Tires: Going Retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tires: Going Retro

I've used radial tires uneventfully on original Studebaker wheels since Michelins were first mass-marketed (through Sears) for domestic cars fifty years ago. But just because I've never had a wheel failure doesn't prove anything more than my avoidance thus far of bodily lightning strikes.

That's why I'm about to order up some bias ply tires for my Speedster... something I never expected to do. The wheels are original, prior owner boasted of years of high-speed exploits. The so-called "Speedster wires" (the simulated wire wheel covers and center caps standard on this car and optional on other 1953 through early 1956 models) are so identified with this model that I don't want to swap them out. Unlike ordinary Studebaker wheel covers, these doubtless wouldn't fit the wider Ford wheels of the sort I use with nice 215/75R15 Goodyear radial wide whites on my 56J. Besides, the only 75-series radials close to the diameter of the old 7.10 are the 215/75 size, seriously wide for the old wheels. The bias-look 7.10R15 American Classics look the part but are $$$. Besides, there's the lingering concern of use of radials on the well-used early wheels.

I'm inclined to chance the continued use of quality Michelins on the Avanti. Wheels are indeed factory but NOS, only recently peeled off the South Bend parts numbers and installed. Car isn't going to see a lot of thrashing in my hands. Using the original set of wheels, the prior owner of the Avanti used radials happily for about forty years. Realize that's only anecdotal, but wondering if the risk might be slightly overblown under some circumstances. Still, it's foolish to ignore informed advice.

For the '55, I was thinking of the Firestone or the Goodyear "Super Cushion Deluxe" 7.10-15 tires with 2.75" whitewalls. Anybody out there have any specific experience with either tire?

Gil
    Last edited by riversidevw; 02-11-2017, 08:22 AM.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Coker now makes a radial that looks exactly like the bias ply tires of old. Pie Crust edges and all, and narrow too. They give all the benefits of radial tracking without being so wide that they put any added strain on the wheels.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      Coker now makes a radial that looks exactly like the bias ply tires of old. Pie Crust edges and all, and narrow too. They give all the benefits of radial tracking without being so wide that they put any added strain on the wheels.
      Thanks. Believe that's the same American Classic "bias-look" tire that I referred to earlier. Apparently it's a "Coker" tire when they sell it. It's fairly new, I was hoping that somebody might share their experience with it. Some might assert that the added strain on the wheels comes from radial construction, not just the width. But those seem beautiful.

Gil

Added Note: I've assumed that Coker is a major distributor and sometimes a "store brand." not a tire manufacturer. Am I wrong? I usually try to research the actual source of my tires, collector car products or otherwise. Store brands can be great, sometimes... not so much.
      Last edited by riversidevw; 02-10-2017, 09:40 PM.
      Gil Zimmerman
      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
      1956 Golden Hawk
      1958 Packard Hawk
      1958 President
      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
        Thanks. Believe that's the same American Classic "bias-look" tire that I referred to earlier. Apparently it's a "Coker" tire when they sell it. It's fairly new, I was hoping that somebody might share their experience with it. Some might assert that the added strain on the wheels comes from radial construction, not just the width. But those seem beautiful.

Gil

Added Note: I've assumed that Coker is a major distributor and sometimes a "store brand." not a tire manufacturer. Am I wrong? I usually try to research the actual source of my tires, collector car products or otherwise. Store brands can be great, sometimes... not so much.
        Yes and no. They do actually manufacture some tires, having purchased old molds to do so, and they also have tires manufactured to their specs by other tire manufactures just like store brand tires. The also distribute-so they are a kind of "all level" tire company. I rarely see any complaints about their products regardless of source, good reputation.

Comment

It's fairly interesting to review and compare the specifications for a lot of our collector tires. The nominal dimensions (cross-sections of 6.70, 7.10 inches or metric sizes like 205 and 215 millimeters) correspond to actual dimensions that are all over the map. To keep it simple, I'm looking at American Classic radials (tires that I've used and like). The "bias ply-look" 7.10 actually has a cross-section of 7.7". Great, that's about 196mm; in the late sixties the long-lost tall-profile 195R15 always seemed about right for our mid-fifties Studebaker wheels. Incidentally, American Classic's "bias-look" 6.70 does indeed have a narrower cross-section than the 7.10 version... but the overall diameters and tread widths of both sizes are identical.

