]62818[/ATTACH]

Comment

All parts are available through vendors.
                          Many are still available through local parts houses.
                          The vendors use Studebaker parts numbers so having the body and the chassis catalogs are needed.
                          The shop manual will be invaluable to you.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I wouldn't take another step until I had the cylinder head checked for cracks..... All the lower end engine diagnosis/work/repair are all for nothing if you've got no head...remember: that's the weak link in your engine(s)....

Comment

Good advice jackb, I have the head ready to take to the shop, just have to find a day that I can be late to work. I did get the shop manual on CD, I have to read through it still. and it looks like all of the bearings are marked 1553946 B on the back. The second set looks better than the first.

Name:	crankshaft.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1712898Click image for larger version

Name:	20170313_183512.jpg
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1712899Click image for larger version

Name:	piston2bearings.jpg
Size:	169.9 KB