Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge info needed 60 hawk

just switched to alternator so my amp gauge is non functional
    does any have info on diameter size of factory gauge?
    Do any know which gauge showing volts for alternator will fit that hole and look close to original?
    Thank you for your help

Not an electrical expert, but which type alternator did you install? Your gauge is still functional, it's just not correctly wired anymore, as the old wires and regulator were probably bypassed or removed. Depending on the AMP rating of the new alternator your old gauge can still be used, if wired correctly and utilizing a shunt. If you just want to convert from an AMP gauge to a Volt gauge most any Stewart Warner gauge will fit the hole, nothing will look exactly the same, graphic styles, number sizes, and needles are all different 50 years later. The size of the holes in the dash will fit the new ones but the bezels will be a bit different looking in profile and now are stainless not chrome. The chrome bezels are NLA but you can "try" swapping out bezels with some careful prying see: http://www.stewartwarner.com/en-US/P...Deluxe™.aspx Tell us what you used-one wire, 3 wire integrated regulator or remote, and then someone will tell you how to rewire so the gauge will function again.

Comment

Amp guage does not care about anything but amps....and polarity.
      If yours is not working, then you have either a failed gauge, or a wiring issue.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

thanks

Thanks All, found size is 2 1/8 and ordered an SW voltage gauge

Originally posted by Ira View Post
        just switched to alternator so my amp gauge is non functional
        does any have info on diameter size of factory gauge?
        Do any know which gauge showing volts for alternator will fit that hole and look close to original?
        Thank you for your help

Comment

Any 12 Volt Power source like the "Batt." Terminal of the Ignition Switch will power up a Volt Meter, but of course it will never show the charge rate, or Accessory draw like an Amp. Meter, only the Voltage AFTER the fact.

In some people's mind, the greatest thing since sliced bread.
          In my opinion, a useless tool.

The small gauge holes in Hawk Dashes are 2 Inches, the Gauge Bezels are 2 1/8", fairly Standard size.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks

thanks for your help Rich
            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Any 12 Volt Power source like the "Batt." Terminal of the Ignition Switch will power up a Volt Meter, but of course it will never show the charge rate, or Accessory draw like an Amp. Meter, only the Voltage AFTER the fact.

In some people's mind, the greatest thing since sliced bread.
            In my opinion, a useless tool.

The small gauge holes in Hawk Dashes are 2 Inches, the Gauge Bezels are 2 1/8", fairly Standard size.

Comment

Ira, if this is the SW voltmeter you ordered, know that it is deeper than the stock gauge. On my 60 Hawk I needed to cut the back off the retaining cage (that holds both the ameter and temp gauge) then run a separate ground wire to the new voltmeter terminal.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1712239
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota
              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

thanks

thanks but it is a Classic gauge
                Free Shipping - Classic Instruments All-American Nickel Series Gauges with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Gauges at Summit Racing.

this is what i found on Classic site and best guess is "aux gauge" http://www.classicinstruments.com/us...Dimensions.pdf shows 2 3/8
                do you think i will need to cut box?
                thanks

Originally posted by BShaw View Post
                Ira, if this is the SW voltmeter you ordered, know that it is deeper than the stock gauge. On my 60 Hawk I needed to cut the back off the retaining cage (that holds both the ameter and temp gauge) then run a separate ground wire to the new voltmeter terminal.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]61675[/ATTACH]

Comment

It has been quite a while since I installed mine so I don't recall its depth. My gut tells me you might have to modify that retaining cage as I did. Perhap someone else on the forum has a stock Hawk ameter gauge on the shelf they could do a comparative measurement for you.
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                  X