My Speedster has for several years used 205/75R15 American Classic narrow stripe radials. So the cross-section is 205mm? Nope, it's 211mm. And an old friend and collector of first generation Vettes has urged me to switch to 215/75 wide whites on my 5" rims, just as he did on his fuel-injected '61. I was tempted. But the published cross-section of the tires isn't actually 215mm. It's a chubby 8.9 inches or 226mm.

We are fortunate to have a much better selection of quality tires for collector cars than I could have envisioned in the eighties. But one shouldn't rely entirely upon the advertised nominal tire sizes.

Gil
          Last edited by riversidevw; 02-11-2017, 08:24 PM.
          Gil Zimmerman
          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
          1956 Golden Hawk
          1958 Packard Hawk
          1958 President
          1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
            Yes and no. They do actually manufacture some tires, having purchased old molds to do so, and they also have tires manufactured to their specs by other tire manufactures just like store brand tires. The also distribute-so they are a kind of "all level" tire company. I rarely see any complaints about their products regardless of source, good reputation.
            Thanks for clarifying the information on Coker. I purchased a nice set of Firestone bias-ply tires for a Lincoln about 25 years ago, probably without ever realizing that they were supplied by Coker.

Another reputable but smaller supplier of collector tires is Kelsey Tires in Missouri, the exclusive national distributor for Goodyear's own line of vintage style tires. John Kelsey's parents for many years operated a quality antique car museum at the same location. I recall a summer day in 1955. My older brother invited his twelve year old sibling (me) along for a drive in his brand new '55 Chevy V8. The day started off badly with the Bel Air fuel pump failing along a remote stretch of rural highway. But things got better with a visit to the Kelsey Museum. Later in the evening I spotted my first coral-white-gray '55 Studebaker hardtop. But I was confused by the gold President scripts on the rear fenders. Guess I had also just seen my first Vernon-built Speedster. Kelsey sells directly to retail customers, but I purchased his Goodyears for my 56J through a local dealer for a little less.

It seems that for a bias-ply tire, the Firestone-branded 7.10-15 with 2.75" white sidewall (SKU 579885) would be about right for my tastes, especially as most of the OEM tires were apparently Firestone. These have the raised black rib along the outer circumference of the white wall. I'm rather looking forward to experiencing the old technology again. As much as I enjoy the radials, many of them have seemed to feel a little vague (without much on-center feel) on these older cars. Will be interesting to test my memory.

Thanks.

Gil
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Been happy with BF Goodrich and Firestone 6.70 x15. The 56 Hawk does not have PS and with 6.70 tires it does not need it. Cannot complain about ride either.

Comment

If I were unsure of the soundness of my wheels perhaps they could be magnafluxed. I think I'd not hesitate to run the more modern tires on my old wheels unless I planned to do some historic track racing.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

UPDATE: Somehow I kept postponing writing that check for those bias-ply Coker Firestones. Then, ten days ago the Speedster brought home an unexpected Best of Show ribbon at a small, collegial local car gathering. A good local tire shop had contributed a $400 gift certificate for the day's event.

Certificate in hand, I abruptly changed course and ordered those bias-look American Classic 7.10R15 radials with the 2.75" whitewall. Appearance and small details of the tires are great. I had them installed this morning, replacing American Classic's 205/75R15s. I had a chance to compare driving impressions of both tires on the back roads between home and the shop (eight miles each way). It's difficult to explain, but the slightly narrower width (tread and cross section) and more authentic tread pattern just felt "right." And comfort was improved, small impacts almost unnoticed. That's a plus after the HD front and rear Eaton springs I chose a decade ago for this car. The proper diameter of the tires is (to me) a noticeable improvement, gets the nose of the car and the fog lamps higher off the ground. Incidentally, speedometer readings were Star Wars warp-speed crazy when I acquired the car, still optimistic after installing a NOS 3.31 Twin Traction setup. Based upon a couple of nagging roadside radar speed reminders, readings were dead accurate on the drive home.

Only qualm is that I was an organizer of the car show, I'm the guy who solicited that sponsorship from the tire dealer. Show also boasted a perfect '57 Bel Air convertible, a fine '61 F.I. Corvette, a late model Ford GT mid-engine, a vintage Morgan, and more... all worthy automobiles.

But I very much like the Speedster's new shoes, and I enjoy driving the car more with them installed. It's a striking and uncommonly seen machine. A man in his seventies driving a late-model Bentley sedan followed me into the tire shop's parking lot this morning to get a look and speak to me. He had never forgotten a "lemon & lime" Speedster owned by a friend in his youth, one with the aftermarket removable hardtop setup. Might even be the same one occasionally driven by a student at my high school in SoCal. Bentley driver hadn't seen a Speedster since.

My wife still thinks the gift certificate mostly paid for everything this morning.
                  Last edited by riversidevw; 05-16-2017, 05:57 PM.
                  Gil Zimmerman
                  Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                  1956 Golden Hawk
                  1958 Packard Hawk
                  1958 President
                  1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I have Coker Classics on my '50 Champion. I don't think they are radials though. Bias ply.
                    Driving these in the snow is a death wish. This is what my field trials have concluded.
                    1950 Champion
                    1962 MGA

Comment

A good friend rode 600+miles on a set of bias-ply BF Goodrich tires on my W4 Lark to and from the International Meet - he noted that it rode amazing smooth - then again, the operator's guide states that front tire pressure is to be set at 24 lbs and rear at 20 . I love the bias ply tires for two reasons: They make me pay attention to what I am doing because they do not perform to modern standards, and they look great... I am debating now about going back to the original size/black wall bias plys. Good luck.

Comment

62Champ;
                        What tires are on your Lark?

I am at the point I need to replace the tires again AFTER I rebuild my front suspension and I want to do the wide whitewalls on it. I am open to bias play as well as radials. I currently have Uniroyal Tiger Paw 205's and they are a little small in diameter for my speedo liking. (About 5% fast) I also want to get it back up a bit.

I do, however, drive my car a lot and fast (70-90 is not uncommon.)

My other consideration is the Coker Classics.
                        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
                          62Champ;
                          What tires are on your Lark?
                          They are currently 6.70 X 15 - original tires for a 60SW4 would have been either 5.90 or 6.00s.

Comment

Apparently the "bias-look" American Classic whitewall radials in the 6.70 and 7.10R15 sizes are only offered with 2.75" width of the white sidewall. There are several black sidewall versions in many sizes, at least on the Lucas website. These are all referred to as Coker American Classic on Coker and Summit websites, fairly confusing as there is also Coker's own different line of Coker Classic radials. The 2.75" whitewall is perfect for mid-fifties, perhaps slightly wide for '58 and later authenticity. They would look good on the black '58 President (has 15" wheels since new), but I've blown my budget for now.

Really nice looking 7.10 tires, though.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by riversidevw; 05-19-2017, 03:18 PM.
                            Gil Zimmerman
                            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                            1956 Golden Hawk
                            1958 Packard Hawk
                            1958 President
                            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I'm fairly sure I posted this when I purchased my first set of American Classic radials about nine years ago, but staff at Lucas Tire informed me that they were manufactured by the McCreary Tire Company (established 1915) in Pennsylvania. Company now better known as Specialty Tires, whose products include aircraft and racing tires (a line called American Racer). They do no direct sales, all marketing is through distributors like Lucas, Coker and others. My new set were ordered through a local tire dealer (Bud's Tires), so I don't know which distributor he used.

Here's an outlet that posts decent illustrations of the various "bias-look" radials, black and whitewall:

American Classic Tires Free Shipping 760-731-8303. Bias-Look steel belted radials. Discount prices. American Classic wide white walls. Friendly advice is a phone call away.

Gil
                              Last edited by riversidevw; 05-20-2017, 02:02 PM. Reason: Added information
                              Gil Zimmerman
                              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                              1956 Golden Hawk
                              1958 Packard Hawk
                              1958 President
                              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
                              X